Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outsourcing DCA

• Armchair Imagineer

Lightbulb Outsourcing DCA

Having just returned from Tokyo Disneyland, I must say that I am somewhat ashamed at our American Disney Parks. Both Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySeas was spotless, immaculately maintained, and all of the attractions were working. It left me musing -- this is a park that is NOT owned by Disney, but appears to let the Imagineers actually do their job without money constraints. Does this not sound like Uncle Walt's way?

Perhaps it is time that Disney consider turning DCA over to a similar entity (in Japan's case, the Toyo Land Company). Take a percentage of the Gate and require them to use the Imagineers for all attractions -- but more importantly, let them rework DCA completely.

Thoughts?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Outsourcing DCA

TDLFAN! Calling TDLFAN!

It's the Oriental Land Company, not Tokyo. I don't think selling the park would help anything. I honestly don't think OLC is as great in freedom as people believe. ToT and Raging Spirits are not wholey original ideas. I also think the CMs and cleanliness has a LOT to do wih Japanese culture (I've hear a lot of Japan is similar). So you'd just have American kids up in arms over being "exploited".

unless they got the Oriental Lands Comapany to do it I'm not going to recommend that idea

most american companies are cheeper and do alot worse then what Disney does

that's why Disney is the best there is in these states because no other company cares to invest the money that they do

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    TDLFAN! Calling TDLFAN!

It's the Oriental Land Company, not Tokyo. I don't think selling the park would help anything. I honestly don't think OLC is as great in freedom as people believe. ToT and Raging Spirits are not wholey original ideas. I also think the CMs and cleanliness has a LOT to do wih Japanese culture (I've hear a lot of Japan is similar). So you'd just have American kids up in arms over being "exploited".
    true

those rides were both added to help TDS with it's attendance problems

and the cleanliness probably does have a bit to do with the culture but I suppose the argument is being made about the amount spent on the initial construction and theming of the park and the fact that unlike DLP that upkeep hasn't decreased and the park still looks brand new

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9
    Having just returned from Tokyo Disneyland, I must say that I am somewhat ashamed at our American Disney Parks. Both Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySeas was spotless, immaculately maintained, and all of the attractions were working. It left me musing -- this is a park that is NOT owned by Disney, but appears to let the Imagineers actually do their job without money constraints. Does this not sound like Uncle Walt's way?

Perhaps it is time that Disney consider turning DCA over to a similar entity (in Japan's case, the Toyo Land Company). Take a percentage of the Gate and require them to use the Imagineers for all attractions -- but more importantly, let them rework DCA completely.

Thoughts?
    How much would OLC want from this supposed deal? Maybe a percentage of the Disneyland gate. That's what DCA kind of gets from its favorable geographic location and forced combined financial analysis.

From what I've read, the OLC's deal with Disney REQUIRES them to do things "The Disney Way," circa 1965 or so. Perhaps someone simply needs to remind TDA of the Disney Way. Starting with a certain pricing scheme.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Yeah - these ownership deals have nothing to do with management. These owners are for tax and investment reasons. Disney can have less asset exposure when they have a 3rd party owner yet still control their interests, it happens all the time. Also local businesses are set up so because of international ownership issues. My company for instance set up a wholly owned subsidiary in the UK because of the rules not allowing us to do sales in that country without going through severe tax penalties.

It could be however the cultural work ethic, the local wage or the talent actually hired to helm the parks that make the difference.

• Donald's #1 Fan

If Disney ever outsourced the parks, they'd do it to the people who gave them maximum profits, which would mean they'd never give it to the Oriental Lands Company... they'd use a cheap Chinese or Indian company, and all CM's would speak with a thick accent...

• Zero Blockout Dates

Not just no, but Hell No, thank you very much indeed.

DCA simply needs to be blended into DL proper. Knock down Innovations and there's a clean shot from Tomorrowland to the Tower of Terror. Just make it all one big park.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I think making it all one park would be a horrible idea. It would completely ruin the the hub style of the park, and DCA and Disneyland really have nothing thematically to connect them, unless they pulled some really lame "Disneyland is a lasting part of California" and then made Disneyland the Disneyland Land of DCA...ack....

• Having a Grand Day!

Weve been on this rollercoaster so many times it's not funny.

The OLC has it's own problems, and would not survive one day in the Ammerican Market. The only reason the OLC has the Tokyo Park is it was easier for Disney to break into the Japanese market that way.

We need to change Disney, not sweep the problem under the rug by outsourcing and pay for it later, like Imagineering and Animation allready has.

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    Weve been on this rollercoaster so many times it's not funny.

The OLC has it's own problems, and would not survive one day in the Ammerican Market. The only reason the OLC has the Tokyo Park is it was easier for Disney to break into the Japanese market that way.

We need to change Disney, not sweep the problem under the rug by outsourcing and pay for it later, like Imagineering and Animation allready has.
    I agree, Disney needs to be fixed... outsourcing wouldn't fix Disney.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

I cringe anytime someone suggests making DL and DCA one park.
    BBLLYECCCCCHHHHHHHHHHH~ with the emphasis on
    YECCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as turning over operation/imagineering to Oriental Land
    Company, not so sure it would be as good as it first sounds. They
    would be in the same boat a Matt, trying to "fix" that park that
    has all those challenges. Matt has been doing pretty well, and
    with John L. at the helm of Imagineering, let's let them do their jobs.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Last edited by Uzmati; 05-30-2006 at 06:16 PM.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Zero Blockout Dates

Last edited by Uzmati; 05-30-2006 at 06:16 PM.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Official Mice Chat person

I believe DCA will be able to stand on it's own eventually.But combining DCA to Disneyland wouldn't solve DCA's problems at all. It would only make DL look bad... And would probably double the single day price ticket cost. It's all the same, wheter they are connected or not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast