Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: My Walt Disney and Disneyland School Essay

Quote Originally Posted by Lacrossedragon

Look, Disney was a genius okay, but not a divine God. It just annoys me that 99% of the stuff about him skips over his faults. I love Sigmund Freud and his writings, but I'll be the first to write about how messed up he really was (phallic/mother/etc).
    I agree. But it is also hard to find books and videos that evenly portray Walts positive and negative sides. Most likely you will find books that only phraise him. I do know that their are books that talk about his anti-sematic views, but not many.

So I don't really think ADD is to blame for not talking about Walts negatives .

Heck I've written so many reports on Walt too and it is very rare that any information you read or see on this man will address his negatives.

...I guess it all depends on where you look.

I wrote a 7 Pg essay on Walts contributions to the wars and I must say, the information I found about his deal with Communists & Communism was really interesting (He was accused of being a Communist in Hollywood).
    Last edited by Disney Wrassler; 05-27-2006 at 09:41 AM.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    I don't need helpful hints, geez. It was the rules.

I'm serious, why does everyone on this site have to tear things apart - just read it and enjoy it for what it is.
    It seemed like a simple little helpful hint, I didn't see any tearing.

To be fair, YOU posted it on the "World Wide Web"

I didn't see you complaining about positive helpful hints.

• That Guy

Also, some tips for college.

Buy the style guide for whatever your college uses. I was a counseling major, so we used the APA guide. It will tell you everything you ever need to know about formatting, it's a life saver.

Also, in college if they ask for a five page paper and you turn in a 19 page paper, you will get a "F" In high school it showed initiative to do extra work, in College, it justs pisses off the prof. or TA grading. My profs would skim the paper to see if it met the minimum requirements to read. If your formatting, cover sheet, citations, etc. were incorrect, they would just fail your paper and not bother to read it.

In four years you will look back at this paper with pride, but you'll also look back with a new appreciation and critical thinking skills and I think it's safe to say you will have a different approach.

But I think we'd all agree a very strong effort for high school. Well done and best of luck in the future.
    Last edited by Max Fischer; 05-27-2006 at 04:37 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I agree Max. My Professors always clarify how many pages we can have as a minimum and maximum in our reports. If it is too long they will let it be known that they will not read it unless it's edited down.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer
    Also, some tips for college.

Buy the style guide for whatever your college uses. I was a counseling major, so we used the APA guide. It will tell you everything you ever need to know about formatting, it's a life saver.

Also, in college if they ask for a five page paper and you turn in a 19 page paper, you will get a "F" In high school it showed initiative to do extra work, in College, it justs pisses off the prof. or TA grading. My profs would skim the paper to see if it met the minimum requirements to read. If you formatting, cover sheet, citations, etc. were incorrect, they would just fail your paper and not bother to read it.

I four years you will look back at this paper with pride, but you'll also look back with a new appreciation and critical thinking skills and I think it's safe to say you will have a different approach.

But I think we'd all agree a very strong effort for high school. Well done and best of luck in the future.
    It really depends on the teache, just because you turn in the 19 pages dosen't mean you will recieve an F.
    Jeff Wayne

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I guess in the end, as I begin reading through this, I'm incredibly confused. Your thesis, or what you're trying to prove, is that Disney was essentially a dreamer and was able to turn all of those fantasies into realities, correct?

If so, then most of the biographical information simply doesn't help prove that, especially with how you executed it. The only reason I mention this is because you said you turned in a 19 page, double-spaced paper, yet a lot of it seems to just be there without any purpose.

If you WERE going for a more biographical paper about Disney, cool, but the thesis doesn't reflect that goal.

Just to give perspective, I only mention these things based on what I learned in Pre-AP Honors English (which I just finished taking).
    Last edited by Twist_of_Fate; 05-27-2006 at 05:21 PM.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff
    It really depends on the teache, just because you turn in the 19 pages dosen't mean you will recieve an F.

True, I suppose it depends on your prof and college. In undergrad they baby you a bit more, but for most profs. if you can't follow basic directions, they don't want to see it.

It's kind of like in Jr. High, if you didn't put your name on the correct line, etc. Like those old 'Read ALL directions before starting the exam' and the last items tells you to ignore all the other directions, sign your name at the top of the paper and put down your pen, you're done.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    From what I read, it was a well written and thorough analysis of Walt Disney's life. You could have gone slightly more in depth on certain matters, and dropped others. Good job for a senior exit project!
    I'm an 8th grade lol

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate
    I guess in the end, as I begin reading through this, I'm incredibly confused. Your thesis, or what you're trying to prove, is that Disney was essentially a dreamer and was able to turn all of those fantasies into realities, correct?

If so, then most of the biographical information simply doesn't help prove that, especially with how you executed it. The only reason I mention this is because you said you turned in a 19 page, double-spaced paper, yet a lot of it seems to just be there without any purpose.

If you WERE going for a more biographical paper about Disney, cool, but the thesis doesn't reflect that goal.

Just to give perspective, I only mention these things based on what I learned in Pre-AP Honors English (which I just finished taking).
    The thesis was for you guys. I didn't use it in my paper - I should have nopt even icluded it lol because you guys are right, it sucked.

Very vague discription.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Lacrossedragon

Look, Disney was a genius okay, but not a divine God. It just annoys me that 99% of the stuff about him skips over his faults. I love Sigmund Freud and his writings, but I'll be the first to write about how messed up he really was (phallic/mother/etc).
    Then, lol, what were Disney faults?

He had some (I think some where I heard he was a spy) but um I would LOVE to hear your points on Disney's faults, for I don't know many of them.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

It's not a BAD thesis, it's just that I don't think it fits the paper. Althought I think the thesis and the idea behind it would have made for a really good paper.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Twist_of_Fate

Excellent Point. Well I guess if I used the thesis, it should have included the steps on how he made those dreams come true. It really was on a paper just on his whole entire life, not just Disney and his films- which I should have focused on hahaha instead of trying to do his whole life. I just found Flora's terrible death and Lillian Disney just so interesting that I simply had to write about them.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    Then, lol, what were Disney faults?

He had some (I think some where I heard he was a spy) but um I would LOVE to hear your points on Disney's faults, for I don't know many of them.
    four reasons were that he was said to be Anti-Sematic, he was accussed of being a Communist, hated unions, and some say he treated his employees bad (underpaid them).

If he did underpay them, no wonder he hated Unions.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Read:
    "Walt Disney: Hollywood's Dark Prince."

Although I heard that many of the stories in the book have been de-bunked by others

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    four reasons were that he was said to be Anti-Sematic, he was accussed of being a Communist, hated unions, and some say he treated his employees bad (underpaid them).

If he did underpay them, no wonder he hated Unions.
    Are you serious??????!!!!!

He treated his emplyees bad- how so?

I thought he treated everyone so nice?

*Plus that wouldn't sound good on my report

And give Walt some damn credit people. For a man who started off so rough, he did a damn good job finishing it lol

I mean, let's be honest, were on a DISNEY CHAT SITE, so he must have done a few things right!

But please actually go further into detail. Telling me he was a communist doesn't change my views on him. Give some examles.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast