Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Donald's #1 Fan

Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried/Jumped into the DCA body of water

I've swimmed in worse stuff... BTW, I did get sick the one time I did it, so... never again.

• I love my family!

I have pulled a bucket of water out of the ROA and apart from the dye the water is as clean as can be expected. You have to remember there is life in that water and thats besides the ducks.

The river is no where near as bad as it could be.

I have also never noticed the odor form the river mist, maybe you were near so smelly tourists

• Winter in Oceanside...

I know that our Kelly has been in the DCA water.

Kelly? Where are you? These people want stories!

ok guys get this. the ROA water is CLEAN. it is filtered everyday and it dyed green so you cant see the Mark Twains/Columbias guide rail. I know this because i talk to one of the scuba divers for Fantasmic!
    pshhh i guess

I fell off a Jet Ski both in the East River and the Hudson... Nothing happened, besides this itchy pentagram shaped rash.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Swim in it, bathe in it, bottle it and sell it for 2.75 a bottle to the daytrippers. I'll pass thanks.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

I think the Quality of that water rivals the Anaheim Sewage treatment plant. Swim there, come out looking like a member of the Oblong family.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by Treat
    ok guys get this. the ROA water is CLEAN. it is filtered everyday and it dyed green so you cant see the Mark Twains/Columbias guide rail. I know this because i talk to one of the scuba divers for Fantasmic!
    Source: http://www.disneylies.com/disneyland...r/canoes.shtml

...The canoes have gone through a number of changes over the years. After complains about untold cases of samonella and other diseases caused by the duck-waste-riddled waters of the Rivers of America, guests are now given paddles with which to power the boat instead of being expected to use their hands "like real explorers."

Trivia: Because of the large number of ducks that inhabit (and do other things) in the river, and because the river's water is not filtered, this is some of the most foul liquid to be found outside of a sewage treatment plant. Hint: when the river was first filled, the water was so clear that you could see the bottom

Source: Al Lutz's MousePlanet
    http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mt010813dk

The Jungle Stinks

August 13, 2001

One night the week before last, the Jungle Cruise shut down for the night—and took Fantasmic with it.
    According to a West Side host: "There was a problem with the water system in the Adventureland area that caused raw sewage to be pumped into the Jungle Cruise water. I was told that before the ride closed a couple guests vomited at the sight of solid waste floating down the Nile River. One child asked if they let the animals use the waterways as a toilet. Eventually the water flooded onto the Adventureland and Frontierland walkways with this disgusting mix of Jungle Cruise and sewer water—not that the Jungle Cruise water is necessarily that clean under normal conditions. Guests were forced to exit the West Side of the park via the Big Thunder Trail into Fantasyland."
    As a result of either the flooding or of the contamination spreading to the Rivers of America, the 10:30 performance of Fantasmic was canceled.
    According to a Facilities veteran, "This happens on a regular basis in the last few years. It used to be that contamination would occur when the heavy rains caused the sewers to back up, maybe once a year, but since (new Facilities management) took over, it can happen once a month, somewhere in the park."
    He says the most common causes are the Custodial department no longer hosing backstage, which helped to keep sewer lines unclogged, and less frequent emptying of park septic tanks.
    My advice: Don't go swimming in the river.

Source Al Lutz's Mouse Planet: http://www.mouseplanet.com/archive/update30.htm

7/9 Update- The River story you didn't read in the Times / Zippity Do Dah, Zippty aye - My oh my, What a woeful delay... /N - E - S - T - L - E - S, What spells GHOST the very best? /More Executive Spin! - California Adventure's attendance push - Electrical Parade confusion /California Mis-Adventures/Castle Chat/ Happier days remembered / Happier Meal Toys
    The River story you didn't read in the Times
    The Disneyland "Rivers of America" attractions that were closed this past Thursday, and were mentioned in the LA Times, weren't actually closed because of the river itself, but because of Splash Mountain.
    Early on Thursday morning, Disneyland's Facilities department realized that the pumps and filters that keep Splash Mountain's water clean were not working. The Disneyland Safety department was called out to measure the cleanliness of the water, since the filters hadn't been working for at least a few days. The water was tested and found to be dirtier than normally allowed, with dust, leaves, Disneyland Today guides, churro wrappers and all sorts of things that riders drop in the water or lose. So, the unusual step of closing Splash right after the Park had opened was taken, and all the water was drained from the ride.
    To expedite the process of getting the dirty water out to replace with clean water, a giant hose was set up at the bottom of the last, big drop and the water was pumped into the Rivers of America by the canoe dock. It should be noted that the decision to close the popular water ride was argued over by several Disneyland departments and personalities that feel they have to prove their worth to the organization after the recent round of layoffs and massive reorganization, with rumors of more layoffs to come.
    With the morning turning into mid-day and the Park filling up with guests, the fact that Splash was closed and piping all of it's "dirty water" into the Rivers of America became a hot topic amongst Cast Members and inquisitive visitors alike. The Canoes were then shut down for the day as well, because the large hose emptying Splash could be seen discharging water right next to the dock where the canoes return from their trip around the Island.
    It quickly became a concern of hourly and salaried Cast Member's alike that the water that was apparently not good enough for riders on Splash may not be good enough for riders on the Mark Twain or Rafts. After much arguing and hand wringing amongst all sorts of departments (who remember are feeling threatened by the current dreary mood amongst salaried CM's), the entire crew of the Mark Twain and the Rafts were sent to First Aid to be checked out by the nurses and medical staff.
    More Disney staffers were called to the scene, then the state investigators who check hazardous materials were called to the Park, and all manner of testing and arguing then took place around the Rivers of America.
    Meanwhile, the Park had filled with a summer crowd of tens of thousands, and Splash, the Canoes, Tom Sawyer's Island, and the Mark Twain were all now closed to visitors. The political maneuvering then reached a fever pitch as all parties tried to defend their positions.
    Finally, after the River water was declared "safe to drink" by the state of California, (um, yes that muck with all that duck poo is considered safe, must be Dubya at work again) the Mark Twain and Tom Sawyer's Island reopened to visitors at 4 pm. (The Canoes never opened because the several dozen CM's that operate that attraction on a busy day had all been sent home.) Splash then never reopened that day, because the process of draining the entire attraction took hours longer than had originally been estimated early in the morning.
    After all the political fireworks and shameful Cast Member showboating on Thursday, Splash was finally able to reopen on Friday morning, with all new water. But as luck would then unfortunately have it, it was closed on Friday more often than it was opened due to a completely unrelated technical problem that Facilities kept trying to fix with patches that only lasted a few hours before the ride would break down again.
    Last edited by Uzmati; 05-27-2006 at 06:22 PM.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Is this some kind of dare?

I've had a few drinks tonight, so I'm in.

• Official Mice Chat person

I remember hearing something about how the first time they drained the ROA that they found a car bumper,a shopping cart and shoes. Or something like that.

And about grizzley river run using DCA's lake water, I don't think that's right because the lake water is dyed blue. The Grizzly river run water seems pretty clear.

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Smile Re: Has Anyone Ever Tried/Jumped into the DCA body of water

Ya know...... all thoughts of quality of water aside.... its the quality of the guests who don't ever even think to do this. (oooohhhh...burn!)

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Ew. Hehe.

Not to my knowledge.

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

from what i remember , is'nt the water near "SCREAMIN" like koolaid blue color?

My Maleficent tattoo

• Banned User

No way!

DCA's PP is full of bad ideas and uncreative imaginations!

Why on Earth would I want to go in "that"?

Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati
    Source: http://www.disneylies.com/disneyland...r/canoes.shtml

...The canoes have gone through a number of changes over the years. After complains about untold cases of samonella and other diseases caused by the duck-waste-riddled waters of the Rivers of America, guests are now given paddles with which to power the boat instead of being expected to use their hands "like real explorers."

Trivia: Because of the large number of ducks that inhabit (and do other things) in the river, and because the river's water is not filtered, this is some of the most foul liquid to be found outside of a sewage treatment plant. Hint: when the river was first filled, the water was so clear that you could see the bottom
    God, I love disneylies! Some of the stories on there are just so out there.

BTW, there used to be two large filters for the old waterfalls that were torn out (The name that is escaping me and driving me nuts right now) I do know that they would filter out larger objects (paper, leaves, etc) cause I saw them being cleaned once when I was a kid while going on the canoes. I have a feeling that those falls' pumps probably did a good job of sucking crud out of the water.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast