• Where's my other cent?

Tomorrowland Upgrade idea

Alright, so lots of threads have folks discussing what they want to see in TL. Get rid of Observatron, fix PM, new rides, etc. Since those ideas are kinda spread out in a bunch of threads, I thought I would post my idea here in response to all of this.

Basically, what I propose would encompass all of the ideas stated above. I am still working out the kinks in all of this, not to mention that I'm assuming that money isn't a factor. Ok, here goes...

First, Observatron gets removed. That space is going to be needed. What I think that TL needs more than anything else is some kind structual monument, something that is pleasing to the eye, something that draws people in. You might argue that Space Mountain does this, but you can't see it from the entrance, so I would disagree. Don't get me wrong, SM is beautiful and by far the coolest thing just to look at in TL. But, TL no longer has a weenie to draw people in. So, I would propose that such a weenie gets built on the Observatron platform. I envision a towering spire, very sleek, clean, futuristic. Make it out of glass, steel, use the most modern architecture techiniques. As far as height, perhaps somewhere between 100-150 ft. tall. This part is a guess because I don't know if there are any codes that limit structure height for the park. The idea is that it is tall, it reaches toward the sky, it draws people to look upwards towards where the future lies, be that space, aviation, skyscraper living, etc.

Now, this spire isn't going to be something just to look at. It will also play an important role in my new ride for TL. I envision a thrill ride that is themed around the latest in aviatoin technology. Has anyone heard of that jet that NASA tested not that long ago that went rediculously fast? Or developmental propulsion for jets that allow for unheard of manuverability while traveling at high speed? And I'm pretty sure that everyone has heard of SpaceShip 1 and the idea of private flights into space. Ok, so that's what we're shooting for here. No new track is required, it's already sitting there unused. The people mover track is long, and runs right towards and around where the spire would sit. Obviously, the track would have to be modified, banked turns, faster track, etc. but otherwise it's already there ready to be used. The loading area would have to change, perhaps somewhere in Innoventions where the track runs? This part is up in the air. Folks would get on the ride in jet-shaped cars, and then would blast around the PM track at high speeds, the idea being to simulate jet flight. Then, when they reach the spire, the cars don't circle it, they climb it. Track is added and modified to circle up the spire at a rapid pace, simulating a climb into space, and then "fall" back down in a much wilder fashion, to simulate the various manuvering capabilities of new aircraft. It would match back up with the PM track and return to a regular flight pattern, finally bringing the riders back to the loading area. For the dark areas of the ride, you might stop the cars and have some sort of "briefing" for the "pilots" explaining the various functions of the aircraft. Perhaps the whole ride could be a sort of test flight, so that the riders become test pilots.

Now, about the use of the PM track. I'm sure that some purests won't like it because they would rather see the original PM return. I, personally, never got the opportunity to ride it. It looks great, and I would be very excited to see it return. However, what I'm trying to present is something big and exciting to intice the TDA folks who may think that the PM was boring, or want a bigger challenge.

Finally, and this may be reaching a bit, I would put a restaraunt at the top of the spire. I like the idea of having something the resembles the old space station mock-ups from the Tomorrowland segments on Disneyland USA. You could have it slowly spinning around the top so that folks get a wide view of the park from the many windows along the side. You would have to take an elevtor through the spire up to the top. This would probably have to be a Blue Bayou-type restaraunt, with reservations required, etc. Again, this is probably the most ambitious part of all of this, so it may not work.

Ok, that's pretty much it. It's still pretty rough, so please be kind with your criticism. I would love to hear some feedback to help develop this idea, so let me know what you think, what would you change, would this draw you to TL or not, etc. Hope you all like it.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    zach1:

That sounds cool!

• "Roast Duck"

what if they got rid of PM track...and got rid of the whole track in between Star Tours and Buzz...and move Astro Orbitor in that center area where Observatron is currently at...except make Astro Orbitor at ground level...this way the "draw in" or what disney calls, the "weiner" of the land...this way, when you look down into the land, there's a big centerpiece that will draw you into the land...enhance it with cool lighting at night and BAM...you got a whole new area...
    Went to a party the other night
    All the ladies were treating me right
    Moving my feet to the disco beat
    How in the world could I keep my seat
    All of a sudden I began to change
    I was on the dance floor acting strange
    Flapping my arms I began to cluck
    Look at me..I'm the disco duck

"Do the Disco Duck!!!"

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Duck
    what if they got rid of PM track...and got rid of the whole track in between Star Tours and Buzz...and move Astro Orbitor in that center area where Observatron is currently at...except make Astro Orbitor at ground level...this way the "draw in" or what disney calls, the "weiner" of the land...this way, when you look down into the land, there's a big centerpiece that will draw you into the land...enhance it with cool lighting at night and BAM...you got a whole new area...
    No, what your describing is almost identical to what was before "New Tommorowland" except that the Astro Orbitor was high atop the peoplemover serving as a "weenie". Your proposal eliminates a great ride (peoplemover) and keeps Astro Orbitor in "downgrade" mode.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Interesting you should mention the high spinning restaurant. I've been mulling the same notion for the past couple of days. Imagine a Seattle-type space needle (which is approx. 50 stories tall) in TL with a rotating space station restaurant at the top. That's a weiner! As well as entering from inside TL, diners could have a "dinner-only" option and enter from outside the park. (These people, of course, would have to exit back to outside the park.) Then (ya wanna really make the Rocket Jets thrilling?) take a hint from Las Vegas' Stratosphere and put the Rocket Jets on top....say about 550 feet up there. Now you have:
    1. A new California landmark
    2. A major Disneyland landmark
    3. A high-class restaurant for Disneyland guests and locals alike.
    4. One thrilling ride.

...now, all we need is the money!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• враг народа

Blog Entries
    I don't much care for the idea of a 100'-150' tall spire. Something that big would be nearing the height of the Matterhorn.

• Minion

Oh well, one guy doesn't like it, I guess it was a nice idea while it lasted....

j/k

How about a spinning restaurant, but like an E-ticket, so that it becomes an adventure! Like, have the restaurant spinning really fast, like 50 mph or so! You could get a science lesson in centrifugal force by seeing your dinner slamming into the wall when the spinning stops, so that'd satisfy the old folks who want to bring back science from the 50s! Then you could have lasers shooting out of the top of the spire to a hip hop/rock soundtrack, which the teenagers would really like! And throw in the Incredibles to make it marketable to 3 year olds! KEWL!
    My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

• Rainicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob66
    How about a spinning restaurant, but like an E-ticket, so that it becomes an adventure! Like, have the restaurant spinning really fast, like 50 mph or so! You could get a science lesson in centrifugal force by seeing your dinner slamming into the wall when the spinning stops, so that'd satisfy the old folks who want to bring back science from the 50s! Then you could have lasers shooting out of the top of the spire to a hip hop/rock soundtrack, which the teenagers would really like! And throw in the Incredibles to make it marketable to 3 year olds! KEWL!
    Yeah! Then you throw up and it's like.. two lessons in one! Biology AND physics!
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob66
    How about a spinning restaurant, but like an E-ticket, so that it becomes an adventure! Like, have the restaurant spinning really fast, like 50 mph or so! You could get a science lesson in centrifugal force by seeing your dinner slamming into the wall when the spinning stops
    Now yer talkin'! This dovetails nicely with my other idea of having a giant spring behind one seat in each of the ToT "elevators. When it reaches the top and the door opens....SPROING! One rider gets a real thrill!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• That's Hawt

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chaney
    Now yer talkin'! This dovetails nicely with my other idea of having a giant spring behind one seat in each of the ToT "elevators. When it reaches the top and the door opens....SPROING! One rider gets a real thrill!
    ROFL!!!!!!! Talk about a view!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• LoisAlene

I like this idea! It would take advantage of the existing track and get some motion going on in the land again. The old Tomorrowland was all about movement. This new version is altogether static. I like the idea of rocket ships, it does conjure up visions of the future. Having some good special effects in the dark "briefing" areas could be both educational and entertaining.

Climbing the spire would present a whole slew of ride design nightmares. Rides that go straight up tend to swing and sway, they Need to for stress relief. It may not be possible to combine the two ideas of ride And restaurant. It would be great to have the jets circle the spire, I just don't know if it's feasible from the engineering standpoint.

As others have pointed out, Walt liked to build rides that appealed to all ages. I know there are those who don't care for thrill rides, but this could be made thrilling but not Too scary....kinda like Test Track, in jets. I love a good thrill ride, but I'd also like a ride that both my kids and my mom Would ride. I'm envisioning the thrill level of the Matterhorn. Fun, but not too terrifying.

I Really like the idea of a new restaurant at the top of the spire. The Space Needle restaurant is a big tourist draw. However, I doubt if you could get the permits to build a 605 foot tower in Anaheim. Even a much more modest height of 100 feet or so would provide a lovely over-view of the whole of Disneyland and DCA. I've bemoaned the lack of full service restaurants in the park before. Compared to WDW, Disneyland is woefully lacking. (Just as an aside, the whole restaurant at the top of the Needle doesn't rotate, just the outer 14'. It is powered by a 1.5 horse motor and makes one 360 rotation every hour. How do I know? My dad installed the gears that made the whole thing move.

All in all, this is one of the more creative idea's I've read for revitalizing TL.

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• Minion

I know, how about a special restaurant built into the upper levels of Space Mountain, with a special one-way mirror that allows diners to see the Space Mountain rockets passing through within the building. It could light up all pretty at night and there'd be a great view of the Matterhorn and fireworks.
    My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club