Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: Big Thunder closed???!!!

Boy, you can always tell when MickeyMania is coming to Disneyland for a couple afternoons, because once every four or five years everything breaks down at the same time.

• Minion

i walked by BTMRR today and some lady was asking the CM

"did someone die again?? like on the one ride at WDW?? cuz ill sue if i die on this"

i was like ... wow, idiot

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile
    Hope you found your answer in all our sillyness here!

Welcome to MiceChat, flowerroyal55.
    I know, that is what I was going to say...

• 1 Fanboy to Rule Them All

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Aniko~*~
    "did someone die again?? like on the one ride at WDW?? cuz ill sue if i die on this"
    Haha! Gold!

I'm hoping to go to DL with my friend this Wednesday, but I doubt BTMRR will be open. I guess I'll have to wait for some other time to show off the Goat Trick.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I was in the park yesterday 5/28/06 the is up and running about 2:00Pm.
    the board on the ticket booth said it was close.
    At first it look like only one side was loadind but some time the add more trains on the track.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day ºoº 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Aniko~*~
    i walked by BTMRR today and some lady was asking the CM
    "did someone die again?? like on the one ride at WDW?? cuz ill sue if i die on this" i was like ... wow, idiot

"I'll sue if I die on this." Brilliant. Do they have lawyers in the afterlife?

• Disneyland Cast Member

Yes they do, but they are all in hell.

• done

Big Thunder was listed as being closed on the boards outside, but when we walked by in the afternoon, it was up and running. We ended up going on at night, right at closing. Midnight ride on Big Thunder! Woo hoo!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Good to hear it's back up and running.

And jeez, some people just have no class. lol

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    I doubt that long. I am willing to bet that Disney has a replacement chain ready somewhere in California in case this kind of thing happens.
    Hope you don't put too much money into the pot on that bet, you could lose it. If I was running the place they would have a spare chain on site - but I'm not.

(Never underestimate the cheapness of some corporations. That Spare Part would come out of this year's budget even though it would not get used until next year. Better to push the expense forward to next year...)

They use BIG chain on those lift hills, and they might stock a few repair links but they don't order a new chain untill the next annual rehab is scheduled. I looked up big chain in a few industrial supply catalogs, and that 4" to 6" pitch chain has to be at least $100 a foot, and $250 a foot would not surprise me so you buy it when you need it.

From the talk here it sounds like the chain broke in one place, and they fixed it to get the ride reopened. And the next day it snapped again, most likely in a new place... That's the clue that the whole chain is worn out and needs replacement. Now.

It's got to be in stock somewhere in the US, and thanks to Air Freight they can get it in one or two days. (Three or four pallets.) Installation would be done overnight - lay it out on plywood, link the new chain to the old, and jog the lift motor to pull it through. Add 20 pounds of grease, and good to go.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• I love my family!

My family and I rode yesterday, both sides open full queue 20 min wait.
    There didn't seem to be any problems.

• World Famous Skipper

Disneyland.... seriously, I met my roommates once I think..

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman
    Hope you don't put too much money into the pot on that bet, you could lose it. If I was running the place they would have a spare chain on site - but I'm not.

(Never underestimate the cheapness of some corporations. That Spare Part would come out of this year's budget even though it would not get used until next year. Better to push the expense forward to next year...)

They use BIG chain on those lift hills, and they might stock a few repair links but they don't order a new chain untill the next annual rehab is scheduled. I looked up big chain in a few industrial supply catalogs, and that 4" to 6" pitch chain has to be at least $100 a foot, and $250 a foot would not surprise me so you buy it when you need it.

From the talk here it sounds like the chain broke in one place, and they fixed it to get the ride reopened. And the next day it snapped again, most likely in a new place... That's the clue that the whole chain is worn out and needs replacement. Now.

It's got to be in stock somewhere in the US, and thanks to Air Freight they can get it in one or two days. (Three or four pallets.) Installation would be done overnight - lay it out on plywood, link the new chain to the old, and jog the lift motor to pull it through. Add 20 pounds of grease, and good to go.

--<< Bruce >>--
    Wow. That's pretty amazing. We called Florida and they had an extra chain; we just sort of had run out, I guess. It's actually a really funny story but I'm pretty sure I could get into trouble for talking about stuff. But you got it exactly. Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by neverlandbeauty
    Wow. That's pretty amazing. We called Florida and they had an extra chain; we just sort of had run out, I guess. It's actually a really funny story but I'm pretty sure I could get into trouble for talking about stuff. But you got it exactly. Kudos.
    You can dish here, as long as you keep it positive, and you are careful that they can never figure out who you really are - they DO read this, both in the Hotdog Building and in Burbank.

And if the story behind this is really juicy and you want total deniability, mail it to The Boss, al (at) miceage (dot) com. He can use it in a column and make sure it is never traced back to you.

What can I say... After years of fixing stuff like that - usually without the luxury of a set of blueprints, instructions, or any original construction notes or parts lists - you get a sixth sense... Call me the "Carnival Guesser" of all things mechanical.

The only thing that gets me is the prices on some of that stuff - you look at it and say it's gotta be around $50 - $100, look it up and it's $250. Comes from all those dumb liability lawsuits where the guilty party tries to shift the blame to the equipment manufacturer, and they try to shift it to their major component suppliers, and then to the parts suppliers...

--<< Bruce >>--

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman
    The only thing that gets me is the prices on some of that stuff - you look at it and say it's gotta be around $50 - $100, look it up and it's $250. Comes from all those dumb liability lawsuits where the guilty party tries to shift the blame to the equipment manufacturer, and they try to shift it to their major component suppliers, and then to the parts suppliers...
    I have to disagree with that. Liability lawsuits that are successful are rarely "dumb", and in some cases, they may even prevent a company from policies that encourage situations where future injuries are both more foreseeable and more likely to happen, endangering the company, and others.

If a party isn't liable, it's a fairly simple process to have a judge decide a motion for summary judgment, removing them from the case way before the case gets to trial, or, if they want to be really lazy, just waiting for trial, and then forcing the plaintiff to prove a case against them.

It's the research, design, and testing of the product that usually causes expense, and that's a good thing, as well as the fact that supply and demand makes certain companies almost a monopoly on goods, driving up prices. I doubt that liability lawsuits are the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    I have to disagree with that. Liability lawsuits that are successful are rarely "dumb", and in some cases, they may even prevent a company from policies that encourage situations where future injuries are both more foreseeable and more likely to happen, endangering the company, and others.

If a party isn't liable, it's a fairly simple process to have a judge decide a motion for summary judgment, removing them from the case way before the case gets to trial, or, if they want to be really lazy, just waiting for trial, and then forcing the plaintiff to prove a case against them.

It's the research, design, and testing of the product that usually causes expense, and that's a good thing, as well as the fact that supply and demand makes certain companies almost a monopoly on goods, driving up prices. I doubt that liability lawsuits are the reason.
    I work as an Electrician. You work as a Lawyer. We are going to have to "agree to disagree", or we could go around in big circles on this one for months. Liability suits are why there's only one company making a product - their competition was put out of business in a suit.

We have done many large jobs where we were a Sub-contractor, and there have been several instances where we were sued as partially liable for a later damage claim, all of which have been unfounded. In one case they managed to punch a nail through a steel nail-plate protecting the conduit - after bending multiple nails bounced off the nail-plate at least a half dozen times, leaving clear dents and scars. And we had the Arson Investigator's report showing this.

Now here's the payoff - we were ready to argue our case for summary judgement, the perforated nail-plate was clear proof. But our insurance company would not back us up in fighting the claim, they decided rather than to defend us it was cheaper FOR THEM to accept partial liabilty, pay out the claim, and then ding us for the claim in the premiums.

"A million dollars for defense and not one red cent in tribute" is a wonderful sentiment - until you run out of money for your defense. Then you can't pay the price necessary to buy justice.

Judges make silly, stupid, and totally unfounded decisions all the time. Even the US Supreme Court (messes) up bigtime. 'Kelo Vs. New London' Eminent Domain for Private Financial Gain decision - I rest my case. After that stinker, nobody's property is safe from confiscation, even yours.

Now where were we...? Oh yeah, Big Thunder Closed...

--<< Bruce >>--

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast