Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Photo request, help please??

So it is that time of year where my daughter starts thinking about what Disney Princess she wants to be for Halloween. Why so early you might ask. Well her requests are not always the standard princess and require a lot of time to track down the right fabric and sew the costume. Not be me of course, luckily we have family members that are blessed with this talent.

This year I need pictures of the Ariel on land dress. The green poofity dress. The Ariel that is in Ariel's Grotto. We did go there this year but as it turns out took only one pictur of that dress. I need as many dress shots as possible. And also anyone that has or can get pictures of the necklace she wears.
    Thank you in advance.
    "You can't judge a book by its cover."
    "No, but you can tell how much it is going to cost."

• That Guy

Re: Photo request, help please??

• Rally Time!

a friend of Walt.

Oh my, I did not realize that there was 2 diffrent kinds of fabric. I do not know where we will find fabric.
    Thanks for the help. Anyone have a full body shot of her?

• Rally Time!

here's another one
    a friend of Walt.

• Lost Princess and Bat 861

Print the pictures and take them to a fabric store rather than a Walmart. Joanne's or Hancock's are national chains, I personally prefer Joanne's price wise. In the south, try Hobby Lobby; on the west coast, try Beverly's. Ask for a coworker who sews (preferably for kids), show them the picture and ask for help. You might actually get lucky with the fabric now because of proms and weddings. I doubt you will be able to find the exact wave design of the underskirt but you should get pretty close with colours. The sleeves and bodice remind me of Snow White, I think there might be a Simplicity or McCall's pattern close enough that you could adapt. I'm going to Bev's this afternoon; I'll see if I can find the number for you.
    A bit of evil lurks in your heart, but you hide it well.
    In some ways, you are the most dangerous kind of evil.

• insufferable know-it-all

My advice: get an Aurora (Sleeping Beauty, if you will) pattern and adjust it by changing the sleeves. Basically, Aurora's dress is very similar to Ariel's wedding dress. Do it in white with some mint green/teal ribbon on the edges.

But if your little girl's dead set on the seafoam costume in the pictures above... you can still probably pull it off using the Aurora pattern and just adding poofy sleeves. Yeah, basically it's a Snow White sleeve.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Thank you all for the help. I do not know if I am even going to ask her Aunt to sew this dress. When I look at all of the pictures it looks as complicated as a wedding dress. I do not know if that much work needs to be done for a 5 year olds costume. I don't know maybe I will see how hard fabric is to find.

Here's some advice: Do it in 2 pieces (most of Disney's princesses are wearing 2-piece outfits that hook/snap together at the waist anyway).

For the bottom, do the top layer (the divided skirt) as a simple circle skirt (like you would for a poodle skirt, very basic, minimum of sewing).

The under skirt you can do even simpler: measure around your daughter's waist, triple that length, and cut a rectangle of the darker green fabric that is the first measurement long, by circle skirt length wide. Gather and sew to the same waistband as the circle skirt.

OR (and this will cut down on costs a bit):

Cut a wedge of fabric just a few inches wide at the top, and much wider at the bottom (depending on how wide you'd like the divide to be at the bottom, plus some extra for seams and a little gathering). Cut the circle skirt as instructed BUT, make the back ( or side, wherever the hook & eye closure would be) the front, and instead of sewing it up, hem the edges of the divided skirt and sew in the wedge of fabric. Don't do it like a normal seam though, because you want the divided skirt to appear to be on top. So just sew the sides in "behind" it. Be sure to leave 2-4" at the top of one side unsewn to give you somewhere to do it up at (where the hook and eye will be). My advice is sew the insert panel on the side that will end up "under" when the waistband is closed, that way it goes behind the divided skirt properly at the top. That's why you need to hem each piece separately first (yeah, hem the bottom of the wedge, btw). Then attach the combined skirt to the waistband by sewing the divided skirt normally, and gathering the few inches at the top of the center panel. Oh, one other thing: normally, on a circle skirt, the waistband might be intended to go beyond the skirt itself on the top side of the closure. Instead, because you'll have the panel underneath, sew the divided skirt right at the edge of the closure on the top part, so that it comes together nicely with the other side when you close the skirt (and all the gathers for the center panel would be hidden in behind!).

And when you're done with the skirt(s):
    Get a Snow White pattern, and make the top, adding the extra length to the bottom of the pieces to match the pattern of Ariel's dress.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Poohnpiglet: honestly, looking at the pictures, the dress isn't that complicated. The only complicated bit is the sleeves and even those can be faked (you can substitute slashed sleeves for long bands of ribbon sewn over a regular sleeve at the shoulders and cuffs)

I would suggest a Simplicity 5832.

Sorry, I didn't think it would be so small. Better pictures and a pattern review can be found at http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-...patternid=2393

It has a separate skirt and top. I would use the plain puffy sleeve and just sew strips of matching ribbon over them instead of piecing the striped sleeves.
    </IMG>

Thank you all for the help. We are going to try and make the dress. And by we I mean her Aunt. It will not be a perfect match but I think it will be close enough. And I think outside of the park no one will know who she is anyway.
    We watched the movie again the other night and her dress is pink. I am not sure where Disney came up with this green version. Oh well we will give it a shot.
    Thank for the help

My guess is the colour is supposed to be reminiscent of both her green mermaid outfit and of water, especially with the wavy patterning on the underskirt. It also helps differentiate her from the other princesses. If they put her in pink, she'd look like Sleeping Beauty with a dye job. Besides, it doesn't matter if any one recognizes her as long as you daughter is happy.

Okay, so I'm the auntie making the dress. Thanks everyone, for your input.

According to the former manager at Ariel's Grotto, this dress is exclusive to the restaurant but is patterned after a dress from a scene in TLM 2 dvd.
    I've decided this ~ Ariel's wedding dress pattern with Snow White pattern sleeves~ Both patterns are Simplicity, and the sleeves won't be difficult because they are actually appliqued, not inset.
    {poohnpiglet worries too much ;-) }

As for fabric, a pale green silk brocade with a shimmery lame' center panel.
    And of course, we can't forget the poofity slip underneath!

Wish me luck! I'm hoping the little princess can wear it to Ariel's Grotto in September!

• All you need is LOVE

found these off the web

Last edited by Crazy Legs; 06-01-2006 at 10:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast