Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Is Grad Night Just a Huge Waste of Time.

It seems to me that all we hear about Grad nights are violence, drunken behavior and vandelism.

Why do they do this? I don't mean the Grads... why does Disney do this? Surely it can't be a huge money maker for them and bad for tourists and ....well.... it just cannon-fodder for the geeks! (for "us" geeks.just trying that monkier on.)

Does anyone have stories of Vandalism, tourist problems or better yet... does anyone have positive stories.

"Ho ho ho ho, a santa's life for me"

• 'splosions

Re: Is Grad Night Just a Huge Waste of Time.

honestly, mine was.

i had just started working there in november and i knew what the park was gonna be like.

i did my best to dissuede my fellow classmates, but to no avail

• Vehicle rotating backward

Grad nights are a SoCal tradition, introduce a bunch of kids average 18 years old to the park and make it look like a fun place to be (and maybe work,) and are a nice paycheck booster to the people who work it.

Although some things do happen, school staff does try to mind an eye on everyone and in my day it wasn't unheard of to hear that numerous kids had to go sit on the bus until morning for bad behavior.

Smile Re: Is Grad Night Just a Huge Waste of Time.

I should have mentioned........ I am a high school teacher!

Back in the dark ages 1979 to be exact. I went with my best friend we had the best time, we picked up boys , danced and rode rides. Even to this day as we are now old ladies of almost 45. We still tell our kids fond memories of that nite. To us it was the highlight of our senior year.

I am coming with my family this wdnesday..... there won;t be anything on Friday night will there?>??????

Quote Originally Posted by WFoxx
    Back in the dark ages 1979 to be exact. I went with my best friend we had the best time, we picked up boys , danced and rode rides. Even to this day as we are now old ladies of almost 45. We still tell our kids fond memories of that nite. To us it was the highlight of our senior year.
    OH! --- That sounds great ---- I just heard that m,y favorite ride (BTM) is broken due to grads tring to stand up ---- so I guess I am a bit angry!

• no flash photography...

I think having the high school bands there is a bad idea as well. Or maybe just from soem areas should not be allowed. There were members form a pomona band there and they were acting horrbly. They made the haunted mansion a terrible experience. the shoved their way up through the lines, hopped over the line bars, pushed people, were BEYOND loud and while walking down the hallway to board the doombuggies they undid a chain, left it hanging, toucjed all the fake candles screaming HOT and then cut their way to the front of the line. They were also very loud on the ridign and were throwing things at the screens. I noticed alot of stuff on the screens....it was very sad and dissapointing behavior. My mother reported it to city hall.

We didn't go on anymore rides in DL on that day. We keft and went to DCA. I didn't want to run into any more of those types of teens....

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    I noticed alot of stuff on the screens....it was very sad and dissapointing behavior. My mother reported it to city hall.

We didn't go on anymore rides in DL on that day. We keft and went to DCA. I didn't want to run into any more of those types of teens....
    What does City Hall do at this point? I save for three years to take my family and I want a stress free event... what can they do?

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny
    What does City Hall do at this point? I save for three years to take my family and I want a stress free event... what can they do?
    I don't know what they can do. My mother seems to think DL invites the schools as a group and they give them discounted tickets to get in. She felt that if there were enough complaints they may not invite the offending school back. I have no idea if it works that way or not, but she felt very strongly that someone needed ot know what was going on.

We didn't want to be compenasted for anything.....she justw anted to make sure someone knew how these kids from that one school were behaving.

Hey Beatle, the grad night festivites always begin after reg park hours so you and your family will be gone when the grads arrive for the night. And my grad night a few years back was actually not that bad, i mean yea u get the usual bad apples or kids just goofing off but for the most part everyone was pretty well behaved that night , nothing to off the wall or crazy really happened. I enjoyed it for the most part, there were places to dance throughout the park and a few pop and hip hop radio stations were there. They also offered all the grads 1 free picture with a disney character which was cool, the only bad part was that it was very crowded. Lots of kids....but all and all i had a good time.

OH!!!! I didn;t know it was an after hours event! That changes everything!!! Thank you!

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

I showed up at DCA at 9:30 maybe 10:00 pm. Got my free dinner at that pizza place, we got in throught the back, under the Coaster (that was cool!) Hung out there till midnight.

We entered throught the CM's entrance (there was a mirror where you can check yourself and it said to smile) about when we got in people were leaving, I remember seeing people walk out and point at us.

It was fun, I met a guy there (got his girl jealous and she threw medicine into PP) and we joked that anyone who got in trouble were grabbe dby the men in white (Secruity) and was forced to wear the Mickey outfit.

• Still lost in Neverland

City Hall can indeed do something about it. If the report was specific as to the day and time, and the school involved, that school will be notified as to what their kids did, and given warning that if some sort of action is not taken by the school to this group, then that band will not be invited back to perform at Disneyland.

I was in the Los Angeles Police Junior Band for 5 years and we were invited to Disneyland for a special Parade on a day honoring Police and Fireman. We were taken backstage on our Police bus, and given a place to change into our uniforms, which were replicas of the LA Police uniforms. We then did our march and concert, then marched backstage to change into civies. We were then given lunch by Disneyland and then special passes for the day (this was long before anything even like DCA was even though of) and we had the entire rest of the day to play in the Park. Being a military band made up of 100 Jr. High to High School aged boys, and one girl (The Majorette) she was with her chaperones, while the boys were told in no uncertain terms by our leader, Sgt. Kelly of the LA Police Dept., to maintain our military attitude and that we were expected to be gentlemen at all times, or else. No one wanted to find out what "or else" could mean, so we comported ourselves like we always did and had a great time without resorting to anything that would make the other guests in the Park feel disturbed or annoyed. That is something that is not seen to much today.

We were also invited to play in a Christmas Parade in San Francisco. We were allowed to stay overnight at a Naval Base which at the time, was located on Treasure Island in the bay. We were told at the beginning of this weekend stay, that it had been some time since the base had allowed any Junior Band to stay on site as the previous experiences had not gone well. We did our parade and went back to the base for the night. The next morning, officer Kelly had us up and dressed in our band uniforms at daybreak. We then proceed to march, military formation, to the Base Commanders office, where we played Revelie live in front of his office, then played the Dragnet Theme, which was our trademark. We had been on the base the previous night with full privilages of the Officer's Club and due to our behaviour the previous night, and this show of military correctness that morning, we were the first Jr. Band to ever be invited back by the Base Commander.

It all depends on the Band Leaders and ours was the best there was. Officer Kelly passed away several years ago at age 86. Many former band members attended his funeral in full DAP uniforms. We did him proud.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    I think having the high school bands there is a bad idea as well. Or maybe just from soem areas should not be allowed. There were members form a pomona band there and they were acting horrbly. They made the haunted mansion a terrible experience. the shoved their way up through the lines, hopped over the line bars, pushed people, were BEYOND loud and while walking down the hallway to board the doombuggies they undid a chain, left it hanging, toucjed all the fake candles screaming HOT and then cut their way to the front of the line. They were also very loud on the ridign and were throwing things at the screens. I noticed alot of stuff on the screens....it was very sad and dissapointing behavior. My mother reported it to city hall.

Was that recently? I was hoping the "grads" only showed up when the parks closed to the public.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast