• Gumball Rally Godfather

Do you hold Disneyland to a higher standard then you set for yourself?

I've read comments (and complaints) from some here on Micechat about the way Disneyland should be held to a higher standard because Walt Disney set high standards when he was alive.

I'm not opposed to having higher expectations of Disneyland than other theme parks. Heck, I'm a huge Disneyland fan, and I do notice when things begin slipping at the Park

But, it did get me to thinking about whether it's fair to have such expectations from Disneyland and those who run it, when most of us never even make an attempt at trying to our best, regardless of what the endeavor entails.

Think about it for a while... are you always trying harder to do the right thing by people... or do your best while you're at work or school... or being kinder to the people in your lives?

Is it realistic to have a set of double standards?
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Re: Do you hold Disneyland to a higher standard then you set for yourself?

I don't think it's a double standard at all. What people could judge about me has absolutely nothing to do with the standards that Disney (Walt) set with the building of his company and the creation of the theme park industry. When we complain, we're not saying that Pirates should be as fresh and clean as my house, but that it should be kept up to the standard that was in existence when the ride opened.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    I've read comments (and complaints) from some here on Micechat about the way Disneyland should be held to a higher standard because Walt Disney set high standards when he was alive.

I'm not opposed to having higher expectations of Disneyland than other theme parks. Heck, I'm a huge Disneyland fan, and I do notice when things begin slipping at the Park

But, it did get me to thinking about whether it's fair to have such expectations from Disneyland and those who run it, when most of us never even make an attempt at trying to our best, regardless of what the endeavor entails.

Think about it for a while... are you always trying harder to do the right thing by people... or do your best while you're at work or school... or being kinder to the people in your lives?

Is it realistic to have a set of double standards?
    I think I get the drift of what you are saying, and I understand the thought behind it.

Having said that, Disneyland CM's are not drafted, they do come in voluntarily and they take the job allegedly knowing what they'll be paid (low wages that they are) and what's expected of them.

And if I had to pay at least 60 dollars a day to be around my family or co-workers, for the express purposes of enjoying some sort of "magical" experience...I might have some higher expectations for them also, and deservedly so.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Closed Account

Disneyland is Walt's legacy. There isn't a standard too high for it.

• The Fantasyland guy

im suprised more locations around the world dont try as hard as disney. Its not that hard to create an army of droids that can do the simple things like ask for autographs.

I mean.. I was asked to "sign this" the other day at the movie theater... HELL NO! I wont sign it! but... I will give my autograph.

I won't say my standards are higher than I set for myself, though I do have high expectations for both society and myself.

I am often disappointed but the alternative is accepting that "half" is good enough. It's not.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

My gripe is with people who complain about Disneyland, even when Disney they does something nice like sending out "thank-you" cards to AP's that sign up for another year. These ingrates say things like, "they should have been doing it all along" as though they are Miss Manners themselves... always doing things perfectly.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Minion

The reason Disneyland employees (not studio personnel) were called "cast-members" was because they were "on stage" part of a "show" being put on for "paying guests." The Disneyland show created an artificial utopia of reassuring beauty, youth, cleanliness, inspiration and friendliness and parity. It was not the real world and should never be compared to anything happening in a real human life. It was and is a creation - - showbiz - - the real world left outside the berm, including personal issues and hassles of everyday living.

That said, society at large was once far more polite and gracious and less-demanding on the part of guests, which is probably far more stressful for today's CM.

• no flash photography...

Disney is fine. I do have issues with their Guests. the people who visit the park are pigs, they throw there garbage everywhere and do not have repsect for anything....after the fireworks janitors swarm the hub area, because all those people who camped out for hours left all their garbage all over the place. The janitors got it cleaned up fast, but how inconsiderate of the "guests".

• I'm your huckleberry.

I hold Disney to the same standard to which I hold myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    I hold Disney to the same standard to which I hold myself.

• Pull your "Magic" finger?

The standard at Disneyland should be industry setting, because it is the icon everyone compares to. If the staff and suits can not realize that, they need to be removed.

HOWEVER to maintain that standard requires the staff (not just the suits) to be paid appropriately near or at the top of the scale.

You get what you pay for.

Disneyland is not some private park for the AP's in the OC or Florida. It is a pilgrimage of fantasy for millions of people, who put out a significant sum to do it. IF Disney is to continue and prosper, they must be aware of this. Someone in the park MUST, everyday, do whatever it takes to make a difference in the life of a guest. Turn a bad day or a potentially bad event into a good one. Turn a good day into a GREAT one.

Failure to do that will result in the slow degradation of the park into another "carny" and I don't know if there will be another person of Walt's vision and financial strength who will have the guts to build a dream world again.

I tell one area where Disney is held to a much lower standard and that is of course in the foods department.

Can you imagine if a place like Taste Pilots Grille, with its outragous prices, low food quality and painfully slow and inefficient service, existed on the outside. It would be out of business in a month.

• The pride is back.

I don't believe it's a double standard. I don't make a concerted, fully-funded effort to create an image for myself as well-groomed, friendly and cheerful. Disneyland does. It's part of their brand identity. It's the reason why you can slap a Disney label on many things and it's a shorthand (right or wrong) for many people to a certain way of doing business.

Unfortunately for Disney, because they've done such a great job over the years, when this identity fails, it's noticeable. I wouldn't look twice at a sour face or unpleasant employee at USH or any other place. But I can tell you the details of every time it's happened to me at a Disney park.

I agree that other companies should follow Disney's lead - not in everything, but certainly it what it does best.

• no flash photography...

I guess I hold disney to the standards it used to have when i was growing up....or even just a few years ago. Their mercahdise used to be nice. Their clothes good qulaity. the stuff there now is poorer quality than i would find at target. Yes, it has the disney brand on it, btu the T-shirts are paper thin and $22.00 a shirt. They really need to bring the quality back....as far as keeping the park clean. they are fighting a loosing battle, because the guests just don't care as much anymore....