Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rocket rods

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    It's kinda sad that this ride didn't work out. The ride system is very kewl and if they had themed the ride and built it correctly, it could have been phenomenal--easily one of the top rides at Disneyland. Too bad Matt Ouimet wasn't President of the DLR at the time...imagine how awesome it could have been...
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Disneyland and TDR fan!

If only they put more money into it and banked those turns we would still have that ride today. I really like it especially the airtime you get from it! Too bad.

• Minion

Im glad we are getting some RR supporters. A few miths.

Rocket Rods was NOT the downfall of People Mover. The PM track was vacant for a long time before the RR came in. Also, the RR was NOT taken down from lack of riders. I never saw the line below 2 hours. The line would extend all the way into the Little Mermaid lagoon, into and around the CircleVision, UNDER the park and up into the PM Q area. It was an insane line always.

It was a lot of fun. Fast, the cars made a COOL screaming sound as they blasted through and around the park. The little beeping and chirping also sounded cool and they added a LOT of life and excitement to TL. TL seems so quiet, stale and simply... SLOW without them.

I remember going to DL when the ride was still testing. They had tarps over the launch area. When they launched the Rocket Rod, you could not SEE it, but it created this bubble, or stockwave as it went down the tarp. VERY cool looking. And the SOUND! You looked up in amazement and thought "Wow! That things gonna be so cool!".

If it was not for the technical issues, the ride would still be going. FACT. This is from the mouth of an WDI I am friends with. So put to rest the idea that its dead because nobody liked it.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by gibbage
    Im glad we are getting some RR supporters. A few mitI remember going to DL when the ride was still testing. They had tarps over the launch area. When they launched the Rocket Rod, you could not SEE it, but it created this bubble, or stockwave as it went down the tarp. VERY cool looking. And the SOUND! You looked up in amazement and thought "Wow! That things gonna be so cool!".
    They should have kept the tarp.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    It's kinda sad that this ride didn't work out. The ride system is very kewl and if they had themed the ride and built it correctly, it could have been phenomenal--easily one of the top rides at Disneyland. Too bad Matt Ouimet wasn't President of the DLR at the time...imagine how awesome it could have been...
    I would love it if they put it back in and

#1, renovated the tracks. Banked turn, hills and so on.

#2, better show elements when inside TL's buildings.

#3, Better Q

#4, A LOT more capacity. That line was the slowest moving line EVER. Even during its up times.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Gibbage:

Peoplemover track was empty like 3 years before Rods, but that was because Rods was being built, and the delays were constant.

Hills on the track would be an eyesore.

• My Children's Father

I liked it. My kids (the ones old enough to remember it) lament not being able to ride it. Obviously it could have been done better, with a lower (or non-existant) height requirement and better designed technology that wasn't self-destructive, but hey, it was a thrill and added a dynamic element to T-land.
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Feel the breeze!

It was a fun ride. I was fortunate to be able to ride it once. I do miss it.

• Banned User

This forum is like so cool. Everyone APPRECIATES Rocket Rods!! Yay!! For years it was bashed and now (likely because it is gone and we're being reminded by this thread, not saying it's a bad thread...) we all like it.

I personally always liked it...I thought the Rods LOOKED, SOUNDED, and WERE cool.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

There was so much "buzz" about RR before it opened we could hardly wait. The lines were always insanely long. I really liked the old documentaries and cartoons they showed in the queue. It was sad, though, to see the old PM cars on display...ignominiously painted blue with orange tape outlines. (Supposed to resemble a blueprint.) I always thought the RR cars were, frankly, ugly. Matter of taste, I suppose. The take-off was thrilling, the acceleration was exciting. The first turn came way too quickly, though, and the dang thing braked to make it. Then more acceleration until the next turn and brake. As built, I found it just too herky-jerky. The tunnel displays apparently impressed me so much I've totally forgotten what they were. I do remember a red strobe light (?) Boy, was that....uh....forget it. Built on a dedicated track (and not a recycled one) and properly banked, it would have been a great ride. Perhaps they could try again. Put the Rocket Jets back up where they belong. Rebuild the PP track specifically for new RR... or give them their own unique route and put the PM back on its track. Make the RR cars look like....well....ROCKETS. That would fit the theming of TL and provide a nice E-ticket.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Banned User

Tom Chaney--

The red strobe light was when you went thru Space Mountain. It was cool.

Another effect was a "near miss" thing where you felt like you were gonna crash into an oncoming Rod. If I remember that came before the strobes.

I used to think we should build a Rod track and put Peoplemover on its designed track but then I realized it's contradictory to say Rods will be our future transport and so will Peoplemover. I'd prefer to have Rods, minus the braking.

• Minion

Well WDI was working off a SLASHED budget when they built RR. They only got 10% of the funding needed. 10%!!!! Just think of what they could of been if they got 100%. Maybe good display elements inside the 4 indoor area's (Star Tours, SM, Innovations, and Ciclevision) and that would of covered a new track. Also, more reliable electronics.

I blame RR failure 100% on management. I also hope that the RR failure lead to the change of management, so its death would not be a total loss.

People with fond memory's of the PeopleMover always say the same thing when talking about it. "No lines". Thats a BAD thing, and thats what lead to its death.

I remember one time I was riding in the front cab of the monorail with the captin/pilot/whatever. When we pulled up to Disneyland Hotel (back before Downtown Disney) I did not get up. He said "You know this is our only stop?" and I said "Ya, im just riding to let my feet rest.". He got a laugh and said "That used to be the People Movers job!".

People Mover. No lines, and was only rememberd as a place to rest your feet even to those who loved it... nostalgia is a funny things humans have...

• Banned User

I always considered Peoplemover and Monorail to be far too similar. They're both futuristic transport system. The only difference is that Monorail actually takes you somewhere (and you can stay on round trip).

Rocket Rods, overall, was WAY better. "No lines" is I agree a bad thing...that means the ride must suck. Or people took it for granted.

• My Children's Father

Wasn't RR the first ride to utilize a "single rider line"? It made sense to me at the time since it was a 5-seater, and most groups are in even-numbers (pairs, families of 4, etc.). The SRL was pleasantly short, and you had a 60% chance of not having to sit next to a stranger ......
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by gibbage
    Well WDI was working off a SLASHED budget when they built RR. They only got 10% of the funding needed. 10%!!!! Just think of what they could of been if they got 100%. Maybe good display elements inside the 4 indoor area's (Star Tours, SM, Innovations, and Ciclevision) and that would of covered a new track. Also, more reliable electronics.
    I heard about the slashed budget also. I would have like to have seen the full version of this ride. As it stood the ride was only FUN, not great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast