Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rocket rods

Rocket rods

I never go a chance to either see or ride rocket rods. Does anyone have a video? Did it go fast? Was there any cool stuff to look at inside the tunnles?

Thanks

• Use your imagination...

Visionsfantastic.com has one

Steven

• CM for 4 years!

If it was cool, it would still be there, seeing as how it opened in 1998, which was only 6 years ago. The fact that it's already closed and there's already another attraction in its place should let you know how "good" it was.

• Rainicorn.

I hardly remember it. The first and last time I went on it was in January of 2000. Funnily enough, all I remember is the queue and how it was "proposed" that they have these things between LA and Long Beach. Anyway, they went fast... until you got to a turn, then you sort of suffered from major whip lash.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• Hey, that's not Rose!

I have no fotos of the ride, but I want to say before everyone else comes on and bashes it, I thought it was fun. Riding in the front at night was neat, with the cold wind on your face. It made a cool noise too. I think it went like 20mph?? at the fastest part, but not for sure. Someone else will know that i bet. I never happened to ride it when it broke down, so for me it was never a bad experience, except having to wait 3 hours to ride it.
    It's Robin Hood I want!

Disneyworld 1987

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    If it was cool, it would still be there, seeing as how it opened in 1998, which was only 6 years ago. The fact that it's already closed and there's already another attraction in its place should let you know how "good" it was.
    there's already another attraction it its QUEUE's place, not in its place...the track is still unused. I'm sure it went faster than 20 mph...
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Disneyland Historian

[QUOTE=disneyfreeek]I think it went like 20mph?? at the fastest part, but not for sure. Someone else will know that i bet. [QUOTE]

I believe it went 45 mph at the fastest part making it the fastest attraction within Disneyland. After closing, that honor reverted back to Splash Mountain at about 40 mph. Of course, both records are now bested in the entire resort by Screamin' at 55 mph.

• Banned User

Rocket Rods had the best sounds and ride ever. If only they themed it a bit and fixed the mechanical problems with it the ride would of been great.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyfreak
    Rocket Rods had the best sounds and ride ever. If only they themed it a bit and fixed the mechanical problems with it the ride would of been great.
    Well, that's the problem, innit? Rocket Rods, so far as I can discern, never had a theme at all beyond...er...going fast--at which it did a lousy job.

In all fairness, the Peoplemover had no real theme either--but it did what it was designed to do. The Rocket Rods attraction tried unsucessfully to do something else within the parameters of the Peoplemover's infrastructure, and couldn't overcome the limitations.

The best attractions begin as good ideas, for the execution of which technologies are found and invented. Existing ride systems upon which theming is imposed tend not to turn out half so well. RR was a curious case: an invented technology with no idea at all behind it.

Yeah, yeah. I remember the "Tomorrowland Transit Authority" business. Pure afterthought, if you ask me. Transportation system of the future? Please. My first time through the queue I saw the geographically incomprehensible "route map" on the wall and knew I was at the mercy of incompetents.

What I'm saying is: "themed it a bit" wouldn't have done a thing for that sad spectacle. Even if WDI had gotten to spend their original budget on the attraction, they'd only have been adding bells and whistles to a non-theme.

"Something fast. In Tomorrowland. Now. The kids'll eat it up."
    "Yes sir, Mr. Pressler, sir. Right away, sir."
    "Oh--and make sure it's got a significant height limit. I don't want whole families riding it together, for Pete's sake. If everyone's on the ride, no one's shopping. I won't stand for that."
    "Of course not, sir. Would you like the new attraction to exit through retail, just in case?"
    "Does a Country Bear crap in the woods?"
    "Only till we can Imagineer a more magical attraction for Critter Country, sir."
    "By 'more magical' I trust you mean 'involving fewer, if any Audio-Animatronic figures.'"
    "Precisely, sir.
    "Excellent."
    Eric Dean

[Countdown=&day=12&month=5&year=2005&hour=12&min=20 &sec=55]Getting off this dead volcano and back to California in:[/countdown]

"Welcome aboard, friends. This is Captain Collins. Now, first let me assure you that TWA has taken every precaution for your safety during this flight. We're proud of our safety record, and aside from a few brief moments of weightlessness, you'll suffer no discomfort in outer space."
    --from Rocket to the Moon

I know, I know... everyone will bash Rocket Rods. But there was something cool about queing up to the "drag race xmas tree light thing" and watching it count down from red to yellow to green and-- Boom! You took off. And as another already mentioned in this thread, it was really pretty great at night. Don't get me wrong, I am a big proponent of PeopleMover and I'd love to see it brought back in a new 2005 design, but RR was certainly better than the nothing that we have now!
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I only rode the thing once (I still don't know why I waited in line for 70 minutes for that thing). The only thing I liked about it was the launch, when the vehicle would rise up. (Then again, sitting in the open-air like that so high up was pretty cool, too).

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    I have to stand with those that liked it- our family always used the single rider (I believe it was the first attraction to offer it?) and we enjoyed it quite a bit- I agree that had the fixed the mechanical problems, it would have been a great ride.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• A Mighty Eye

It would have been OK with a banked track on the first turn and out by the Autopia. Slowing down inside buildings is fine for me inside buildings. But I also agree that if you're not going fast, you should have something to look at, to improve the feeling of fast motion. Electric signs, projected speed tunnels, etc. These would have really helped the ride, to my way of thinking.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

I've heard that a lot of people really enjoyed this ride. The only reason why it's not there anymore is cause there was a lot of problems, not cause it wasnt popular.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Peoplemover had fairly low attendance most of the time, Rods was constantly packed. Despite its issues Rods was an all around more atmospheric experience. It added kinetics to TL that the Peoplemover had not added.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast