Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Re: And now... America Sings!!! Images from 1976

The tuna (Chicken of the Sea?) pirate ship! I sure do miss that. That is where we ate lunch most of the time when we went to Disneyland and it was a good place to watch the fireworks. Of course the fireworks back then were nothing like what they have today.

Another place that is long gone was the chicken dinner plantation that used to sit near the Rivers of America near where Haunted Mansion is. They took it out for HM. It was my Mom's favorite place to eat. Any slides of that?

I love these photos. Looking forward to more!

Those are some cool pictures. I've seen pictures of postcards of the attraction but never like this.

I've never seen pictures of the queue of America Sings either...maybe because it wasn't greatly themed besides red stripes with solid white instruments? and blue and white stars on the second floor... Was there a big sign, orI could sworn I heard they just took out the little plastic sign of COP and put in another that said America Sings...

WOW!! Those pics sure brought back a flood of wonderful, childhood memories for me!! If there's one thing I truly miss, it's American Sings! I know it's very out-dated in today's world, but it really did have a lot of charm back then!

I'm just happy I can still see them when I go on SM!

If you are not a member of Disney-Central join now and download an amazing 200meg full video of the attraction

• ROFLCOPTER!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    I always like it when people watch Remember and ask "what attraction has pop goes the weasel?"

I have had like 20 friends ask me that question, even people who have seen the show. How could you forget the Weasel?
    Yeah! How the heck can you forget that? That's one of the few parts I remember. I have so much trouble believing it closed in 1988 since I remember going to it. I would have been five at the most!

• Professional Chocoholic

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
    Btw.. there will be more pictures from the 1960's and early 70's coming up from me in the very near future.
    Have you submitted your pics to Yesterland?

• Vehicle rotating backward

I loved that little thing, there should be a video somewhere so the younger visitors can know what it was about.

You'll notice that none of it "fits Tomorrowland" any more than Nemo does, but it was great and there was less Armchair Imagineering from the local chapter of the Mickey Mouse Club back in the day.

EDIT: I don't think Sam's owl friend has an official name, despite Oogie's post at the end of Page 1. The Imagineering coffee table book actually mentions how Sam and his "unnamed owl friend" were so typecast that they couldn't find any new work.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 06-01-2006 at 05:13 PM.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler
    Yup I got the whole attraction on "Musical History of Disneyland". However I never saw any pictures of what America Sings looked like till now. It really is nice to see what the attraction looked like. Now I can understand and visualize it a bit more.
    One thing that you can't really visualize in pictures or with the music (if you've never seen it) is the transitions. Each scene was transitioned by Sam the Eagle singing "Yankee Doodle"...however, the entire theater went dark and a 'mirror ball' effect took over. It sounds corny and cheesy on paper, but it was actually really neat in person considering that you were actually physically moving with the lighting. Oh man do I miss this show. No trip to Disneyland was ever complete in the 1980's without a trip to America Sings. I remember first hearing that they were taking it out and how they were putting the figures into some new attraction. I hated Disney for it back in 1988 and I sure don't like it even in 2006. Especially not when I see a revolving Best Buy in its place.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 06-01-2006 at 05:17 PM.

I ordered the full show from the extinct attractions club. I love to watch it and show it too my kids.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    I loved that little thing, there should be a video somewhere so the younger visitors can know what it was about.

You'll notice that none of it "fits Tomorrowland" any more than Nemo does, but it was great and there was less Armchair Imagineering from the local chapter of the Mickey Mouse Club back in the day.

EDIT: I don't think Sam's owl friend has an official name, despite Oogie's post at the end of Page 1. The Imagineering coffee table book actually mentions how Sam and his "unnamed owl friend" were so typecast that they couldn't find any new work.
    The owl was unofficially called "ollie' and was voiced by Sam Edwards.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• All you need is LOVE

great photos

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Oogie, thank you SO MUCH for posting those photos! I loved that show, too, and it was great to see images of it again!! Thanks!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Oh those are so cool! My first visit to Disneyland was in 1986 (I was 11, almost 12) and I fondly remember America Sings. I remember going on it several times that day because I thought it was so cool. I was so disappointed when I went back again in 1989 (and on my 15th birthday) and discovered it was gone. But I did get to ride Star Tours and Splash Mountain for the first time that day so all wasn't lost.

I downloaded a decent quality video not too long ago and it was go good seeing the show again. America Sings has to be one of the best Disney attractions ever!

• Zero Blockout Dates

Awesome Pics.
    I miss this show, but I mis
    s the Carousel of Progress too....maybe more.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Minion FOREVER!

Thanks, Oogie!

I was a young punk during those years and did NOT see "America Sings"
    at all!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast