• (harmlessly)

Rate Disneyland: Today

Would any of the park regulars or recent visitors mind 'rating' Disneyland as it is RIGHT NOW (including, I guess, these past few days and/or an educated guess at the next few)?

Are there so many walls, fences and tarps up that the "magic" and intended immersion are negated/lessened?

I know that the point of a lot of the picture threads tends to be regarding what is being/need to be fixed, but would anyone mind running a series of pics of areas of the park w/out scaffolding and drainage materials?

(My sister and I are going for the first time in less than a week and I'm trying to hype her up with regular emails and photo links!)
    The Hedgehog's Dilemma

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    The walls, fences and tarps are needed. All this rehab is for:

a) to make the park look pristine for the 50th, to add some gold decor to things, etc

b) to erase the previous managment's ugly eyesore mistakes

c) to make Disneyland feel like it used to...with NO faded paint

• Minion

The walls are a unfortunatly needed element and are only temp. Without them, the faded paint, turmite eaten wood, and just general crud Disneyland had would be perm... We DONT want that.

Every time I see a wall go up, Im thrilled. Simply because once they come down, there is something new, or better.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

You'll have a great time. There is so much to see and enjoy, the tarps and walls are a minor distraction.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Banned User

I would mind the construction walls if they were neon orange, but all that is behind them is improvement in the making. The fact that the walls are themed to each area of the park is a plus as well. The themeing helps them blend in that much more.

• Where's my other cent?

I wouldn't worry about missing out on the magic. Sure, there are some walls up, but they aren't that bad, and, for the most part, are only covering things that aren't in use anyway. Plus, since it's so close to the start of the celebration, most of the referbs are done, so you get to enjoy lots of newly cleaned up areas. Personally, I was at a loss for words when I walked down Main Street this last weekend. It's very vibrant and clean, just amazing to look at and really draws you into the theme.

• Canadian Member

I haven't been going to Disneyland as much as someone from Southern California, but I've slowly watched the park fade and decay every August since 2000. But last summer things were already looking up when I came in for my first day and found that a few Main Street bulidings had been painted, and my favorite place to kick back and chill, the Plaza Pavillion, had been all freshened up too.

The tarps and walls are distracting, but if you are able to come back in a year to see the results, you'll find that it is a small price to pay for an enhanced experience later.

• CM for 4 years!

Most walls are up right now in Toontown. There's two in Toontown, and that can be pretty distracting for such a small space. But, Toontown isn't really an area made for adults (everything is kiddy-sized and in fact one of the refurb attractions, Goofy's Bounce House, is only for guests under the height of 52" or something) so you shouldn't have too much trouble there.

Main Street looks amazing right now. Tomorrowland is really shaping up to be something that actually looks nice. And of course, the recent refurb of TOm Sawyer Island is great.

The main attractions are all open: Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean (MY FAVE!), Matterhorn, and I just rode Splash Mountain last night. Hopefully you'll get a chance to go on the Disneyland Railroad, because it's really fun and relazing, and takes about 20 minutes to go around the whole park. We always get on at Main Street, ride it all the way around, and get back off at New Orleans, to ride Pirates.

Plus, the refurb walls have funny posters on them, like the one at Jungle Cruise that says "Something Gnu" XD My boyfriend makes us walk past it every time we go, just so he can have a chuckle, and get excited, since it's his favorite ride after Pirates

• Senior Minion

I think I would give it 9/10 just because there are massive improvements already described on this site. The reason I say this is because the last two times we have gone it has been a blast. (This last two months)

The one thing I want to see is what happens after the 50th celebration is over next year. What will happen will the service decline will the Disney Company not maintain things?
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

A lot of attractions have come out of refurb, and even though there is construction going on, I would have to agree with everyone above. Disneyland is still a very magical and fun-filled place. I'm going this weekend in fact...I've been dying for a dole whip!

I hope you have a great time!