Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

I used to be a cast member myself and I know that the *Disney Look* is very strict when being hired. And the key word to that is HIRED.

Once a person is hired, it's totally up to their leads/supervisors to continue to uphold the *Disney Look* with their employees, but sadly, that's not always the case.

Case in point, I was *talked to* by managers (not my supervisors) about my hair cut (style) one night while doing guest control for Fantasmic! The cut of mans haircut is supposed to be unison. Meaning (in my case), I couldn't have a *step* in my cut. Oh, by the way, I worked there from '96 thru '99 when that look was still kinda *in*. So I had to get my haircut the next day and have them *blend it*, so it all looked uniformed.

Now mind you, that was 10 years ago, so a lot could have changed, and by what I can see with both Parks now, it has! Traditionally, the hair on cast members could only be one color, with no hint of tinting/coloring. And that's been totally thrown out the door too, in both Parks.

I understand we're talking about tattoos here, but the same rules apply to that also. I was told before I was hired that no cast members could have visable tatoos and no tongue piercings...but I have seen both...and again, at both Parks. Now I had to admit, seeing these types of tattoos and piercings are not very frequent, but it's still out there.

So really, I blame their leads/supervisors for not upholding the *Disney Look* when it comes to their staff. As for seeing *Aladdin* with a tattoo, I'll have to ask my friend who plays *Aladdin* in the show what's up with that. He may be able to explain why the performers can allow their tattoos to show.

I do believe *the look* has changed a lot since I worked there and CM's are getting away with a lot more than they used to.

Re: More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

Entertainment CM's have always had different grooming standards than other CM's.

Ever see the 1970 episode of Wonderful World of Color with the Osmond Brothers and a young Kurt Russell? When Kurt gets up on stage at the Plaza Gardens with The Sound Castle to sing "Sugar, Sugar", several of the band members had big, bushy early 70's mustaches. The Sound Castle was a Disneyland staple of the late 60's through the mid 70's, playing Tomorrowland Terrace or the Plaza Gardens regularly. Nevermind the fact that The Sound Castle back-up singers/go-go girls had miniskirt hemlines about a foot above the knee.

And, in the same episode, the Dapper Dans perform in front of Tomorrowland with several members of that group sporting mustaches. Luckily, the Dapper Dans weren't wearing miniskirts in 1970.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEars
    As for seeing *Aladdin* with a tattoo, I'll have to ask my friend who plays *Aladdin* in the show what's up with that. He may be able to explain why the performers can allow their tattoos to show.
    My hunch is that Manabyte couldn't actually see the real tattoo. I'm betting that the covering, tape, or makeup used to mask the tattoo is what was visible. At worst, perhaps the tape had slipped a bit, or the makeup was running by the end of the show, and part of the tattoo was visible?

• Oh my Goodness!

Red Face Re: More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

Well as I understand it from talking to CM's at Snow White AND Aladin, the actors aren't CM's in the same sense that parade performers and such are. They are part of the actor's union and have differant standards then the 'regular' CMs. I may be wrong or may have misunderstood. I'm just an APH and not a CM or anything.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000
    My hunch is that Manabyte couldn't actually see the real tattoo. I'm betting that the covering, tape, or makeup used to mask the tattoo is what was visible. At worst, perhaps the tape had slipped a bit, or the makeup was running by the end of the show, and part of the tattoo was visible?
    No, the tatoo was fully visible during the show. I even heard some people say "since when did Aladdin have a tatoo?"
    Last edited by ManaByte; 06-04-2006 at 08:11 PM.

Dancing girls? Lower back tatoo? Where do I sign up!?

• Gay Man

I guess Disney finially woke up to reality. They decided that putting such outdated limits on their staff was huring their quality.

I'd rather have good people with tats than rude people without tats.

Besides, I guess with all of those free-wheling creatives from Pixar now on board, they'd better change their ways. Get with the new century Disney before it is too late.

• dreams do come true

Quote Originally Posted by cpdisneyprincess
    Well as I understand it from talking to CM's at Snow White AND Aladin, the actors aren't CM's in the same sense that parade performers and such are. They are part of the actor's union and have differant standards then the 'regular' CMs. I may be wrong or may have misunderstood. I'm just an APH and not a CM or anything.
    This is true I was a Union performer for the resort and I was able (as long as my part in the show at the time alowed it) to do as I wanted ( long hair, facial hair, Earings Tatoosect.) Example the drumers in the lion king parade had long hair. The bands that play dont follow the grooming rules and I did not have to either. Once agian I worked at the Resort for 11 years and 6 of them in entertainment 1 of them in the union.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Yep, the auditions for Snow White & Aladdin are different than the ones for parades, etc. They are considered "Professional Talent" & are union performers.

I've auditioned for both & they are like night & day. The Aladdin auditions were very "Hollywood" and the parade auditions were very "Disney" if that makes any sense. One of the first things they tell you at parade auditions is the rule about visible tatoos. It was never mentioned at the Aladdin auditions.
    <o>

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper S
    This is true I was a Union performer for the resort and I was able (as long as my part in the show at the time alowed it) to do as I wanted ( long hair, facial hair, Earings Tatoosect.) Example the drumers in the lion king parade had long hair. The bands that play dont follow the grooming rules and I did not have to either. Once agian I worked at the Resort for 11 years and 6 of them in entertainment 1 of them in the union.
    I was just thinking about that. Most of the entertainment performers (musicians, actors, etc.) are from a union.

• white and nerdy

wow. If Aladdin and Snow White are Union actors then I expect a much better show than they give me.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• The Candidate

Would this be a good time to interject that even in Walt's time the grooming rules could be a little strange. Most noticeably is a facial hair rule from a guy who wore a mustache.

I remember reading once where a CM who was going to play a face character who had facial hair grew in his own. They made him shave it and then used make-up to draw it in.

Also, society did not freeze in time when Walt died. I think that tattoos represent something totally different now. In the past they were more associated with motorcycle gangs and sailors. Now they are a little more mainstream. As long as they are tactfully done, I don't see why they should disqualify someone who otherwise meets the qualifications to be a cast member.

• e komo mai

Tattoos are fine. But Aladdins with mustaches... I'd have a problem with that.

• Circle of Ancients

Were they at least Disney tatoos???

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I think it should depend on where they are working. The Victorian-era Main Street, USA and Frontierland should not allow Cast Members to have tattoos. But at a place like Animal Kingdom or World Showcase I think I'd welcome a Cast Member with traditional (or tradition based) tattoos.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast