Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    wow. If Aladdin and Snow White are Union actors then I expect a much better show than they give me.
    Ahh, but remember that these days anyone can get into an actors union. Heck, I've been offered SAG before. I didn't take it because I know I do not stand a chance at SAG level yet, and being in the union would only prohibit me or make me too costly for the smaller projects.

Anyway, my opinion is thus:
    if the tattoos do not ruin the look, then no problem. If you have flame tattoos on your arms and neck, don't work Indy or the Matterhorn, they don't work with "the story." However, such body art could be acceptable in many areas of DCA because it is set in a contemporary atmosphere and much of it is based on a "hip fun loving culture."
    Personally I find tattoos unnatractive. Everytime a really cute girl mentions that shes going to get a tattoo in the middle of her back or something small and cute just right above/below my ankle/neckline/breast/bikiniline/shoulder, my labido rolls over in it's grave.

And as for Aladdin having a tattoo, it would all depend on what the tat actually was. Also if he was good other than that. I have seen chubby asian Aladdins, and if they had been good, I wouldn't have minded. And if it bothers you, just mention it to city hall or whatever it is in DCA and maybe they'll have him wear some make up over it.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Re: More proof of the hiring problems? Visible tatoos in the Aladdin show at DCA

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango
    Personally I find tattoos unnatractive. Everytime a really cute girl mentions that shes going to get a tattoo in the middle of her back or something small and cute just right above/below my ankle/neckline/breast/bikiniline/shoulder, my labido rolls over in it's grave.
    You read my mind right there haha. Although if it goes with the theme keep the tattoo, if its offensive or overboard though it shouldnt be shown.

• Food & Whine Aficianado

I noticed Aladdin's arm tatoo on Saturday. It looked like he tried covering it with makeup. Didn't bother me at all and I thought the actor did a really good job. I don't think Disney's hiring problems affect high-profile gigs like Aladdin. Seems like it would be a nice addition to one's acting resume.

The unpleasant women collecting priority seating vouchers at the Hyperion Theater, however, is another story entirely.
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

• A New Kind Of Villain

Maybe this is one of the reasons there's actually an open audition next week for the DCA Alladin show.

http://corporate.disney.go.com/caree...and.html#Shows

If I could sing, I'd probably consider giving it a shot XD

I think the cast is pretty low too. I believe there's currently only one actor playing the Genie. Not sure about the rest of them.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenEars
    Now mind you, that was 10 years ago, so a lot could have changed, and by what I can see with both Parks now, it has! Traditionally, the hair on cast members could only be one color, with no hint of tinting/coloring. And that's been totally thrown out the door too, in both Parks. .
    I know form my hiring process for WDW if you tint or color your hair but it blends and "looks natural" it is acceptable.

• Thurl,gone,not forgotten

MAKE UP!!!!
    Simply require all CMs cover visable tattoos with make up,no exceptions.Problem solved.

•   
    • Minion

Ben Nye makes a great tattoo cover up... It's called "tattoo coverup"

http://www.bennye.com/

I have no problem with people having tattoos, but not using make up on stage to cover tattoos is a SERIOUS problem with costume/make up personell at DL...
    Check out my other blog:

• Do you think I'm... odd?

My Traditions class was about 2 months ago, so I can tell you that :

a) Visible tattoos are a no-no, but as long as they are covered (and covered with makeup is acceptable) they will not prohibit you from being hired at Disney.

HOWEVER, there are always exceptions to the rule.

b) Entertainment CMs are a separate entity. There were no entertainment people in my Traditions class. If/when you are hired into entertainment, you are required to join a union. At least, that's how I understand it, and then you adhere to the rules of the union.

Continuing on,

c) If you "keep the tattoo because it goes along with the theming," where do you draw the line? You'll get a lot of disgruntled CMs because they're considered in the "gray area." "Well, why does SHE get that tattoo, and I can't show mine???" Besides, what if you are cross-utilized in another part of the park, or in the OTHER park? I saw someone from Tomorrowland working at DCA once. If she'd had multiple "space-age" piercings, that really wouldn't have worked with the bug's land cart she was operating. (And they really must have been understaffed for her not to have even had time to change costumes.)

d) Piercings also are a no-no. I saw a 2006er at the Stage Door Cafe with a tongue piercing. The jewelry standards are very clear on this. One watch, one ring, one set of earrings for women in the bottom part of your earlobe only, either small studs or hoops no bigger than a quarter. When you work in one of the "business" locations, you are also allowed two necklaces and a bracelet in addition to the watch.

e) Hair color, if you choose to use it, must look like it could conceivably grow out of your head. If you want to use highlights, they have to be small, not chunky, and evenly dispersed throughout your entire head, and not in a color that's too contrasting. The whole point of these standards is to promote the "natural" look. Disney CMs are supposed to be all-american and wholesome! ^_^ Or something...

f) Again, there are exceptions to the facial hair rule for performers. As it applies to your character, you may be allowed to wear a mustache as long as it doesn't extend over the corners of your mouth.

And yes, there are other rules, but I don't want to type them all out here... The point is that Disney has high standards and being that it's DISNEY and people who go there have come to expect those standards, it's better to uphold them rather than to nitpick that THIS tattoo is okay but THAT tattoo is not. You never know what culture might be offended by what tattoo or what piercing, and since Disney is open to everyone regardless, they want to keep everything neutral and in doing so, making sure everyone's experience isn't disturbed. Why do you think CM have the two-finger point? Because some people are offended by an single index finger point. And it's not just up to the leads or supervisors to get on a CMs case for not upholding the Disney Look. We all get the handbook, we can all check the portal for Disney Look guidelines, it's our responsibility first and foremost. If a CM chooses to flaunt the dress code repeatedly, worry not, they won't be around very long.

As for the performers, you'd have to look at the union guidelines. As I am not a part of entertainment, I couldn't tell you. And while Disney is rather understaffed at the moment, that doesn't mean that they're going to hire substandard performers for their shows. It's actually pretty difficult to get into Entertainment at Disney because their performance standards are so high! Beyond the tattoo business, was his performance good or not? If it was, then wasn't that what you went to the show for?

Sorry to make the post so long, it just seemed like there was a lot of confusion on these points... ^_^ Hope I cleared some of them up and I didn't offend anyone. (That seems to happen a lot here.)
    Ask me to share your fantasies, dear, but don't ask me where tomorrow is
    Don't ask me where to find happiness, though I know for sure where sorrow is

"A mistake played with hesitance is a mistake. A mistake played with authority is an interpretation." @}--->----

• CM for 4 years!

That's ludicrous and offensive. In any serious stage profession, you can't have visible tattoos! Any stage performer who is serious about their work would never ever get a tattoo, because they don't know what they might have to do that might cause them to be seen as "not right for the role" because of it.

If we all have to adhere to Disney look guidelines (I cried and ended up self-conscious about my looks for days when I had to take out my nostril piercing when I hired in), then so should entertainment cast members-- I mean, ESPECIALLY entertainment cast members. No one want to meet n greet with Ariel with something tattooed on her arm!
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

I hear you, I mean I did Princess parties for nearly a year and one of the girls I worked with had a tongue piercing. Once, a mom said to the owner "Next time, could Cinderella take out her tongue piercing?"

But Disney entertainers are contracted union workers and therefore are under different rules. Still, I really don't think that Disney would hire an Ariel with tattoos all over her (that COULDN'T be covered) unless her performance was just so exemplary that they had to use her.

And plenty of professional actors get tattoos. I know for the fact that everyone in the "fellowship" from the 1st Lord of the Rings movie got a matching tattoo somewhere on their body, even Ian McKellen. Professional makeup artists have tricks to cover them up. Ben Nye does wonders.
    Last edited by LicieOIC; 06-05-2006 at 10:57 AM.

"A mistake played with hesitance is a mistake. A mistake played with authority is an interpretation." @}--->----

• A New Kind Of Villain

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    No one want to meet n greet with Ariel with something tattooed on her arm!
    You'd be amazed...
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Disneyland Freak

Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten
    See, and to me, that makes it fine - it's covered up, and done in a nice fashion.
    I totally agree. Ditto.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

• I Hug My Tapirs

Quote Originally Posted by RoseRedAngel
    b) Entertainment CMs are a separate entity. There were no entertainment people in my Traditions class. If/when you are hired into entertainment, you are required to join a union. At least, that's how I understand it, and then you adhere to the rules of the union.
    They do go through Traditions, though. I knew someone who was in Parades that went through Traditions with some of the incoming Aladdin cast.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten
    They do go through Traditions, though. I knew someone who was in Parades that went through Traditions with some of the incoming Aladdin cast.
    I didn't mean to imply they didn't go through Traditions at all, merely that there weren't any in my class. And not everything in Traditions applies to everyone. For example, the money handling aspect wouldn't apply to Entertainment CMs.

• Gay Man

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    That's ludicrous and offensive. In any serious stage profession, you can't have visible tattoos! Any stage performer who is serious about their work would never ever get a tattoo, because they don't know what they might have to do that might cause them to be seen as "not right for the role" because of it.
    Tell that to Angeline Jolie or the thousands of other actresses and models who have tats and piercings.

Or, maybe in the "real" world it really doesn't matter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast