• Looking for Love

I don't understand the lights

I once read on the former mouseplanet (als old site) about the way disneys coasters work and how if two of them get to close, they stop the ride and all the cars slowly roll back down. What I don't understand is why does Space Mountain turn on the lights everytime this happens. Lit Inside pictures of SM are all over the internet now thanks to the everpopular(STUPID) camera phones.
    I mean...don't you think it takes away from the Disney magic. It's like disney is revealing there secrets to everyone everytime this happenes.

• That's Hawt

Re: I don't understand the lights

Probablly because some of the stops have to be manually reset, and it is preferred that guests and CM's are safe, even if it ruins the illusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Derekuda
    What I don't understand is why does Space Mountain turn on the lights everytime this happens.
    It's an automatic trip system for any reason. Imagine if there was some sort of freak accident, it's important that the lights be on. Also, since the CMs must manually release the rockets from the zones, it's important that they can see what they are doing. A ride cycle is a common operation, and it's safety over show.
    Last edited by Monorail Man; 06-04-2006 at 09:56 PM.
    -Monorail Man

• Looking for Love

Quote Originally Posted by MiceMan
    Probablly because some of the stops have to be manually reset,.
    Do they really have to manually reset all the brakes and rockets. Thats quite odd. I guess that makes sence sence it allows someone to inspect the track as they work their way up.

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man
    It's an automatic trip system for any reason. Imagine if there was some sort of freak accident, it's important that the lights be on. Also, since the CMs must manually release the rockets from the zones, it's important that they can see what they are doing. A ride cycle is a common operation, and it's safety over show.
    The lights don't come on automatically (at least they didn't used to under the old system).

The cast memeber in the Tower was supposed to turn the lights on while the ride was cascading because management thought that guests would panic if their rocket was at a stop and they could hear all the other rockets coming at them from behind.

If the guests can see that the rockets are stopping, then they're less apt to freak out.

When the ride finishes cascading, an announcement usually comes over the PA instructing the guests that a cast member will be around to assist them.

Then, two teams of two cast members run the different routes around the mountain to manually release the brakes and push the rockets to get them going again. Since this is a gravity based ride, there is no other way to get things moving again. You don't have to push hard to get a rocket going, all the brake zones are planned so that it just takes a nudge to allow gravity to take over again and finish.

• Banned User

I mean...don't you think it takes away from the Disney magic. It's like disney is revealing there secrets to everyone everytime this happenes.
    No! I think it is cool to see stuff like that!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Safety first. I'm sure there's some Cal-OSHA rules pertaining to this.

• ROFLCOPTER!

Do they really have to manually reset all the brakes and rockets. Thats quite odd. I guess that makes sence sence it allows someone to inspect the track as they work their way up.
    Ooo ooo! Something I think I can explain in more detail for ya!

I've worked on several coasters at that other theme park and I know that we manually have to reset all the brakes just as formerdiz says they do on space mountain. I've seen the same buttons on disney rides, so I'm assuming their system is very like ours. For example, on Ninja there are three break points and you have to reset them in a specific order because it won't work if there's a train in the brake point before it. I was told that this is done because the person in the operating tower can't see everything as well as someone standing right by the brake. This same sort of precaution is even used at the launch area. You'll notice that there are usually two people needed to make the ride move at all, one in dispatch and one in the control booth. They have to both pull the buttons at the same time for the train to move. This way if one person thinks it's all clear and the other sees something that makes it unsafe the train won't move. It's all about safety.

edit - Oh, and an extra guess about the lights! If cast members need to wander down there to reset it then they probably don't want them stumbling around in the dark or with just a flashlight.

What people said above is correct. If the station backs up, the only way to reset is to send 2 people in there to reset and push the car down. if the stop if an "AUTO-E"... basically the computer stops the ride cause it reads something it doesn't like. like u mentioned, the cars getting too close to each other which is referred to as an intrustion.... lights come on because the ride can not be restarted without powering down than back up... so why have people who just got stopped on ride AND sit in the pitch dark. Im sure it would be more reassuring with the lgihts on... plus for this stop they also have to go in the building and reset or evac., might as well turn the lights on ASAP.