Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Wink I finally understand Tomorrowland

For months I have been perplexed over Disneyland's Tomotrowland. Finding Nemo? Rumors of Cars Autopia and Incredible's People Mover? Shooting at giant toys in space? A Best Buy? And a movie based using the plotline of a film no longer known by children? What's going on???

But last night I finally understood. Tomorrowland has always had a problem staying fresh. In 98 they tried to apply a fictional timeless idea of Tomorrow based on Jules Verne. After failure, they have reverted most of the land into a newer idea of what was there before. Except for the autopias. And the Astro Orbitor. These attractions are still in TL 98 style.

Last night I realised that this new TL is not our future as a society, or technology, or even our fictional future. Instead, this new TL is the future of Disney themeparks. We see a lack of cohesive theme. Nearly every attraction will have some sort of movie tie in. Most of these movie tie ins will be Pixar films. We won't necessarily get new attractions, just refurbished/rethemed attractions such as SM/Nemo. Also, in the theme of no new attractions, old attractions that no longer to audiences or simply never related to audiences will be left to rot. Not replaced, not rethought, just left open for those wishing to find air conditioning.

So everyone needs to stop complaining that Nemo doesn't fit the theme or that TL has no idea what it wants to be. You just don't get it. Tomorrowland is the Disneyland of Tomorrow.

• It's all nonsense

Re: I finally understand Tomorrowland

Baseball bat, meet dead horse....proceed with beating.

• Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango
    Last night I realised that this new TL is not our future as a society, or technology, or even our fictional future. Instead, this new TL is the future of Disney themeparks. We see a lack of cohesive theme. Nearly every attraction will have some sort of movie tie in. Most of these movie tie ins will be Pixar films. We won't necessarily get new attractions, just refurbished/rethemed attractions such as SM/Nemo. Also, in the theme of no new attractions, old attractions that no longer to audiences or simply never related to audiences will be left to rot. Not replaced, not rethought, just left open for those wishing to find air conditioning.
    I think you really hit the nail on the head here. Tomorrowland has floundered since the time that a futuristic visionary (Walt) stopped shaping it. Now like you said it is the future of those who have no ideal of a future, only the short sighted goals of tying everything in with a movie, or selling more consumer electronics. not a vision of how we can shape and make the future a better place.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Could just rename it Pixarland?

• e komo mai

I guess there are challenges when you call an area Tomorrowland.

• back in Austin

Yeah, this subject has been around the block a few times, but it does make me wonder: how thoroughly did Walt Disney himself think this out? When he came up with "Tomorrowland", was he thinking about how problematic and expensive such a concept would be?

Are there any quotes of his, like "yeah we're gonna have to update this every <insert number here> years"?

• The pride is back.

Quote Originally Posted by RenMan
    Yeah, this subject has been around the block a few times, but it does make me wonder: how thoroughly did Walt Disney himself think this out? When he came up with "Tomorrowland", was he thinking about how problematic and expensive such a concept would be?
    Apparently not, since it was an issue just a couple of years after the park opened, and major overhauls to the land happened before Walt died.

• The Fantasyland guy

nobody questioned walt back then. Of course someone was thinking "this is gonna be expensive...." but not walt.

walt releized that if you buiild a quaility product, people will come and come again and again. Very similar to Matt O's concept of what he wants to do with Disneyland.

Money is usually not a problem if you actully deliver a good product.

The genre of fiction that Tomorrowland encompasses is timeless. Jules Verne's stories, including "20,000 Leagues under the Sea", are immortal. H.G. Wells' stories are, as well. And, George Lucas' "Star Wars" is set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Human beings have been thinking about the future from time immemorial. And, they will continue to do so. Disneyland management and W.D.I. just need to return to doing so, as well.

• Closed Account

There was a Best Buy in MananaLand? How did I miss that? When did it open and when did it close?

• Coming soon...

I feel that the "Victorian Visionnaires" theme should have been much better. But, as it failed in America Disney decided to phase out the "classic" feel of Discoveryland in Disneyland Paris (cough..Buzz Lightyear..cough..cough!). Oh well, It could have been MUCH MUCH MUCH worse e.g Toy Story 2 bumper cars rumour, STITCH, Monsters' inc. rumour. Shudder.

•   
    • Minion

Last night I realised that this new TL is not our future as a society, or technology, or even our fictional future. Instead, this new TL is the future of Disney themeparks. We see a lack of cohesive theme. Nearly every attraction will have some sort of movie tie in. Most of these movie tie ins will be Pixar films.
    I had two thoughts:

1. :barf:

2. These are Disney films, not Pixar films... Pixar is Disney now...
    Check out my other blog:

• Closed Account

Disney movies = failures
    Pixar movies = success
    $ucec$$ = $$$$$$$$$$$

In conclu$ion, $ucce$$ mean$ more money for Disneyland...build it and they will come!

• Minion FOREVER!

For months I have been perplexed over Disneyland's Tomotrowland. Finding Nemo? Rumors of Cars Autopia and Incredible's People Mover? Shooting at giant toys in space? A Best Buy? And a movie based using the plotline of a film no longer known by children? What's going on???

But last night I finally understood. Tomorrowland has always had a problem staying fresh. In 98 they tried to apply a fictional timeless idea of Tomorrow based on Jules Verne. After failure, they have reverted most of the land into a newer idea of what was there before. Except for the autopias. And the Astro Orbitor. These attractions are still in TL 98 style.
    This is always an issue and it was identified by Walt himself. But that's
    was NOT a problem with him. (In fact, he says this for the rest of Disneyland
    as well; that Disneyland will always be a work in progress.). The "Discoveryland" concept was put forth in an attempt to save money by the previous regime
    in DL (and WDC). Even this could have worked to a degree. However, that regime
    even decided to skimp even then: Rocket Rods on PeopleMover tracks w/o banks,
    "new" AstroOrbitor, and nothing much else beyond paint.

First of all, movie tie-ins existed even during Walt days (albeit much less
    than now). Regarding "Pixar"-films, there are NO MORE PIXAR FILMS! It's
    ALL Disney! If any of these films were made by Disney would you have a
    problem?!? (BTW. I actually would since I actually don't like all the movie
    tie-ins, but that's a different issue:-).

Regarding "old" rides, it makes no sense for the DL to not redo rides when
    space (and ride capacity) is at a premium. Also if this was the case, then
    they would have brought Limo back up as is instead of closing it (or creating
    MI). The current management definitely thinks about the "show" (although
    they do have constraints as well).

Another case in point: "Tiki room" This was definitely a languishing ride with
    a/c before the 50th refurb. But a wonderful refurb and voila! a nostalgic
    hit again!

So everyone needs to stop complaining that Nemo doesn't fit the theme or that TL has no idea what it wants to be. You just don't get it. Tomorrowland is the Disneyland of Tomorrow.
    Well, you are completely welcome to think that and although prior to the 50th
    I would have agreed with you, I no longer think this will be the case.

My two cents only....

-----
    Edit: Fixed a incorrect quote tag.

• Ian The Fox

Quote Originally Posted by Wren
    Could just rename it Pixarland?
    I think that Disney's California Adventure is more like Disney's Pixar Adventure. It'd be sad to see Pixar overrun Disneyland, as much as I like Pixar films.
    Woof!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast