Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve Martin

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Steve Martin

It used to be The Walt Disney Story Featuring Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln. Why not somehing similar again, Mr. Lincoln as an addition. Continually roll out new documentaries and models (like ever year or Disney year) and just keep Mr. Lincoln as apart of this rolling exhibit on the history of Disneyland and it's attractions. Maybe even for big anniversary years include an exhibit on the other resorts.

• Mousketeer

Just put Whoopi into both presentations and move both shows in with golden dreams and splice them together. It could be a variety show.

Maybe when the 50th celebration is over, have a show with an AA of Steve Martin portraying Abe Lincoln...

• Neep meep beep

The film is suprisingly good... but what I hope they keep are the exhibits! The diorama of Disneyland on opening day, and the attractions exhibits, including the cutaway of the Space Mountain tracks, and the models from the attractions are ... priceless!

• Ian The Fox

While I love Steve and Donald, I do have to say that Lincoln probably should be moved back in. After all, even after several decades worth of shows, he's still one of the most realistic, believable animatronics in the park and it would be a shame for him to permanently leave Disneyland.
    Woof!

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95
    I agree. The 50th anniversary show with Steve Martin and Donald Duck is great and very entertaining, but like all movies shown in the park, it will eventually grow stale. So as much as I like the current show, they will probably have to continue to update it and keep playing different shows in order to generate guest interest. I think it would be great to show more films like this, more "Making of" documentaries like how they made the Jungle Cruise or how they made Thunder Mountain. Sort of like the types of shows you would see on the Discovery Channel, both informative and Educational.
    BTW. not to derail the subject, but there are displays and voice recordings of
    people who worked on some of the rides (HM, PotC, iasw) talking about their
    recollections in the Disneyland 50th exhibit at the Oakland Museum. They even have one
    of the first "Mr. Lincoln" on display (I think it's the world's fair one). It's kind of eerie to
    see him (they have his "guts" exposed for the half of him).

It would be neat if WDC compiled it all into several documentaries like this!
    Last edited by nish221; 06-05-2006 at 10:24 AM.

• Minion FOREVER!

Back on topic: I actually like the new movie as well, but it definitely
    has a 50ish ring about it. I agree that they should/could bring back
    Mr. Lincoln, but with even a newer AA version!

• Banned User

I like the new Steve Martin movie, but once the celebration for the 50th winds down, it will need to be retired, or better yet, replaced with something else about Disneyland itself. I can easily imagine a relatively inexpensive movie created every other year focusing on past, present and future elements of the park.

I saw Lincoln twice (once a long long time ago, and once after the "upgrade"), and could understand why the theater was all but empty both times, even though the rest of Disneyland was packed. It was a snoozer. Let it rest in peace.

As far as hypothetical Abe versus Steve AA death match: Steve would win. Abe would try to fight fair, and Steve would kick him in his special purpose. "Game over, man. Game over."

• Do you think I'm... odd?

If you haven't already, see the First 50 Magical Years while you can, because on Oct 1st (when the 50th anniversary is officially over), Mr. Lincoln will be back and all of those beautiful things in the lobby area will be gone too, so DO go and see the show. The model of Sleeping Beauty's Castle in there has only been on display 3 times, this being the third time, and it's unlikely that it'll be displayed again for a very long time after this. (And if you kneel down and look over the drawbridge, you can see a tiny Walt walking through it.)

What makes the show even more special is that you get to see the Disneyland of 1955 in color, and it's never been shown that way until this show was produced. Because back in 1955, no one had a color tv, but Walt knew that color was the future, so it was filmed in color and in black and white. While watching the show, it really was special for me to see Disneyland the way Walt saw it. (But maybe I'm just a huge nerd.)

Anyway, go and enjoy... Because all the 50th stuff is going away in a few months...
    Ask me to share your fantasies, dear, but don't ask me where tomorrow is
    Don't ask me where to find happiness, though I know for sure where sorrow is

"A mistake played with hesitance is a mistake. A mistake played with authority is an interpretation." @}--->----

• /sigh

Steve and Abe...they're two wild and crrrrazy guys!
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Minion

Honestly, no one really cares about Abe outside of the hardcore Disney fan community. Everytime I've ever seen the show, there've only been a few people inside. But, the same can be said for the 50th show...

Personally, I'd like more historical bits on Disneyland than to an AA Lincoln.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Honestly, no one really cares about Abe outside of the hardcore Disney fan community. Everytime I've ever seen the show, there've only been a few people inside. But, the same can be said for the 50th show...

Personally, I'd like more historical bits on Disneyland than to an AA Lincoln.
    They need to bring back the orginal soundtrack for Mr. Lincoln... the current one where the soldier loses his leg just doesnt feel right. The original is much more patriotic. We need that sort of thing in America right now.

• The Fresh Maker

Also a reason to bring back Abe is that Walt idolized him (like how I am on first name basis with both? )

I hate this argument, because it can't be proven, but I really do feel Walt would want Abe back.

• Inhospitable about happy

The Steve Martin thing is a movie. Lincoln is a three dimensional AA show.

After the 50th, sell that (great) Steve Martin movie on DVD, like the movie that it is, but put Lincoln back. If they decide that Lincoln isn't the draw it once was, remodel the theater. Make the Lincoln stage and auditorium smaller, in accordance with a realistic measure of today's audience size, but keep him, and then use the freed-up space in the Opera House for something else.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Why not feature both on a rotating basis daily.
    The attraction of one could potentially lure more in for the next show.

I once was involved with an pre-opening park screening event there with Mr. Lincoln seated patiently behind the screen while we screened "The Tigger Movie" for a full house. A good portion of attendees stayed for his first appearance of the day.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast