Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Steve Martin

• The Fresh Maker

Re: Steve Martin

I agree, but there is definitely something to the history idea though... I wonder if the typical guest would be interested in Disneyland history in a none "special" year?

There is definitely some potential for that building!

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Schmielsen
    I would hate to see a show featuring an AA be replaced by a movie. Isn't that one of the major complaints about Golden Dreams? It's just a movie when it could have been so much more.
    But the Lincoln AA is only shown for the Gettysburg Address during the Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. That's not very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626
    Walt Disney said himself that Disneyland would always be changing as long as there was imagination, so why do you guys think that he'd still have Abe in the Opera House after 50 years?
    Maybe because imagination at Disneyland 'left the building'? Buzz Lightyear is just retrofitted doom buggies. And 'Winnie the Pooh' is really self-explanitory.
    Yes! Put Steve Martin on a DVD; Replace Lincoln (with the original Royal Dano speech) into a remodeled Main Street Cinema; keep the 'early Disneyland' in the foyer with refreshed models, interviews and exhibits; and let the Dapper Dans sing their hearts out in the Opera House, instead of chasing them all over Main Street.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• Neep meep beep

Back to the subject of this post, Steve Martin, I found it interesting to note that the film makes a huge deal of him working at the magic store on Main Street in Disneyland...

but fails to note that he credits his break into acting to Knotts Berry Farm. He appeared at the BirdCage theater there for years!

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

i love steve martin, he's awesome, not to mention attractive. I love watching that show, it's funny, cute, and lots of cool historic disneyland stuff

• Empress of Randomness

I love Steve Martin...he is such a legend!!!

Disneyland: 1998, 2005

Disneyland Paris: 1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

• Basking in birthday love

Mr. Lincoln is on vacation, he'll be back early next year. In the meantime, we have our fabulous film all about Disneyland's history and heritage...

Oh, sorry, went on autopilot there for a second.

It's funny, I've been told by older CMs that in order to hit our goals for the Race to a Million (get 1,000,000 people in to see Lincoln before it closed), they were actually physically pulling people into the Opera House to get the counts. Seriously, taking them by the arm and guiding them inside, telling them that Mr. Lincoln has been expecting them. (It worked, we hit our counts and finally got the walkthrough of Walt's apartment a couple of weeks ago as the reward.) Now, I get asked about Abe all the freaking time. I decided to keep count once, and during a 10 hour shift, I was asked 28 times. Though it's true, we don't exactly play to a full house. I can't speak for the old shows, but for this one, we're amazed if we get the theatre half-full.

It's not going to be an immediate switchover like some have suggested. True, the show will end on October 1st with everything else (and I'm putting in my schedule request to make sure I'm there on the last day), but there's no way a new show could reopen immediately. They'd have to remove all the current displays and put in all new ones, plus they'd have to retrain the entire cast on the new show. The O-House will be dark for at least a month, and probably longer since we don't think they've figured out exactly what's going in there next.

I kind of hope they won't bring back the headphones. I never got to experience them, so that would have been kind of cool, but from what I hear, they were a royal pain in the butt, since they had to be cleaned after every single performance. (Fun fact: In my second week or so of working there, someone asked me if this is where they did the haircut, and having never seen Lincoln, I looked at him like he was insane and thought he was talking about the Carousel of Progress. True story.)

I certainly do hope they'll do something with the Steve Martin show. It's very well done; I thoroughly enjoyed it the first 30 times or so I watched it. And since I get asked three or four times a week if it's available on DVD (and have had to stomp on more people trying to film the show lately), I'll bet that's coming after the conclusion of the celebration, along with the book of photomosaics that everyone's been clamoring for.

Though I must admit, getting rid of the current show fills me with just a bit of dread. I'll have to completely relearn my lobby spiel! *sob*

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Hooterville, USA

Both shows are keepers. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to move Steve and Donald somewhere in DL.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Neep meep beep

Great inside information from a Cast Member! Thanks aerinpegadrak!

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak
    I certainly do hope they'll do something with the Steve Martin show. It's very well done; I thoroughly enjoyed it the first 30 times or so I watched it. And since I get asked three or four times a week if it's available on DVD (and have had to stomp on more people trying to film the show lately), I'll bet that's coming after the conclusion of the celebration, along with the book of photomosaics that everyone's been clamoring for.
    That sounds like a good idea. Bring out some DVD's showing the special stuff they had going on 05/05/05 and on 07/17/05, the film in the Opera House with Steve Martin and Donald Duck, the parades, and fireworks maybe? And books with the mosaics? Sweet deal...I'd get them.

BRING BACK BOTH of Walt's offices PLEASE!!!!!!!

The Abe show (all versions) bring goosebumps to me when I think
    of them

Quote Originally Posted by DW JEDI
    BRING BACK BOTH of Walt's offices PLEASE!!!!!!!
    I miss seeing the replica of his office too.

• [email protected]

Abe needs to return, and he needs to return more like the original show, which was much better. What does NOT need to return is the size of the theater! I have never been in that theater with more that a half dozen other people. It's way too big for the draw. Lincoln AND Walt could both be accomodated in that space (or some other) with out too much effort (just money...)

There are young people who think that Walt is a character, an icon, rather than a person. The film (and there are others produced both by Disney and others) who help flesh him out. I really think that is an important addition to Disneyland.

However, Mr. Lincoln fulfills in an important way one of Walt's original hopes for Disneyland in furthering important ideals which are often lost in today's world. Lincoln deserves the opportunity to present his ideals! It occurs to me that if the theater Mr. Lincoln appeared in was more "intimate," the message would be more powerful--not less.

My vote is: do both; there's plenty of room, and both are important.

• The Fresh Maker

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    It occurs to me that if the theater Mr. Lincoln appeared in was more "intimate," the message would be more powerful--not less.

My vote is: do both; there's plenty of room, and both are important.
    Here! Here! I second the motion. So... when do we start the refurb?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234