Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• white and nerdy

The Goat Trick Revealed: Everything you wanted to know. (photo heavy)

Originally posted in the MiceChat Gold Mythbuster's club. (join today!!!) Right now there aren't many members so I did all this work for seemingly nothing. I decided to post it here so all can smile and perhaps correct my poor science.

I give you: The Goat Trick.

I almost didn't get to do the myth at all. It was looking like Thunder Mountain would be closed when I was there, but luckily it opened and I got to ride 12 times. That's right 12 times.

So... here we go then.

1. There is a very real difference with the goat trick depending on where you sit. As I sat on the front row I couldn't really feel anything at all. Each car you go back you feel the sensation more, peaking in the very back row.

What causes the sensation? G-force ladies and gents, g-force. You see, when you ride around the "goat bend" you feel a real lateral g-force. (I don't know the exact g-force you feel. I'm not a real mythbuster and as such I don't have the bevy of cool tools they have) Lateral g-force is like you feel on Muholland Madness and other "crazy mouse" type coasters. But when you turn your head toward the goat, your inner ear, which is where you feel how the g-force affects you, makes your body feel as if it is being pushed backwards rather than sideways (like the force you feel during the take off in California Screaming)

The reason the further back you sit the greater the sensation? Simple. You are going faster past the goat in the back seat, hence more g-force (see photos in the posts below).

2. One good point of having the ride closed for most of the day was the chance I got to really talk to some great Cast Members. Three to be exact. All three knew what the goat trick was and they all suggested riding in the back seat to get the best sensation.

Because of Fastpassmountain calling the back seat the "Baxter" seat I had to ask if they called it that. One CM heard it called that before, the other two had no idea why it would be called the Baxter seat in the first place.

When asked if the ride was developed with the Goat Trick in mind, they all agreed that it couldn't have been. The Goat of the goat trick was left over from previous Fronterland attractions. While everyone agreed that it was a fantastic coincidence, it really couldn't have been anything else.

Which is interesting when looking at...

#3. I tried to duplicate the goat trick on the following rides. Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Matterhorn, Indiana Jones, California Screaming, Muholland Madness and Tower of Terror.

The idea is not to try and see a goat and then feel the g-fore push you in a way that inhances the experience, it's to see if a reposition of your body, goat or not, can do it.

Space Mountain: Nothing really worked for me on this. Looking everywhere, turning my head in all directions on the turns, it just didn't give a different sensation.
    Splash Mountain: I discovered that if you lean forward during the duration of the drops then you get a sensation similar to the goat trick. I call it the Turtle trick because you stick you neck out like a turtle.
    Indiana Jones: During the blind turns in the dark, if you turn into the small of the turn, that is to say the inside, then the sensation is enhanced a bit, but not in any significant way
    California Screaming: Due to the harness, it is very hard to turn anything anywhere, however during take off I noticed that if you either plaster your head to the back of the seat as hard as it can go, or try the turtle trick by pushing your head forward during the duration of the take off, the sensation is greatly enhanced.
    Muholland Madness: Nothing I did seemed to make a difference, other than hurting me more.
    Tower of Terror: This suprised me. I put my head between my knees during the drops and got a sensation very similar to not only the goat trick, but of bungee jumping. Seriously you got to try this.

Anyway, while sensations can be duplicated, they are not really the same idea as the goat trick, that is to say, changing a lateral G-force into a horizontal G-force. It is unique to Thunder Mountain.

So, that's myth confirmed! The Goat trick is real and unique to Thunder Mountain.

The photos below show the goat trick in the front seat and in the back seat. The photos are taken once a second.

First from the front seat

So. 14 seconds on the front row.

And the last row

And only 8 seconds from the back row. A considerable difference.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Re: The Goat Trick Reveled: Everything you wanted to know. (photo heavy)

OMG!! Pure Genius! I must join your club if it's all like this!
    <o>

The good news is that all the posts are like this. The bad news is that this is the only post...

Quote Originally Posted by pixie chick
    OMG!! Pure Genius! I must join your club if it's all like this!

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    The good news is that all the posts are like this. The bad news is that this is the only post...
    so far.

I'm cooking up a little something that has to do with fire and how fast a man can run...
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Sold!
    <o>

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    Tower of Terror: This suprised me. I put my head between my knees during the drops and got a sensation very similar to not only the goat trick, but of bungee jumping. Seriously you got to try this.
    You can get an inverse of the feeling, by looking straight up, there is a solitary light bulb at the top of the shaft (not the flickering ones that run along the back wall), and keep your eyes fixated on it the entire drop sequence. It's basically an inverse Goat Trick, but can feel just as good.
    -Monorail Man

• Senior Minion

I just have this crazy picture of FPM running with TJL in front of an angry torch mob.

love the Goat photos! nice job! That is the beauty of digital.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man
    You can get an inverse of the feeling, by looking straight up, there is a solitary light bulb at the top of the shaft (not the flickering ones that run along the back wall), and keep your eyes fixated on it the entire drop sequence. It's basically an inverse Goat Trick, but can feel just as good.
    ... how did I miss that? I guess I was so enchanted by the "between the legs feeling" (and THAT won't get made fun of I'm sure) that I ignored the lookie up feeling.

Awww, I think "Goat Gaze (c)" sounds better!!!

(c) 2006 bornieo

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

So its "The Goat Trick" on Thunder Mountain, and "The Kiss Your Donkey Goodbye Trick" on Tower of Terror?

Josh, you have no idea how I wish I could have gone to the park with you that day! If I'd have known you were up to scientific research shenanigans I would have blown off my sister's surprise 40th birthday party!

• white and nerdy

It's hard to say what kind of psudo scientific shenanigans I'll get up to on any given day.

For example, Today i had my wife gag me with duct tape and a sock to see if I could get out of it without using my hands....

too much information?

I just get bored REAL EASY

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

TGel,

Most people, when left to their own devices, do bad things. You? You just make things more complicated!

This is a trip! Great writing dude!

Peace as well,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• All you need is LOVE

thanks for sharing love the pictures

• e komo mai

There's no reproducing the Goat Trick. It must be seen in person to fully experience the goatiness of the event. Nice try, though JL.

Just kidding. Cool pics.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Tgel - Thanks for the great pics! I could FEEL the G forces from right here in front of my computer!

Quote Originally Posted by Tgel
    Space Mountain: Nothing really worked for me on this. Looking everywhere, turning my head in all directions on the turns, it just didn't give a different sensation.
    This is because you're not looking at the space goat. But I heard they only use the space goat during the Rockit Mountain thing for grad night.

During testing they tried the space llama, but the effect was too powerful. Too many high school seniors were blowing chunks in front of Red Rocket's Pizza Port.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast