Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 84
  1. #31

    • SpitSpot!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    567

    Re: Pictures from the Disneyland Hotel.. late 60's / early 70's

    Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    Boy...you forget how RED those early 1970's were until you look at some vinatage shots. I remember being very red just before 1974 when we took a trip up to the World's Fair.

    When we came back, I think I was orange.

    Great shots! Thanks for sharing them!
    Well, you have to remember that colour was still in experimental stage back then. I recall the days when the world was sill back and white. My kids are stunned when I tell them stories about how everything was just shades of grey. Isn't progress great?

    Oggie Boogie I am your biggest fan!!! I love your vintage photos...such great memories.
    "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
    I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

  2. #32

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    947

    Re: Pictures from the Disneyland Hotel.. late 60's / early 70's

    Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    I stayed at the Hotel in the summers of 1989 and 1993 (structurally it was pretty much unchanged since the 1960's back then) and I miss it so much. It was beyond words how amazing it felt to stay there as a kid...Disneyland, 2 days in a ROW! Just hearing the name was enough to bring tons of excitement. I remember there was so much to do there, you could spend half a day just at the hotel back then.

    I've never understood the whole "resort" mentality in Anaheim, but one thing I really don't understand is why they would knock down tons of shops and restaurants around the hotel, only to put up shops and restaurants just down the walkway. I think they should've kept the Disneyland Hotel as it was and scrapped the whole Downtown Disney idea. Does anyone know why they changed the hotel so radically? I remember there was an area where you could control small remote-control Jungle Cruise boats (for $1, yipes). And the $1 tokens used at the hotel could sometimes be found in places like it's a small world's trench. The entire marina just gave a sense of relaxation...the fountains, the waterfalls, the paddleboats, the remote-controlled boats, and awesome diners at the entrance. The perfect end to a long and tiring day at Disneyland.

    I really think the extra hotels and Downtown Disney really diminish the Disneyland Hotel's old sense of exclusivity and granduer. I walked around the hotel for the first time since 1993 and I was shocked about how they filled in the marina with walkways and turned the fountains into planters. Without the beauty and exclusivity of the old Disneyland Hotel (not to mention the Monorail doesn't even come close to it anymore), I just don't think the extra price is worth it now when you can stay across the street for much less.

    I thought that "waterfall walkway" was absolutely gorgeous. Was that always there? It just seems too dreamlike and sublime to have been created in the last 15 years.
    I don't know if I agree with you, so much. That marina had become run-down. I was there in 1978, and it was beginning to get shabby then. Yes it was cute; however, at nighttime it was nothing.

    As cute and charming as the old hotel and shops were, they were dead dead dead, come nightfall.

    I think the idea behind the "resort" revamp was to make the whole place more of a nighttime destination.

    Even with the Fantasy Waters show.....and I dearly miss that.....there was something that felt isolated about it...when you were there, and yet all the real action is over in the Park.

    I think having the shops and things in DD funnels people more in the direction of where the action is....and it lets them become more of the "nightime" destination....which they weren't before DD, when they just had the far-flung shops and run-down marina.

    DD just makes things a bit more cohesive, and better continuity in which to build traffic control and make the whole "resort" a premiere destination, which it wasn't before.

  3. #33

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    947

    Re: Pictures from the Disneyland Hotel.. late 60's / early 70's

    "sense of exclusivity and grandeur"

    ......But the Disneyland Hotel had lost much of that by the late 70s.

    It's about nighttime glamour and excitement, and the Disneyland Hotel never had that to begin with. DD helps a little bit.

  4. #34

    • Cowboy, Bear, Pirate, etc
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    127

    Exclamation Project Resort

    Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    I've never understood the whole "resort" mentality in Anaheim, but one thing I really don't understand is why they would knock down tons of shops and restaurants around the hotel, only to put up shops and restaurants just down the walkway. I think they should've kept the Disneyland Hotel as it was and scrapped the whole Downtown Disney idea. Does anyone know why they changed the hotel so radically?
    I used to work the front desk of the DLH in the early 90s, so I know a tiny bit about the history. Of course many people remember that the hotel was built by Walt's friend Jack Wrather (the producer of Lassie). Walt couldn't afford to build the hotel and Hilton, Marriott and the like didn't want to. Wrather was the only person that Walt allowed to use the name Disneyland on a product that Walt didn't control. Walt regretted that decision for the rest of his life.

    Fast forward to the point where The Walt Disney Co. purchases the entire Wrather Corporation (including the Biltmore Hotel and the Queen Mary) just so it could take ownership of the Disneyland Hotel. After aquiring it, teams arrived from Florida to overhaul the towers and out buildings and raise the property to Disney standards--Project Resort. All of this anticipated that Disneyland would be expanded to more resemble Walt Disney World, where guests stay more days and spend more money!

    Go to Walt Disney World and check out the Contemporary, the Polynesian, or the Grand Floridian. Disney never would have built the Disneyland Hotel the way Jack Wrather built it. They couldn't tear down as much of it as possible any faster.

  5. #35

    • Shubisha
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Posts
    3,956

    Re: Pictures from the Disneyland Hotel.. late 60's / early 70's

    Quote Originally Posted by HuckSawyer
    Wrather was the only person that Walt allowed to use the name Disneyland on a product that Walt didn't control. Walt regretted that decision for the rest of his life. Disney never would have built the Disneyland Hotel the way Jack Wrather built it. They couldn't tear down as much of it as possible any faster.
    is that for real?:P i mean... i'm sure he would've built it differently and might've had some disagreements.. but did walt really despise it that much? he did extend the monorail there. it's hard to imagine he'd be against how it looked in the 80's and early 90's(though disney purchased it in 88).. it certainly is a cherised memory of mine and I despise its new look.

  6. #36

    • Huh?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,808

    Re: Pictures from the Disneyland Hotel.. late 60's / early 70's

    Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie
    Yah you can really tell the film was by Kodak. Kodak film uses a lot of red in it while Fuji film uses a lot of greens. That's how you can tell the 2 apart.
    And then there's Kodachrome -- the greatest slide film ever made!!!

    Colour theoretical lifespan: 150 years. Other slide films: 30 years.

    How I wish that they could make all slide film like Kodachrome... *sigh*
    -Tim

  7. #37

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA -- 370 miles north of Disneyland
    Posts
    35

    Re: Pictures from the Disneyland Hotel.. late 60's / early 70's

    Very cool pictures, Oogie Boogie! But how did you manage to scan slides? I have some slides that my dad took way back in 1956 that I'd love to be able to look at without having to hold them up to a light.

  8. #38

    • Huh?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    6,808

    Re: Pictures from the Disneyland Hotel.. late 60's / early 70's

    Best way to do it is a dedicated film scanner.

    Second best -- many of the newer scanners will scan slides through a film adapter built into it that provides a backlight to aid in scanning. I've found that the CanoScan series are some of the best for this -- especially since they are capable of medium formats.
    -Tim

  9. #39

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    947

    Re: Pictures from the Disneyland Hotel.. late 60's / early 70's

    Quote Originally Posted by almandot
    is that for real?:P i mean... i'm sure he would've built it differently and might've had some disagreements.. but did walt really despise it that much? he did extend the monorail there. it's hard to imagine he'd be against how it looked in the 80's and early 90's(though disney purchased it in 88).. it certainly is a cherised memory of mine and I despise its new look.
    The monorail went to the hotel because it had to. There was nothing but vacant land all around there. It was way out in the middle of nowhere, with nothing much going on.....and after the park closed.......dead dead dead.

    They had a major problem creating a nighttime atmosphere, even into the 90s and beyond.

    Major dead zone.

    There's a complete difference now. You see a bit of a spill over of the action from DD into the hotel grounds. There's more of an excitement around the premises, and it doesn't feel so dead after dark now that it is connected, somewhat with DD.

  10. #40

    • Super saucy pixie!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    841

    Re: Pictures from the Disneyland Hotel.. late 60's / early 70's

    These were wonderful! I'm so into vintage Disneyland/DLH photos of late. Thanks so much for sharing!

  11. #41

    • Shubisha
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Posts
    3,956

    Re: Pictures from the Disneyland Hotel.. late 60's / early 70's

    Quote Originally Posted by Pisces
    They had a major problem creating a nighttime atmosphere, even into the 90s and beyond.

    Major dead zone.

    There's a complete difference now. You see a bit of a spill over of the action from DD into the hotel grounds. There's more of an excitement around the premises, and it doesn't feel so dead after dark now that it is connected, somewhat with DD.
    Eh not really.. I'm usually in the park until its later hours if not closing.. when i get into DTD it ranges from everything's about to close to it's dead. Currently, if you're at the hotel, once it gets into the night you have the lost bar and that's it. You can go to DTD but when the park closes there's nothing... you can't get a late dinner, you can't do anything and it's a big shut down set of sidewalks, both DTD and the hotel. I hate finishing the night and then there's nothing to eat anywhere, not even croc's bits is open. if i'm lucky i can snag a pretzel from wetzel's but sometimes not even that.

    before when it got dark they had neon cactus for the adults at a bar thing, the jacuzzi was still open, they had fantasy waters for a show, and the monorail cafe for late night meals even after the park closed.

    I think that downtown disney is a good thing but the old hotel grounds were great and even if you couldn't walk to an espn zone at the time they were much better than exists now.

  12. #42

    • I'm Theme Park Happy!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,566

    Re: Pictures from the Disneyland Hotel.. late 60's / early 70's

    Woooowwww. Vintage Fotos are the best.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com



  13. #43

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    947

    Re: Pictures from the Disneyland Hotel.. late 60's / early 70's

    Quote Originally Posted by almandot
    Eh not really.. I'm usually in the park until its later hours if not closing.. when i get into DTD it ranges from everything's about to close to it's dead. Currently, if you're at the hotel, once it gets into the night you have the lost bar and that's it. You can go to DTD but when the park closes there's nothing... you can't get a late dinner, you can't do anything and it's a big shut down set of sidewalks, both DTD and the hotel. I hate finishing the night and then there's nothing to eat anywhere, not even croc's bits is open. if i'm lucky i can snag a pretzel from wetzel's but sometimes not even that.

    before when it got dark they had neon cactus for the adults at a bar thing, the jacuzzi was still open, they had fantasy waters for a show, and the monorail cafe for late night meals even after the park closed.

    I think that downtown disney is a good thing but the old hotel grounds were great and even if you couldn't walk to an espn zone at the time they were much better than exists now.
    The shops at DD are supposed to stay open till 12:00 pm on weekends.

    I know for a fact House of Blues is always open late.

    During peak periods World of Disney stays open the same hours as Main Street.

    I was there during the week leading up to New Years, and there were different things going on at the Disneyland Hotel grounds, including the outdoor decorations, and the outdoor Christmas tree with the drums----a crowd gathered around that tree late one night.

    So....

    None of that was there before the 2001 revamp.

  14. #44

    • MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oakland CA
    Posts
    5,724
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Pictures from the Disneyland Hotel.. late 60's / early 70's

    Quote Originally Posted by Dizneylad
    Very cool pictures, Oogie Boogie! But how did you manage to scan slides? I have some slides that my dad took way back in 1956 that I'd love to be able to look at without having to hold them up to a light.
    Many places that do film reproduction or duplication have the ability to scan slides as well. Unfortunatly they charge a really high price. As luck would have it, my sister in law has a scanner that can scan negatives... even slides. I just gave them to her to scan.

    Btw.. it took her 3 weeks to scan them all. I have about 300 slides of shots around the park from the late 60's and early 70's. I will be posting 1 land a week, so keep watching.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

  15. #45

    • Angel Fan MC Man
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beautiful Oxnard, CA
    Posts
    24,291
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Pictures from the Disneyland Hotel.. late 60's / early 70's

    I was there in the late 70's, and the Disneyland hotel area was dead after nightfall, throughout the year. The only action on West Street (that the APD would allow, anyway LOL) came from all the cars pouring of out of the parking lot at closing time.

    Does anyone else remember the old KEZY 1190 studios there that I referred to earlier?

    --Barry

    PS...a la Paul Simon..."Kodachrome...gives us those nice bright colors...makes you think all the world's a sunny day...Mama don't take my Kodachrome away..."
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 06-09-2006 at 10:29 PM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Trip Report] Late June, Early July Pictures of Epcot Resort Area
    By orez:wdw: in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-22-2008, 11:43 AM
  2. Retro pictures from Tomorrowland, late 60's / early 70's
    By OogieBoogie in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 01:52 PM
  3. Pictures from Frontierland, late 60's, early 70's
    By OogieBoogie in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-23-2006, 12:18 AM
  4. Disneyland of the 50's, 60's, 70's, and beyond
    By Disneyland's#1fan! in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-20-2006, 01:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •