Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Re: Pictures from the Disneyland Hotel.. late 60's / early 70's

Speaking of the old parking lot.. heres some images of it...

Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie

Oh man, the pants on that lady front and center are AWEOME!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I miss the Marina, but the shops and stuff were literally the old 1950s motel buildings that were being refurbished to keep alive through the years. I'll miss the Monorail Cafe, but I won't miss old buildings.

Also, I made some attempts to try and restore Oogie's pictures to something closer to original quality. Not all of them came out decent. These came out best:

• xmanmom

What year are those photos? I would guess early 70's? The ones you *just* posted Oogie.

I remember we would often go to the hotel just to hang out. We didn't have a room, seeing as how we lived under an hour away (but the drive sure seemed long when you're 4 or 5). I don't remember the arcade that's been mentioned, maybe it was before my time, but I do remember the paddle boats, and the caves under the waterfalls. I also remember some sort of tropical/adventure/nauticle themed shop. The Monorail cafe was the traditional dinner stop for my family every time we went to Disneyland. It was a sad day when we went around the time that ground was being broken for California Adventure and we discovered that our beloved restaurant was no more.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Please permit me to flesh out details of the old KEZY-AM 1190, which I believe went on the air at the Disneyland Hotel with the sound of Lassie's bark...in the late 1950's. "Lassie" was a Wrather production, don't forget.

When an ownership change in the late 1990's meant the end of the KEZY call letters even on the FM side, many of the old gang sent e-mails to Don Barrett's Los Angeles Radio People website, laradio.com...a sample...

"Can you take some more thoughts on KEZY?," emailed Rick Scarry. "I started working at the fishbowl in the Disneyland Hotel in 1968 and the guys I remember most were Bob Hudson [Beautiful Bob], Arlin Miller [Ugly Arl] and Ted [‘It ain't no big thing’] Quillin. I was hired by Arnie McClatchey [we did Armed Forces Radio together] as a utility man and during my time there I did every shift they had. I made the move from the magic kingdom to Ball Road and remember looking at all the orange trees outside the studio window. While we were still at the hotel, I remember how delighted everyone was when the station gave as Christmas presents to the staff, ‘TICKETS TO DISNEYLAND,’ just what we needed. It was a good time in my radio life and I remember it fondly."…
    By the way, the late and fantastic Mark Denis (best known for his work at KFI later on) was a program director at KEZY shortly after their move to Ball Road.

He also served as the voice of the Disneyland Monorail for many years.

For anyone interested.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat News Team

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lisaboo
    What year are those photos? I would guess early 70's? The ones you *just* posted Oogie.
    The parking lot photos are from August 1977.

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    Boy...you forget how RED those early 1970's were until you look at some vinatage shots. I remember being very red just before 1974 when we took a trip up to the World's Fair.
    Perhaps the person who took the photos was wearing rose colored sun-glasses? Or, maybe its a reflection of how the photographer viewed the world in general. Nothing wrong with a cheerful disposition what.
    Tref ...

what a joyful journey back into childhood. i clearly remember the radio station and watching them through the glass...but, for some reason, i thought it was "KW...IZ".

wow, the marina, the monorail bar and station, the helicopter shuttle to LAX, Vacationland and KOA, the original Stovall's, Melodyland and Hyatt House... Hamburger Hamlet and the miniature golf course... Dancing Waters and the Travelport... Bob, the Hotel Tram driver.

fond, fond memories.

I didn't know that Marc Denis (God rest his soul) was the "voice of the monorail", and i tend to doubt it. I first met Marc while he did a live remote broadcast from the Main Street Train Station in 1972 for the world premier of the Main Street Electrical Parade. He even gave me a ride home that night, as a way to thank me for helping him.

funny how even the memory of the parking lot with those high-voltage wires is wonderful.

thank you so much for the fun memories.

Hi everybody. Just got back into town. I will read every post and try to answer some or all of the very interesting questions on the Disneyland Hotel. RadioBarry-I have some great shots of KEZY which I can send you. In the mean time, I have also uploaded a bunch more pictures on the website.

www.magicalhotel.com

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie

If you look in the background of one of the pictures (the one with the campers and the Sierra Tower in it), you can see construction of the third and final tower...the Bonita Tower named after Jack Wrather's wife Bonita Granville. That was opened in late 1977 early 1978.

www.magicalhotel.com

Yes it is true that the original Disneyland Hotel was not developed, built and owned by Disney. Walt was out of money having spent everything he had (and then some) on the building of Disneyland. He convinced his friend and neighbor Jack Wrather to invest in the development and building of the Hotel.....even going so far as saying he could use the word "Disneyland" on any Hotel's he desired to build....plus sweetening the deal by giving Wrather a 99 year lease.

By the early 1970's, Wrather made some attempts to sell the Disneyland Hotel to Disney but a deal could never get worked out.

The Wrather Corporation fell on hard times in the late 70's/early 80's due to bad investments and changing trends. The Disneyland Hotel was in pretty sad shape by the late 70's but still charged more than other local area hotels/motels. Negotiations were resumed by the early 80's to once again sell the Hotel to Disney. Complications arose due to Jack Wrather's health and his eventual passing in 1984 from cancer.

Enter Michael Eisner on the scene at Disney. He was receiving too many complaints and too many critical reviews on the shape and condition of the Disneyland Hotel. He kept on saying "Disney does not even own the Hotel," but was told hey....your name is on it and people associate you with it. He then made it a priority to acquire the Hotel. By the late 80's, negotiations resumed with Chris Wrather (son of Jack who took over as CEO of Wrather Corp.) and Bonita Granville Wrather (Jacks' wife) and a deal was struck to purchase the Hotel along with the Spruce Goose and the Queen Mary....also Wrather properties.

When I talked with a cast member at Walt Disney Imagineering, she said they could not wait to tear down the old structures and that they were in a very sad state due to termites, rotting wood and just plain old being and looking old. I always thought they could have left up one old guest accommodation structure as kind of an historical landmark. Just to show people what the original Hotel looked like. Have tours with old photos and brochures. I thought that would have been very popular.

As far as the Monorail Cafe......it is my belief, if they were to open another Monorail Cafe in DTD, I think it would be packed at all times. I loved that place and would love to see them open a new one. I have even strongly suggested this to Resort management.

An interesting footnote. The Bellmen hated the two story garden structures. They had no elevators in them and they often times had to lug large amounts of baggage up stairs. They too were very happy to have those buildings destroyed.

• MiceChat News Team

Blog Entries

Very cool. Thank you for the history.

• Ex Dept 915 CM

Thanks for the photos of the old parking lot. As an ex parking lot cm, it brings back a lot of memories. Great pictures.

• Banned User

Ah, The old motor boats.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast