Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Peristyle and Marquee Concept

Every time I'm at the entrance to Disneyland, I always feel that there is something missing.

Disneyland does not have much of a sign identifying The Magic Kingdom, itself. The monorail beam and pylons also seem unattractive and unwelcoming. So, I spent a few minutes making the following file with an image editor to complete the picture, if you will.

My thinking is that the bowers of bougainvillea and other vegetation in front of the monorail beam would coordinate with the festive "Mickey Floral" parterre. And, the oversized marquee made of "popcorn lights" would coordinate with those used to trim the rooflines of Main Street, U.S.A.

The natural peristyle that the monorail beam creates adds just one more layer of depth to the entry sequence, but that layer makes a big difference in my opinion.

• Neep meep beep

Re: Peristyle and Marquee Concept

Can you perhaps enlarge that picture just a bit?

Here's an older edited picture of mine where the pavers in the piazza have been reddened and the electric busbar on the side of the monorail beam has been concealed by a panel with a slightly warmer shade of cream. I thought both colors blended better with Main Street Station.

This image is more in keeping with the way Disneyland's entrance currently looks, but I still find the picture lacking.

• Mousketeer

Your right, but it should look more like this:

http://theimaginaryworld.com/dtour03.html

• insufferable know-it-all

I like the idea, but it's not feasible because the beam must be exposed in order for the monorail to run on it. Any barrier blocking that view would have to be spaced quite far out in order to miss the monorail itself and not simultaneously creating a "hands-out-of-windows" hazard for monorail passengers.

On the other hand, a similar concept incorporated into the tops of the turnstiles could work nicely. I do love all the extra green.

However, the picture Yendorb linked... ahh... ya just can't beat walking toward DL with that big beautiful train station up above, can you? I sure do miss all the gingerbread on the main entrance. This "Irvine Beige" design stuff is so dull. (the current ticket booths, etc.... very plain)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Neep meep beep

Yendorb, what a great posting! Is that your website?

By the way:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Yendorb again.

I agree. I actually tried to preserve the idea of the separated letters, and part of my inspiration came from the original model of Disneyland where the word, "Disneyland", was spelled in the parterre, itself.

One of the challenges is how the sign should be lit, so the "popcorn lights" seemed like a natural idea, especially if they are animated to create a glittering effect akin to that found in the signage at The Mirage and Golden Nugget properties in Las Vegas, for example.

• 6 kids before I'm 30!!!!

well neither DL or DCa has a "sign" in the front of the gates. Maybe they should put a sign but im not sure how large it can be with the monorail beam there and on dca the large CA letters. Maybe thats why they didn't ptu large signs out there. Florida can put those signs because they have soooooo much more space and land than Anaheim does.
    We rock the party that rocks the party!
    We are truly a new generation of the Brady Bunch!

• Mousketeer

Frogberto, it's not my website, the blog in my signature is my web presence

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Yendorb
    Frogberto, it's not my website, the blog in my signature is my web presence
    Well you're very talented. Thanks for posting the link with the old Disneyland pictures -- I enjoy those pictures so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    However, the picture Yendorb linked... ahh... ya just can't beat walking toward DL with that big beautiful train station up above, can you? I sure do miss all the gingerbread on the main entrance. This "Irvine Beige" design stuff is so dull. (the current ticket booths, etc.... very plain)
    During the 30th Anniversary, the entrance looked its best. There were calliope pipes situated above the turnstiles and a small "Disneyland" banner sign above each gate.

Clockworks of cogs, wheels, and pulleys added a whimsical touch, and an attendance clock was positioned in the Inner Lobby to award prizes to guests.

Does anyone happen to have pictures of the entrance in 1985, by chance?

• Mousketeer

Don't have pictures, but was that also when they did the "red carpet" entrance way?

This is a shot that I found on-line of the conceptual rendering that shows the "Disneyland" parterre that was was never created.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    During the 30th Anniversary, the entrance looked its best. There were calliope pipes situated above the turnstiles and a small "Disneyland" banner sign above each gate.

Clockworks of cogs, wheels, and pulleys added a whimsical touch, and an attendance clock was positioned in the Inner Lobby to award prizes to guests.

Does anyone happen to have pictures of the entrance in 1985, by chance?
    Hmmm...I have the Disneyland 30th's Anniversary special recently transferred to DVD via a DVD recorder from an old VHS tape. It shows that clockwork thing you speak of. "For thirty years we've been coming together at Disneyland. Disneyland! DISNEYLAND!"

And, here are a few shots from MiceAge that show the lower-profile open-air structures that the newer, mansard-roofed gateway replaced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast