Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I think it's time for a FRONTIERland remake

After recently visiting the Disney Gallery, the land that I want to see "remade", for lack of a better term, is Frontierland. Many of the drawings and paintings in the Gallery show Frontierland originally having unpaved roads-dirt paths. I think they should do that because if you think about the theming, in the old Western towns in frontier America, the roads weren't paved. I can just picture walking into Frontierland from Main Street and walking on dirt paths. The theming of the buildings would definetely fit. Oh, and put much more tall fir trees to get the real feel of the wilderness. I guess it wouldn't be a remake, more like placemaking. I've always found it kind of ironic that Tom Sawyer Island is considered a Frontierland attraction, but the rafts to get there are in New Orleans Square. Why not place the rafts over by the old Mike Fink Keel Boats loading dock, then it would actually make sense.

And while I'm on the subject, Critter Country is supposed to remember the old South of America. If anyone has seen Disney's Song of the South and the environment that the movie takes place in, that's the setting I would like to see in Critter Country: the woodern fences, dirt paths again.

• ROFLCOPTER!

Re: I think it's time for a FRONTIERland remake

As I said in the other thread, dirt paths wouldn't work because of rain creating mud. I do like the idea of having more trees, but from what I've seen most of the frontier looked dry because trees were chopped away. Maybe more on the pathway from fantasyland since that's the more woodsy area? And yes, I almost always miss the rafts because I look for them by the canoes, not in main street.

I think what frontierland really needs is some stuff in back of thunder mountain. Maybe some sort of gun slinging show in the empty arena.

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

I like frontierland just the way it is! God help us if they put in a HOME ON THE RANGE dark ride featuring Rossanne!

• The Fantasyland guy

I like WDW's frontierland. I wish ours was more like theirs.

The Magic Kingdom RR goes through Big Thunder... that was cool!

well technically speaking the rafts for tom sawyer's Island are in frontierland not new orleans square.

The actual frontierland boundaries strech from the main entrance near the hub. The gateway where it meets with Fantasyland and the bottom level walkway all around ROA including ROA, the Mcdonalds fry ODV across from Haunted Mansion and the queue area of the canoes.

New Orleans' bounderies start from the exit of haunted Mansion all the way to Tarzan tree house but does not include the large walkway that surround the ROA.

• Ian The Fox

Seriously, what they need to do is put back themed shopping. It seems like most of the shops in Disneyland carry the exact same merchandise. I want to be able to be western things (and only western things) in Frontierland, futuristic things in Tomorrowland, Disney-fantasy related things in Fantasyland, etc.
    Woof!

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Smile Re: I think it's time for a FRONTIERland remake

I do agree though that other than Big Thunder........ is there another ride????? There is alot of space used up by the seldom used picnic area and the goat play area.

THE TOP TEN THINGS I DON"T WISH TOO SEE IN FRONTIERLAND.

10. "The AppleDumpling Gang and the forbidden Eye"
    9. "The All Woody America Sings Show!"
    8. "Floyd The Bartender -Scissors in Space"
    7. "Honey I shrunk the Sherif but I did not shrink the deputy"
    6. Soaring over Willy Nelson.
    5. Chuck-Wagon-o-topia
    4. The spinning spitoons (think teacups)
    3. A silly goat petty place.
    2. Dick Channey's Shoot you in the face After All.
    1. Micheal Jackson's Wild Ride
    Last edited by Beatle_johnny; 06-07-2006 at 10:30 PM.

• Imagineer in training

I've noticed that the pavement now is very earthy coloured, with animal tracks and wagon ruts in it... plus the odd set of horseshoe prints...a very nice touch!

Perhaps Frontierland needs some work establishing it's time and place upon entry. It's kind of too bad that the DLRR doesn't have a depot in this area. Perhaps a spurline? (non functioning of course) Knott's Berry Farm does well in capturing the old west atmosphere of a western town... Stables, blacksmith, saloon. How can Disney do this better? From this area, we branch out to BTMRR, the Mark Twain Landing, TSI. Critter Country is ideal for capturing the "backwoods" of the American Frontier. Doing some brainstorming, the words "logging", "hunting", "Davy Crockett", "Old Yeller", "bears", "Yellowstone" all come to mind.

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by MooglePower
    Seriously, what they need to do is put back themed shopping. It seems like most of the shops in Disneyland carry the exact same merchandise.
    Yeah, pirates merchandise. I'm kinda disappointed that Pieces of Eight is getting a cave theme. Why would there be a cave shop in New Orleans Square?? AND THEN they're making the old X-mas shop into yet another pirate shop. Pieces of Eight and the courtyard near it is fine for pirates. But put something else in the old X-mas shop. Something that really represents New Orleans.

Sorry, a bit off topic. I think DL originally had dusty floor when it opened, didn't it? But it gets pretty messy, so they went with a concrete themed floor. That's fine. But once you're off the beaten path, return it with dirt floor.

I suggested Western River Expedition, An American Folk Tall Tale attraction, etc. All with more detail in my signature below.

It would be nice to have a real blacksmith and real gold digging in FL. Knotts is kinda getting away from themeing after Cedar Fair bought it.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Basking in birthday love

Frontierland opened with walkways made of authentic dirt. Not sure when that changed, though I could probably dig up the date with some research. (I imagine it was around the mid-60s when they were gearing up for NOS, but that's just a guess.) Concrete seems more practical. Easy to keep clean, won't get guests' shoes dusty or muddy.

My fantasy for the walkways at Disneyland is to have them all made of the rubber stuff that surrounds the giant marble in Tomorrowland. That stuff is totally comfortable to walk on. The opposite of practical, but that is why I said it was a fantasy, after all.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Zero Blockout Dates

Have you actually looked at the ground in Frontierland? You'll notice it's a redish color and has bootprints and horses hoof prints in it. They already did "Disney" old west dirt.

Song of the Southland? Should we should share croppers or slaves picking cotton too? I know a Tar Baby character walking around greeting childrens. Disney has a reason for keeping Song of the South off of DVD.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati
    Have you actually looked at the ground in Frontierland? You'll notice it's a redish color and has bootprints and horses hoof prints in it. They already did "Disney" old west dirt.

Song of the Southland? Should we should share croppers or slaves picking cotton too? I know a Tar Baby character walking around greeting childrens. Disney has a reason for keeping Song of the South off of DVD.
    OMG, somehow I knew someone was going to bring up those "controversial" points from Song of the South. If you had read my original post, I clearly stated that I would want to see Critter Country in the same SETTING-you know, the environment, scenery, how it all looked. I mentioned Song of the South as an example of the enviornment I was picturing. I never mentioned anything about the people or slavery and don't know why you would state such a ludicris post.

• Pull your "Magic" finger?

Frontierland: How about gold panning? "Tile" the walkways with wood or wooden look alike material (recycled rubber tires are being made into cedar looking shingles, why not into lumber looking pathways). How about returning to the Pocahontas film and creating a truly authentic Native American village (similar to what they did in the 50's, but make it fun and educational) Maybe Epcot World Stage-like , with various nations being represented. Other than that I like Frontierland as is.

Critter Country: Have any of you actually watched, or even read Song of the South or Uncle Remus stories? To my friends below the 49th, I'm sorry: slavery happened. You are not unique in the history of the world to have had slaves. It was absolutely wrong, and most situations were terrible by today's standards. HOWEVER, the stories are NOT about slaves, and the subjection of the Southern Negro.

The stories are about people, (anthropomorphisized or not) and learning to identify traits of people (as reflected in animal behaviors). The essential trait of Song of the South is to "learn from the fable, to use your mind to overcome adversity, rather than force; and to celebrate the wonder and beauty of the world around us." You would think that in today's climate, this message is needed more than ever.

BTW, Br'er Fox and Br'er B'ar still wander the park, as far as I know. I have a photo of the two of them dumping a box of popcorn on my Mom back in early 70's.

We need Laughing Places, like DL more today than we ever did before.

• Minion FOREVER!

There are couple of surfaces that look like dirt but is not "dirty". For example,
    there are several track surfaces (not rubbery like the ones around the marble
    in TL). Also there are sand like surfaces as well (like the stuff on the pathways in
    TSI).

There are several wood-like synthetic substances (like Trex) which I'm sure Disney
    could get specially molded which can make the boardwalk hold up better.
    (In fact they should rebuild Fort Wilderness with this!! But that's another topic...)

As for rides, Frontierland actually claims Mark Twain, Columbia and Canoes.

I would love to see WRE though... :-)

^Thank you! I don't get why when Song of the South is mentioned, people automatically think about racism and slavery, which leads me to believe a lot of people have not seen the film. It was NEVER the intention of Walt Disney to promote slavery and racism when he made the film. For goodness sakes people, the movie was made in 1946! The setting of the movie was in the late 1800s, when plantations were very common in the South. But again, that's NOT what the movie is about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast