Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New land idea

New land idea

Okay, this is going to be a long post...

With all these rumors of a Frontierland expansion coming in the future with a Woody theme. Well, If Disney is looking for a way to have a nice transition between Frontierland and Fantasyland, they don't necessarily need to use a cartoon character.

I was thinking of the overall theme of Disneyland, which of course is America. Adventureland is America's sence of andventure. Frontierland celebrates the American frontier. Etc... Well, my idea for the land between Frontierland and Fantasyland would be a little more darker than others, and would make those who have always wished for a villains land a little happy.

This new land would celebrate America's facination with the darker side of human nature, which intrigued many famous works of American literature. The land, called Raven Bay, would be mainly themed around the works of such writers as Edgar Allen Poe, Washington Irving, Herman Melville, and Nathanal Hawthorn and would consist of a few rides, shops and dining.

There would be two entrances, one, in Fantasyland near the entrance to the old Skyway, and the other right past Big Thunder, near the fry wagon. The Fantasyland side entrance would be a rod iron gate, similar to a cemetary gate, with Gothic writing of Raven Bay written on it. On top would be an AA raven starring malliciously down at the passing guests. Past the gate would be some knarled looking trees and a small cemetary with names of famous 19th century gothic writing. One, Edgar Allen Poe's, would have a small effect, where you hear his heartbeat rising from the soil. Next to his grave would be one for Lenore.

Further in would be the makings of a small 19th century New England town. Through the town would be various shops similar to what used to be in New Orleans Square. In one window of a very small shop would be a monkey's paw standing upright on a cushion. Every once in a while a finger on the paw would curl in until the fist is closed, finally opening back up creepily. Another store would be villains/Nightmare Before Christmas store.

One of the restaurants would be called "The Black Cat" and would be a sit down/buffeteria restaraunt in a dimly lit, ghostly restaurant. There would be another restaurant by the edge of the Rivers of America. This section would be themed to a whaling port with homages to Moby Dick. The restaurant here would serve sea food and be a new Blue Bayou.

And now for the attractions...

I only have one attraction down completely. There will be no cheap carnival type rides. The major draw of the land would be a ride themed to "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow". This however, would not be themed to the cartoon, but more closely to the Tim Burton film.

Entering through a barn, riders would get into horse drawn carriages. These would be EMV type vehicles that would be "pulled" by an AA horse that would react to its surroundings. The ride would pass through the town of Sleepy Hollow, passing a Halloween Party going on inside one of the buildings. The riders then pass an AA Ichabod Crane on a horse, who says weird things have been going on outside of town inside the forest. He warns the riders to turn back, but they plunge on. They pass through the forest, encounter the Headless Horseman, and now must escape from him. After many scary close calls (The headless Horseman lands on the carriage and is about to attack when he is bucked off) and thrilling special effects, the riders finally make it past the bridge and into safety.

Although I am not quite sure I know what the other rides would be I would like to see a family friendly dark ride d-ticket and one c-ticket.

Well, thats my idea. What do you think?

• Minion

Tis pretty sweet.

That would be so Goth. Love it!

We could subtitle it the "Tragic Kingdom" :-)
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

(sorry about last post-misread)

I like the idea. However I though Disneyland was more of a theme of the entire world? Hence why we have a jungle area, Europe, etc and of course It's a Small World centered in the back.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Great ideas there, I really like it.

One note however; Tim Burtons version of Sleepy Hollow was, believe it or not, much further away from the original story then the cartoon....instead of copying either one of those, how about using the actual Washington Irving story as a model?
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Inappropriate

Wow... that is flippin sweet! But...i don't think that area has the luxory of space. Which really stinks because your idea is so awesome it...it...it's awesome! And it's awesoem for different reasons: 1. There's no real cartoon/movie tie-in. It's all based on old stories like what Walt did. (Tom Sawyer's island.) 2. Like yuo said, it kind of goes the way of a Villains area, just not quite. Still dark and spooky though. and 3: SPeaking dark and spooky, that path from Fantasyland to Frontierland is dark and spooky at night. It'd be the perfect setting You rock man!

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff
    Great ideas there, I really like it.

One note however; Tim Burtons version of Sleepy Hollow was, believe it or not, much further away from the original story then the cartoon....instead of copying either one of those, how about using the actual Washington Irving story as a model?
    Oh, I know that the Tim Burton version was really nothing like the actual story. I meant, when saying to have it based moreso on the Tim Birton film over the Disney cartoon, to have it have the scares from the film and not use any cartoon characters. There would be no tree of the dead in this ride.

• LoisAlene

I love the literary references! A Sleepy Hollow ride could be done in the way you've suggested - my only reservation is it's similarity to the Haunted Mansion.
    I do like the obvious care you took in thinking this up! I've found it's a lot harder to imagineer a ride than it looks.
    As for lack of space, can't they go Down instead of out? It works for PoC and HM.
    There has been much clamoring for a good Villians themed ride. How sweet it would be to have a mini-land for them instead.

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• CM for 4 years!

I think we get enough of the "goth" type guests in with Haunted Mansion Holiday, and I don't find 4+ facial piercings and artificial hair colors and mohawks very giving to the family environment that I love so much about Disney.

Although it's a great idea... I just don't feel that it fits.

Plus how could an AA horse pull a cart? o.O

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    Plus how could an AA horse pull a cart? o.O
    Easy, they could put the AA and the ride vehicle on a platform. The whole platform would move, and the AA would just appear to be walking.
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Flint
    Easy, they could put the AA and the ride vehicle on a platform. The whole platform would move, and the AA would just appear to be walking.
    That pretty much sums it up.

• LoisAlene

The only real flaw in the plan is AA units are Expensive, not to mention prone to breakdown. HM has 130 Doom Buggies. Can you imagine how hard it would be to keep 130 AA horses working properly?
    I love AA, but I really think you could get a kickbutt ride if you did it in the style of Universal's Spiderman 3D. You could have all the motion and interactive moments you've outlined. The 3D effects would really provide much more sense of motion. It would be so very creepy to have your 'horse' disappear on you - of course it was nothing but a projection in the first place.
    Hey, CM Matt - how about some Big bucks for a Good new land?

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

I dunno the only way I can see massive new lands added to Disneyland would be if they could somehow increase the capacity of mainstreet USA (aka more people can walk up and down it without getting trampled)

the best way to do that would be to do a heart bypass type technique

which would require yet another new land

<takes turn at armchair imagineering> I always enjoyed Liberty Square at WDW, and have always thought that the huge parcel of land north of Big Thunder would be a great place for a similar area at Disneyland.... right along the banks of the Rivers of America. It would give the Columbia a suitable place to dock. Also, my favorite Disney attraction has alwasy been the American Adventure, and this could be an excellent addition to this land.

You mention a Sleepy Hollow attraction, which I believe was one fo the original darkrides planned for WDW's Fantasyland before they decided to go with SNow, Toad, and Pan. There used to be rides in various themeparks that used a round "tub" type of boat in a small world type canal. There used to be one at a Six Flags called "Time Tubs" and another at Kings Island called Gulliver's Rub-a-dubs. They looked lika like a half barrel and had circular seating (Imagine a floating teacup). I think this is the original type of vehical that was proposed for Pooh at Disneyland... round honeypots that floated in a flume. I think these barrel looking tubs would be great for a Sleepy Hollow attraction. Of course, I wouldn't mind at all the ride being based on the Disney animated version ;-)

Cris

i would like to see a sleppy hollow type dark ride useing the steaple chase ride system, it is very similar to the knotts berry farm soap box racers. they are horse you mount on and they would have a slow climb through the begining of the ride taking you by the halloween dance and the entrance to the woods.lotts of eirie sound effects and eyes starting at you through the trees, as you venture into the darker areas you would see ichabod and his horse laghing infront of the log that was making the hoof noises( from the movie). and then out of nowhere the horseman would apear and that ride system would alow you to out of nowhere dip into a curve and start speeding up throughout a forest. the horseman would pop out from every corner and his head would always appear on fire. may be even a part where the horseman catches up with you and he rides side to side with you so you can look into his empty neck area while he is holdin his head and laughing in his off arm, still appearing on fire. this ride would also have a part were it looks like you are going to escape but at the last second your horse turns away from the bridge. even have a part where your horse cuts through a river and have water splash to the sides.
    2 riders at a time hight restriction will probably be 42 inches. about a 4 minute dark ride.
    Last edited by felixthequick; 04-15-2005 at 11:07 AM. Reason: punc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast