Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Got an AP? Share your pos/neg stories of having one.

So I just upgraded my AP to a PAP from Deluxe. I figure eh, for an extra $70 it'll be worth it, plus I have a few Saturday "dates" coming up when I'll use it. The extra discounts never hurt either

One of the most positive things about having the AP I had in the year since I bought it was that it allowed me to meet some amazing people from MiceChat that I truly love hanging out with. Getting another AP for another year will only strengthen my friendships with these peeps and hopefully I'll meet more new people as well to keep the friendship ball rolling.

Something else I have a little more tolerance for are lines, and there's been plenty of long ones what with the 50th and Spaces re-opening etc. It helps when you have a gaggle of people to converse with that's for sure, but I seem to be a little less bothered with lines of people waiting for attractions or food or whatever. It is what it is, right? Make the best of it and deal.

One of the negatives I've discovered in myself is that I have less tolerance for tourists. And really, it's stupid of me to feel this way I know, because tourists are the bread and butter that make up the Disneyland experience. Especially first timers who become enchanted with the "Disney" way of doing things. I need to remember that as I walk behind a hoard of out of towners trying to find their way from NOS to Tomorrowland, stopping willy nilly in front of me looking at their maps. Have a little patience ONUT!!

What are all you APer's positive and negative experiences with having an annual passport?

• Minion

Re: Got an AP? Share your pos/neg stories of having one.

My positive experiances are that I enjoy casually walking about the park, stopping in the shops, checking out the Disney Gallery, taking the time to see every exhibit in the Main Street Opera House (where the 50th anniversary displays are). There is no rush to go on attractions. In fact, most of the times I will get on one or two attractions during my visit. I also enjoy people watching from any bench.

Negative aspects? I see alot of negative trends happening within the park itself more than when I used to visit only once a year. You tend to be oblivious to minor changes when you aren't there once a week. Now I tend to notice lack of maintenance issues, CM issues etc...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

Yah .... what he said ...

I've had my pass for about five years.

The things I love about my pass:
    1. I can go to the park on a whim.
    2. I can stay 2 hours and leave and not feel ripped off.
    3. If a line is too long, I skip it and come back another time. (Unless I have someone with me who does not have a pass)
    4. The discounts.
    5. Eventually meeting up with some nice board folks and hanging out.
    6. If I've had a really bad day, I drive to the park , buy a cherry coke at Coke Corner )or whatever it's called these days) and sit on Main Street, watching the people go by.... or I go watch Billy Hill. It always improves my mood!

The negatives:
    1. Less tolerance for people.
    2. It allows me too much access to Jewel of Orleans which gets me in trouble.
    Last edited by IndianaJenn; 06-08-2006 at 10:35 AM. Reason: spelling
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

• Hooterville, USA

The AP takes the urgency out of your day.
    That's why AP'ers see more little things at the park.
    The only negative I see is that they are priced too cheap!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• POTC Fan!

Positive Things:

I love being able to go to the park when I want, even switching back from DCA to Disneyland knowing its all prepaid.

I love having dinner and watching the parades.

I love having a place to take my kids to that is already prepaid for so just staying for a couple hours isn't a big deal, we usually shop or watch a movie at Downtown Disney.

I love going on the good days, not holidays or during the summer when the line waits are only a few minutes.

I love the holidays, transformation of the Nightmare Before Christmas during Christmas, the decorations at Christmas and the little extra's we find out about before the tourists do.

I love pin trading exclusives and just being close enough to Disney to drop by whenever I have time. Thank God for the discounts and Free Parking, plus the little things like passholder exclusives.

Negative Things:

Not enough notice on the website for things like the last day to use your 2fer pass, closes the park at capacity when we didn't plan ahead.

Not enough exclusive events for AP's.

Not being able to purchase tickets for friends during the summer at a discount. As far as I know they have to be used before June 15th.

Crowds during the summer and during your traditional holidays, like Christmas and Spring vacation.

• Zero Blockout Dates

We love our PAPs. Can go when we want and there's zero stress. Miss something, oh well , we'll hit it next time. They've allowed us to fall in love with DCA as a park I might not have gone anywhere near if I had to pay a double admission. Now I love the place.

The only bad experiences I've ever had regarding the PAPs have ALL been here on MiceChat. Annual Passes are definatly some folks hot button.

But I've never been treated rudely by ANY CM that I'm aware of in either park because I had a PAP and used it for a discount. Love them and will continue to buy 'em as long as Disney sells 'em.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

It's been a while, but I have great memories of having an AP.

- I used to drive down and go to the Neon Cactus to watch football, then come in the park to watch the parade or ride attractions for a couple of hours.

- If it was a bad day at work, I could hit Disneyland for a little bit after work and always feel better.

- When they had the trading cards for the 40th anniversary, on a couple of occasions, I went in the park, got my cards and went to do other things. Never would have paid admission price to do that!!

I found I actually had less tolerance for lines. Space Mountain has a line over an hour? I'll come back and get on it next time.

Can't think of an overall downside to it though.

I had one at Disney World for a few years too, and that was nice to be able to be there on a business trip and just walk in to ride a few attractions. Plus they had great AP discounted rates. And I could eat at good Disney restaurants and expense the meals out. One of my favorite memories was meeting two co-workers on their vacation, while I was on the last day of my business trip. We got lunch at the ABC Commissary, and after they paid, I reminded them that my lunch was being picked up by our company, but not theirs!

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

I love my PAP, and can't even imagine not having one

Positives:
    - I can go whenever I want
    - I don't have that feeling of urgency to get on every (or even any) rides
    - Discount on food and merchandise (when I remember to show my pass )
    - Don't have to worry about parking fees
    - I can go from park to park all day/night
    - Best part, I get to go to MiceChat meets all the time!

Negatives:
    - I can go whenever I want (and therefore don't get housework or errands done )
    - I have that urgency to always go since it really doesn't cost me anything (and I have to get my money's worth out of my DAP )
    - I buy more souveniers since I have a discount and MUST take advantage of it.
    Last edited by Villains Fan; 06-08-2006 at 06:56 PM.

• Oh my Goodness!

I love my PAP

Positive:
    I can go when I want and not worry if I can afford it right then
    I have gained an appreation for the 'little' things in the park that I didn't notice before I started going more often
    Free Parking is Nice
    Have gotten to be friends w/ a few CMs who I see on a regular basis when I am down there
    I can go watch Fireworks or Fantasmic and go home and not feel guilty
    I can just get a Mint Julep and peope watch all day if I want to and don't feel like i'm wasting money

Negitive:
    I spend more money on food and such because I have a discount...forgetting it adds up eventually
    I go to DLR when I should be doing other things
    Some people think I'm overly and unhealthaly obsessed (i'm obsessed, but it's not a bad thing is it??)

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

I've had an AP for about 11 years; any brief lapses that happen between passes is like a heroin withdrawal.

Positives:
    - Ability to go at almost any time (its still a bit of a drive).

- Having an AP turns DLR from a "theme park" to a park by removing the rushed stress of trying to "get your money's worth". It allows you to take your time to appreciate the little things, including such "little things" as just dropping by for a couple of hours for a quick ride or a meal when in the neighborhood.

- Never having to worry about parking.

- Respectable discounts on food and merchandise.

Negatives:
    - Respectable discounts on food and merchandise. (I spend WAY more money there than I would if I just went once a year paying full admission each time).

When I was a kid my grandparents had a house on Catalina Island, so I grew up with crowds of tourists. Long lines for rides and food?? Hey, what do you expect; it comes with the territory.

I've been able to calm down and discover areas of the park that I never knew existed before I had an AP. I do a lot more shopping and I don't mind spending money on souvenirs and food since I feel as though I didn't pay to get in, so what the heck. I've tried restaurants that I never tried before because again, that whole "I got in free" feeling. It's so nice to be able to take our time.

My husband is now more willing to go to the park since he knows that if the crowds are horrible we can leave. It is still hard for me to leave after only a few hours, but I'm getting better. He used to work at Disneyland in the 70s and got pretty burnt out on the place. I have always loved it and insisted we make a once a year visit, but it was like pulling teeth to get him to go. He has now rediscovered his enthusiasm for the place. Sometimes we just walk around and check out the baby ducks and the koi over by thunder mountain.

I can't think of any negatives. My one wish when I was little was to be able to go to Disneyland any time I wanted, and now I can.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Positives

- Not having that rushed feeling that we MUST do everything today! Its so great to be able to tell my daughter, "eh, we can go on Autopia next week, right?"

- Being able to go to the park for a few hours, especially after work on a Friday to unwind. Much better than a drink IMO.

- Feeling so "in tune" with the park and what's going on that it becomes your own personal sanctuary when times get rough. I've run there many occasions when I felt like burying my head and crying. One viewing of the 50th movie, or the Tiki Room and all my worries are GONE.

Negatives

- My daughter wondering why we don't go EVERY weekend.

- The way some people look down on all AP'ers as "p*******s".

- Along that line, being lumped in the same group with the pin obessesed, lanyard wearing, or self absorbed AP types. No offense to my friends who like pins or wear lanyards.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Forgot one negative....

The giant sucking noise in my purse when it comes time to renew!!! But its always well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

A few have mentioned one plus being that you can enjoy the other attractions, or areas of the park, that you might not get to if you went once a year. Like riding the Mark Twain. Or chilling out with Mr Lincoln. Or sitting in NOS watching the people walk by. This is one HUGE plus for me because I like all the little "side attractions" (and yes I consider people watching an attraction, have ya seen what some people wear? )

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Positive:
    1. Can go whenever I want. Well almost, I have a Deluxe, so I do have block out dates. But then again, who wants to go on a Saturday?!
    2. I'm never rushed to ride an attraction or see something in one day.
    3. Going to eat some Bengal BBQ or Plaza Inn pasta and watching Remember... and feel like I did a lot.
    4. Appreciating and noticing the little stuff. Every time I go now, I talk with my mom about the new flowers all over the park.
    5. Discounts for food and free parking.
    6. Being able to be a "tour guide" to family from out-of-town visiting or to friends who don't go to Disneyland as often as I do.
    7. People watching!
    8. Spending time in DCA to ride the few good attractions.

Negative:
    1. Get irritated by the tourists and strollers
    2. Don't want to wait in long lines
    3. Spending money almost every time I go on shirts, stuffed animals, purses, etc.

As you can see, the good outweigh the bad hands down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast