Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Abbreviated Fireworks

I went to DL tonight to meet up with my mom who was on a trip there with some people from work. We knew it was closing early (9pm) due to Grad Night. There were also signs and flyers informing us that the tram would be closing at 9:30 pm. Standard stuff.

However, the fireworks were still scheduled tonight for 8:45pm. Since my mom has only seen them once before, we decided to stay to watch. Everything was going fine until the end of the Star Tours segment. The music played til the end of that part, but no lasers, no fireworks. The lights stayed dim, but nothing....

Everyone was looking around, including the crowd control CM's. They kind of shrugged their shoulders & started waving everyone to the exit. All the lights were still off on Main St. with no music playing. I guess they were really sticking to that 9 pm closing time.

Now, I'm not upset because I can see the show anytime. However, I think it was really bad show to just let the fireworks end like that. I think it would have been better to either schedule them 5 to 10 minutes earlier to ensure a complete ending or not show them at all.

Any thoughts?
    <o>

• Dumptruck of Information

Re: Abbreviated Fireworks

Could have been a technical glitch that stopped it soon. Doesn't sound like a normal ending if it caught the CM's by surprise. And if the fireworks were shortened, one would think that signs/announcements would have been made. We can all speculate until we are blue in the face here, but we may never know, unless one was overseeing the fireworks controls.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Wow... Yeah, that's odd. I wonder if there was a show-stop, or if they really DID end them promptly at 9:00. If so... how rude.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

Wow, weird, strange and quite different way to end them midstream. As a fan of Disney, I would be with you, not upset (even though I can't see them everynight) since they did say closing at 9, but probably more shocked that they would handle it that way without the courtesy of informing the guests prior, let alone the CM's that would have to take flak from people that just couldn't understand. Hopefully someone will report it was just a mistake and it didn't happen the way they planned. Glad to hear there are more people like you in the world that keep their chin up when things do happen as expected.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I'm thinking if the music kept playing through the end of the show, but there were no lasers or fireworks or proper lighting then something went wrong.
    Also, since the CMs were looking around confused, it's apparent that this isn't something that's been the norm during Grad Nites. I'm thinking that there were some technical difficulties.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Wonderful World

I'm suprised they did'nt make a annoucment or something.Odd
    I'm back MiceChat

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

How strange to just end it like that. But, what's even more strange is to not turn on the Main St lights...had to be a serious glitch!

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    I'm thinking if the music kept playing through the end of the show, but there were no lasers or fireworks or proper lighting then something went wrong.
    The music only played to the end of the Star Tours section.

Also, I forgot to mention that by the time we had figured it wasn't going to continue, listened in on some guest & CM conversations & walked out to the gates, there was an announcement made. I think it just said, "Due to unforseen circumstances, the fireworks will not continue." I figured it was just a "stock" announcement, and they weren't going to say, "Due to Grad Night, we're cutting it short tonight. Don't be mad at us; blame the teenagers." But I guess there could have been a glitch. Now that I think about it more, I hope it wasn't a major accident or something.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not mad. Just wondering...
    <o>

• Shubisha

Is it possible it's a programming glitch? did that part coincide with 9:00? perhaps some programming that takes over the PA and announces the park is closing clashed with the fireworks show and it crashed the whole thing down. is this the first time they've had early closing with fireworks and grad night?(last time i went it had grad night but it wasn't summer schedule yet so no fireworks) might have been overlooked

• Disneyland Cast Member

There was a problem with Tink's flight system. The call went out on the radio network.

That actually makes sense as a possible cause for the glitch. The end of the Star Tours segment is at 15:25 into the show, which would be approximately 9:00 pm. The finale is after the Star Tours segment anyway, so they probably intended to let Remember finish and go into a hard close.

I was over by Plaza Gardens when it happened. Right after the music ended, you could see Tink's skilift making its way back up the mountain.

Was kinda interesting to see.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    Also, since the CMs were looking around confused, it's apparent that this isn't something that's been the norm during Grad Nites. I'm thinking that there were some technical difficulties.
    Yeah, I agree with MG. Probably was a bad glitch.

I remember when I went on the 12th of May, the fireworks during Walt's speech didn't go off.

I'm assuming Remember is a very complicated show to do with all the pyros and whatnot going off.

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by Bornieo Goes Bananas
    I was over by Plaza Gardens when it happened. Right after the music ended, you could see Tink's skilift making its way back up the mountain.
    was tink on it still?

Quote Originally Posted by Disnerd
    There was a problem with Tink's flight system. The call went out on the radio network.
    Interesting. I understand why they have safety shut offs for while she's over the pyro.. but stopping the whole show when she's already in her hut seems kinda weird.. from the sound of Bornieo, they had control over it at least and could bring her in and then let the behind-smallworld blasts still go at least with the music. And even if they can't bring her in don't they usually just do those big behind-smallworld blasts anyways?

No. Tink wasn't on it. I think it was a failsafe because I did see several baloons go up, even during the show and the "smoke" was moving quite a bit around the hub.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast