Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Re: WARNING --- 2007, SPRING, No outside food, strollers or WATER brought into the park!

Quote Originally Posted by JulieNMM
    Uh, do any of you people have small kids? I have 2 small kids and often visit DL without any other adult and I have tried before and it is pretty much impossible to push 2 single strollers at the same time.
    I have no children. But I have a an old friend who lives up in Portland who has a small child, and she and her husband wanted to go to Disneyland with me last year. Imagine my surprise when we unloaded from the car in the parking lot and there was no stroller. I asked if we needed to rent a stroller at the main gate and the response was...

"Oh, we don't use a stroller. We like to have Myles walk as much as he can. It's much healthier for children to walk. If he gets tired or a bit cranky, we'll carry him for a few minutes, but then he walks again."

And sure enough, we spent a 9 hour day at Disneyland with a four year old without a stroller. He walked 90% of the day, and was happy as a clam.

Ever look at those old pictures of Disneyland from the 1950's and 60's? Notice anything? No strollers.

Children used to walk around big amusement parks. Some children still do.

• xmanmom

Re: WARNING --- 2007, SPRING, No outside food, strollers or WATER brought into the park!

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000
    Exactly the point I was trying to make above, only you said it better!

That's great for 2-parent families with one kid. But I want to have a handy, convenient place to keep all my stuff and a place for my kids to rest when they get tired. I can't hold one of them for more than 2 minutes and I have 2!

I would be a tired stressed out parent if I had to go in with no stroller! I find NOT having a stroller being very inconvenient and THAT would make me a harried, tired, cranky mother!!! And the only time having a stroller is a pain is when you want to go on the tram, train, or a bus. So we generally avoid those (we stay offsite across the street so don't need a tram or bus) and if we go on the train, we do a full circle. Almost everywhere else there are stroller parking zones.

And BTW, my double stroller was a front/back not one of those double-wides. Those things are obnoxiously wide! Mine wasn't much bigger than a regular normal-sized stroller.

The kids and I are going for 5 days in July and I've given away the stroller so it's time for us to test out the no stroller thing. If it doesn't work, we'll rent one.

JULIE (who is just stating what works for me! )

• Earth Intruder

Re: WARNING --- 2007, SPRING, No outside food, strollers or WATER brought into the pa

Disneyland can certainly ban food, drinks, or large pieces of equipment (huge SUV strollers) from being brought into the Park.
    Certainly, if they were running the park in extreme "penny wise pound foolish" mode. (they can certainly charge $500 for a ticket too, but it isn't in their best interests to do so). Come on, even Paul Pressler didn't try to get extra revenue from banning strollers, all food and water. And there are people who simply could not manage two kids without strollers.

I agree that complete meals should not be brought into the park. Someone mentioned that you should not expect stadiums to allow coolers with beer into their facilities. But what we are talking about here are snacks and drinks that you're going to have throughout the day (as opposed to a 2-3 hour ball game). Plus what if you buy a coke in the park from ODV, you aren't allowed to leave and re-enter the park until you finish your soda?

Not only would guest comfort level be incredibly low, I don't think DL HAS enough strollers for every child that needs one... Cranky children, pissed off parents, people dropping like flies, cats and dogs, living together.... mass hysteria!
    Last edited by Chernabog; 06-09-2006 at 10:19 AM.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

There is absolutely ZERO reason to bring meals into the park. You can rent a locker and put your meal in there, eat it beforehand in the picnic area, leave it in your car and tailgate or bring it back to eat at the picnic area. You can go to the numerous restaurants around DL or back to your hotel.

I can't believe they'd ban strollers and make you rent theirs. I just can't believe it.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

I'd be more inclined to pay the high prices for DL food if so much of their food didn't S U C K ! Use better ingredients in the food, make it actually palatable and I'll be happy to stop carting in sandwiches.

• Life is Great!

when we were expecting child #2, we went looking at double strollers(Max was only 2.5 when Belle was born) I purposely picked out a front and back double that is narrow and not too long. we tried out many different ones in the store. I made my choice mainly for visiting theme parks because that is something we like to do often. Also since my hubby travels for work a lot, I am often by myself with the kids and I like to go to the parks whenever I can, without the double i couldnt do it.
    {:
    MCDA - A Healthier, Happier Me!

Blog Entries

First of all, I think this is ridiculous and unless they thoroughly inspect every bag, people will still easily be able to sneak in their own food and water.

I just spoke with my co-worker who is also a nurse, has a diabetic daughter and is a Certified Diabetic Educator and she and I were wondering why diabetics and/or hypoglycemics need to be able to bring in water? We understand about them having maybe 1 or 2 small snacks for the rare emergency situation, but that would be something very small and simple and you really do not need water. Also, wouldn't you get out of line to get something to eat if you were doing that bad? Losing your spot in line would be worth it if you were slipping into a hypoglycemic state.

This also could turn into a situation similar to that of the Guest Assistance Card, where people ruin it for those that really need it by trying to cheat the system.

• insufferable know-it-all

What if the line you were in was at the churro cart?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by JulieNMM
    Unfortunately, DLR does not offer double strollers. This didn't bother me until last year when I finally gave ours away. The only time I ever used it was at DLR and I loved that it was huge. You could pack so much stuff into it, including extra sweaters, purse, camera bag, toys for kids, things you brought, extra water bottles, etc.

Try carrying a 50 pound kid around. Now trying carrying 2. Now try carrying 2 kids and all the stuff you bought, plus your purse, sweaters, water bottles, camera, etc. NOT gonna happen!!
    I thought strollers are supposed to only carry one thing: children. I doubt they were created to be portable lockers. That is why Disneyland has lockers in different places around the park! You bring extra stuff, you stick it in there! Why would you honestly bring toys into Disneyland? Aren't the kids going to have enough fun being at "The Happiest Place on Earth"? My parents never let me or my brothers bring toys anywhere. They stayed at home, as they should. That's why all these strollers keep getting bigger and bigger and bigger every year. People nowadays don't like to keep things minimal, they have to carry everything with them. All they need is the dishwasher and a television in their stroller and they're set.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

BINGO! That sums it all up perfectly.

It would be entirely reasonable for a private business to monitor and restrict the types of food and equipment a customer brings in and uses on their private property.

Disneyland can certainly ban food, drinks, or large pieces of equipment (huge SUV strollers) from being brought into the Park.
    They COULD, but I bet that they won't want to ban snacks, water or double strollers...or they will ultimately pay for it in attendance...which shouldl make some of you very happy. In either case, there would be no way to police against small snacks unless we want the security lines to get muuuuuch longer.

The comparison to a ball park in terms of both being private businesses is a good one, but doesn't work as well when you are looking at the amount of time you are there. Unless you go into extra innings, you are pretty much looking at 3 to 3.5 hours in a ballpark. With Disneyland, you're looking at an all day event...most of the time.

I DO agree, however, with the poster who objected to the side by side strollers. PARENTS....what exactly is the POINT of these?? When MY kids were in a stroller, the LAST thing I wanted is for those two little maniacs to be sitting SIDE BY SIDE!! WHAT WHERE THEY THINKING? And how do you maneuver these things? Our double stroller was front and back, and seemed to work fine.

Ever look at those old pictures of Disneyland from the 1950's and 60's? Notice anything? No strollers.
    But WHY was this? I'm thinking strollers in the 50's and early 60's didn't fold down into the back of the family buick. So....you left your little ones at home? I think 3 and 4 year old kids were just as cranky in the 50's, so something doesn't add up here. Maybe it's the hormones in milk...

As one poster pointed out, DL does not even rent double strollers so I don't see how they could not allow them in if they have no alternative solution. I luckily have not had to use a stroller now for quite a few years but found them very helpful when my son was much younger. But the whole stroller issue has been debated ad nausium across all Disney discussion boards so I will leave it at that!

As far as food and water, we do bring in snacks, water and, yes, sandwiches. Quite frankly, the largest motivating factor in the sandwiches is eating something that is healthier than most of what they sell in the park - not just avoiding the lines and the high prices! Of course, after eating said healthy lunch, we feel justified in eating few churros, popcorn, etc.... Believe me, even bringing in food and water, we still spend a lot of money inside the park!
    EM EYE SEE KAY EE WHY EM OH YOU ES EE

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    What if the line you were in was at the churro cart?
    That's when you yell, "I have diabetes!", run to the front of the line, grab as many churros as you can and stuff them in your mouth.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626
    People nowadays don't like to keep things minimal, they have to carry everything with them.
    Actually, you just described my camping set-up!! Portable queen size bed frame with air mattress, comforter, sheets, bedside table, table lamp, inflatable 3-piece sofa/chair set, all in a 9-person cabin tent that "sleeps 2".

Oh, and I forgot to mention my solar-powered landscape lanterns, "welcome" mat and "flock" of six lawn flamingos.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    I've always felt that strollers shouldn't be brought in and that Disney should only allow X amount of strollers based on how many guests are in attendance. They should charge a premium to rent them too... Disneyland is just too small for people to have such large strollers.

I worked at a children's day camp for two years and for one summer I worked with little 5 year olds. I had at least 6 of them on trips to Knott's and Disneyland. I didn't need a stroller then so complaining about two kids is not going to fly with me.

If you reply keep it civil!

Since when should a childrens park, not cater to children? Kids get tired easily and what parent would spend money on a stroller rental if they have one already? So you worked with 5 year olds. 5 year olds don't need strollers!!!! Obviously you have no children. If you don't like going where kids are, don't go to Disneyland!

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast