Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Blog Entries

Re: WARNING --- 2007, SPRING, No outside food, strollers or WATER brought into the pa

Quote Originally Posted by A Disney Dreamer
    No one, and I mean NO ONE, should have to be forced to PAY for water - its $2.75! If you have a family a four, and they ALL want water, that right there is eleven bucks.

If water was like $1.50 - than that is a bit more reasonable, but $2.75 is utterly ridiculous (especially for the teenage and college level people).

And drinking fountains? You know how FILTHY those are? Kids put their mouths on them, they cough on them, and some even spit in them. Hundreds use them daily - they are just a calling to get you sick.

Most people HATE using them, and I am one of those people. I rather get ripped off and waste $2.75 on a 16 ounce bottle of regular water.
    What if they gave free water at the CS places then from a machine? I think that would be a fair compromise.

I would also rather drink from a water fountain than put my hand on a door, handrail, etc. However, as a nurse I do not normally worry about germs such as these as I see them inconsiquential in the big picture and have yet to see strong research support for the horror that is a drinking fountain.

ETA: I do not have kids, but see no problems with strollers and find it crazy that Disney would not allow them unless it was to make money. It doesn't bug me when people ram me with them, when they are in my way walking or when kids kick me form them.

Re: WARNING --- 2007, SPRING, No outside food, strollers or WATER brought into the pa

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff
    For the sake of argument(or to avoid them) lets just call strollers being used by special needs children older than 5 "wheelchairs"....
    Keeping with the OP of this thread, I would then have to argue this with every CM from the security tent to the turnstyle since my sons are in a stroller (not a wheelchair). So would other parents. Eventually every parent who wants to bring their older child in a stroller would be using this as an excuse. It doesn't fly, sorry.

• xmanmom

Re: WARNING --- 2007, SPRING, No outside food, strollers or WATER brought into the park!

Quote Originally Posted by nursemelis374

2. I did say that maybe you could bring a few small snacks to get you through those few times that when you are in a hypoglycemic state. I just read some of this thread to the nurses on our diabetic care unit (3 of which have diabetes) as well as an endocrinologist and they said that you would have a hard time proving something like this in court as you should be able to control your diabetes well enough to prevent thise sugar lows and that more importantly, with 1 or 2 small snacks you would be able to immediately remedy the problem. He actually spoke of a case he was involved in where the patient ws trying to sue a minor league ballpark because they were not allowed to bring in their own food. The ballpark was able to prove that they had many items available that would be appropriate for the patient to eat and even if they were expensive, they still were available and the ballpark got out of it.

I also would assume that you would state in an urgent voice what is going on in order to expedite the process of you getting to food.

3. As for the water, what is wrong with using the drinking fountains or buying water? Or maybe, in order to appease those that only want filtered water, they could make that available in the infirmary for taking medications.
    I never said ANYTHING about bringing whole meals into the park. As a matter of fact, if you go back and look at my original post I said that full meals should not be brought into the park. I was talking about having Zone Bars in my bag in case of emergency or even hard candy for a serious emergency. I personally have my diabetes under very good control, but my mother and many others do not have as good of control and do have sugar lows from time to time.

And yes, you are right that anyone can buy water in the park, which is usually what I would do. But I know others would like to bring a bottle or two with them for cost reasons.

I really do not think that Disney will crack down beyond possibly full-meals, which they have always done and that was my point all along.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by nursemelis374

2. I did say that maybe you could bring a few small snacks to get you through those few times that when you are in a hypoglycemic state. I just read some of this thread to the nurses on our diabetic care unit (3 of which have diabetes) as well as an endocrinologist and they said that you would have a hard time proving something like this in court as you should be able to control your diabetes well enough to prevent thise sugar lows and that more importantly, with 1 or 2 small snacks you would be able to immediately remedy the problem. He actually spoke of a case he was involved in where the patient ws trying to sue a minor league ballpark because they were not allowed to bring in their own food. The ballpark was able to prove that they had many items available that would be appropriate for the patient to eat and even if they were expensive, they still were available and the ballpark got out of it.
    I don't think that ball parks are quite as up on their customer service as Disneyland.

I don't know if the case you were talking about above is in California, but just say for the sake of argument Disney has zero legal liability for not allowing outside food for its diabetic guests. That is still terrible PR. Disneyland is legally allowed to have cast members who insult you, charge $10 for a water bottle, not change light bulbs, not paint, not roll out costume characters, close down every major attraction for no reason, etc. with an "it's private property and we can do anything that we want within the confines of the law" attitude. I'm sure that will go over real well with guests.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Blog Entries

Re: WARNING --- 2007, SPRING, No outside food, strollers or WATER brought into the park!

Quote Originally Posted by lisaboo
    I never said ANYTHING about bringing whole meals into the park. As a matter of fact, if you go back and look at my original post I said that full meals should not be brought into the park. I was talking about having Zone Bars in my bag in case of emergency or even hard candy for a serious emergency. I personally have my diabetes under very good control, but my mother and many others do not have as good of control and do have sugar lows from time to time.

And yes, you are right that anyone can buy water in the park, which is usually what I would do. But I know others would like to bring a bottle or two with them for cost reasons.

I really do not think that Disney will crack down beyond possibly full-meals, which they have always done and that was my point all along.
    First, congratulations on having your diabetes under control! That's a huge accomplishment!

I did not imply that you were talking about bringing entire meals into the park, which I think many would agree would not be acceptable. Thanks for the capitals though to notice it. I just think it is important to look at the many different ways people interpret rules (well, rumors) and while you follow the rules and take the appropriate snacks in, some do not. I can't imagine someone arguing against small candy to fight hypoglycemic times.

Chernabog - I do not know if the case was in California, we are in California now, but he did not specify the location of said case.

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog
    I'm sure that will go over real well with guests.
    It used to though. Disneyland used to enforce the "no outside food" rule, and they also had a dress code. They also used to kick people out for line-cutting and destructive behaviors, but that stopped also. Nowadays, it's become perfectly acceptable by Disneyland for a person in a bikini top to walk around with a sandwich and chips from home, and then line jump without a thing being done.

• Donalds younger brother

If your a diabetic or have another medical condition they have to let you bring in food such as candy or water because being diabetic as I am if I go into a low and dont have sugar to bring it back up I go into a coma. So you can guess the law suits that would happen. So I dont think they can inforce this rule.

• Donalds younger brother

Actually I think califorina has a law where if you have business you must follow the state disibility's act. Dibetics are in this catagory.

• Life is Great!

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff
    A few thoughts:

It's called courtesy water; available anywhere fountain drinks are sold.

For the sake of argument(or to avoid them) lets just call strollers being used by special needs children older than 5 "wheelchairs"....

Who takes up more room in the park annually.....family of 4(with two children in a large suv stroller) who are visiting for 5 days or a couple without children visiting the park 50 to 60 times per year?
    what about a couple with 2 kids in a double stroller who go to the parks 40-50 times a year? and the courtesy water is still tap water, eww!
    {:
    MCDA - A Healthier, Happier Me!

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    I doubt Disney will stop allowing small amounts of snacks and water bottles because of the reasons Morrigoon said. Disney doesnt want to risk lawsuits because they made a diabetic toss their water.

Anyways, keep in mind you can get a free cup of ice water at pretty much any restaurant or food service location with a soda fountain. I do it all the time. The water might not always taste the greatest since it's just tap water, but if it saves $2.75 and I stay hydrated, it's totally worth it.
    i do this as well.. i will bring a few bottles of water to start once those are gone.. I go into restuarants and get the free water

Friends for life

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by MAXandBELLESmom
    ... and the courtesy water is still tap water, eww!
    {:
    Sometimes I forget how good I've got it here in Portland. Our tap water is so good it is actually bottled and sold at a premium accross the US.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Just another idea - they could use a team of goats to "sniff" out hidden food at bag check. In addition, it would also force people to rent mules, because strollers would probably get eaten during the food inspection.

[quote=lazyboy97O]Disneyland is a FAMILY park! NOT a children's park! Have you heard the sory about daddy and his two girls at the merry-go-round?

Sorry, but what do FAMILIES have? CHILDREN! And no I haven't heard the story about the daddy and his two girls at the merry go round.

As for the water issue, being that I am from out of state and the country(I live in Alberta) I have been advised to NOT drink the water and only drink bottled water. As for the fountains, as another post said, they are filfthy and germy and gross.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by misterp102778
    Actually I think califorina has a law where if you have business you must follow the state disibility's act. Dibetics are in this catagory.
    Well there is the the UNRUH act (California Civil Code Section 51) which entitles certain classes of people full and equal accomodations, facilities, privileges and services in all business establishments. Those with medical conditions are specifically listed.

However, they are not turning people away at the door for because they have diabetes...

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphile
    It used to though. Disneyland used to enforce the "no outside food" rule, and they also had a dress code.
    How long ago was it that they had a strict no outside food rule? I used to always wear a backpack into Disneyland with drinks and snacks back as far as 1993 and never had a problem myself, but of course that doesn't mean that other people didn't have problems. And that was back at a time when DCA or DtD didn't exist either, so it wasn't like you were bringing something in that you purchased on Resort property.

A dress code is another matter entirely (other than the shirts and shoes being worn at all times). I wish they'd ban muffin-top jeans too.. hmm mebbe we should start a thread on a dress-code ...

They also used to kick people out for line-cutting and destructive behaviors, but that stopped also. Nowadays, it's become perfectly acceptable by Disneyland for a person in a bikini top to walk around with a sandwich and chips from home, and then line jump without a thing being done.
    LOL tru dat. Of course, those people usually end up with their photos taken by Micechatters and posted to the internet.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Just another idea - they could use a team of goats to "sniff" out hidden food at bag check. In addition, it would also force people to rent mules, because strollers would probably get eaten during the food inspection.

...that's one way to get rid of dirty diapers
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast