View Poll Results: Mara: god or goddess?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • god

44 53.01%
  • goddess

39 46.99%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• white and nerdy

Mara: god or goddess?

A silly question to be sure, but I've had very serious debates with otherwise intelligent, cognitive adults about this.

Mara is a man. He has no breasts, he speaks in a low voice, he is a god. I've noticed it's hard to find any refrences in Disneyland saying god or goddess, tye use "diety" and "idol" but can anyone say if they use the word god?

Those who say that Mara is a goddess say: 1. Mara is a girls name, 2. every diety has a low voice, 3. Dieties don't have any breasts, male of female.

So, what say you? Male of Female?
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Senior Minion

Re: Mara: god or goddess?

Male-unless Mara is taking some mean roids.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Minion

Aren't there lots of Indian dieties with breasts?

• Mexihick, y'all

Female. I would say the name Mara, being very female, plus the very feminine like qualities to the face. I have no boobs. I'm a female.

Low voice = poor thing.

• The Fantasyland guy

male.. you can hear it in his voice.

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Aren't there lots of Indian dieties with breasts?
    yes. that's why people who think mara is a girl are stupid.

ok, that was harsh. They are not stupid, they just have a tough time with genders.
    Last edited by thejoshualee; 06-09-2006 at 08:19 AM.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• What have I done?

Diety:
    A deity or a god is a postulated preternatural being, usually, but not always, of significant power, worshipped, thought holy, divine, or sacred, held in high regard, or respected by human beings. They assume a variety of forms, but are frequently depicted as having human or animal form. Sometimes it is considered blasphemous to imagine the deity as having any concrete form. They are usually immortal. They are commonly assumed to have personalities and to possess consciousness, intellects, desires, and emotions much like humans. Such natural phenomena as lightning, floods, storms, other "acts of God," and miracles are attributed to them, and they may be thought to be the authorities or controllers of every aspect of human life (such as birth or the afterlife). Some deities are asserted to be the directors of time and fate itself, to be the givers of human law and morality, to be the ultimate judges of human worth and behavior, and to be the designers and creators of the Earth or the universe. Some of these "gods" have no power at all—they are simply worshipped.

That is taken from wikipedia, so my guess is that MARA is neither or both to appeal to all people that enjoy the ride. Hmm anyone have anyconcrete evidence of what the imagineers were going for when they designed Iniana Jones the ride?

"This guy!"

• xmanmom

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinKing!
    Diety:
    A deity or a god is a postulated preternatural being, usually, but not always, of significant power, worshipped, thought holy, divine, or sacred, held in high regard, or respected by human beings. They assume a variety of forms, but are frequently depicted as having human or animal form. Sometimes it is considered blasphemous to imagine the deity as having any concrete form. They are usually immortal. They are commonly assumed to have personalities and to possess consciousness, intellects, desires, and emotions much like humans. Such natural phenomena as lightning, floods, storms, other "acts of God," and miracles are attributed to them, and they may be thought to be the authorities or controllers of every aspect of human life (such as birth or the afterlife). Some deities are asserted to be the directors of time and fate itself, to be the givers of human law and morality, to be the ultimate judges of human worth and behavior, and to be the designers and creators of the Earth or the universe. Some of these "gods" have no power at all—they are simply worshipped.

That is taken from wikipedia, so my guess is that MARA is neither or both to appeal to all people that enjoy the ride. Hmm anyone have anyconcrete evidence of what the imagineers were going for when they designed Iniana Jones the ride?
    Ooooh, good points! I was just going to say something like that, much less informed, but yes...what PumpkinKing said.

• Minion

I go with male. Why? Because Mara's voice is that of Worf and I Am Weasel, Michael Dorn. And I've never seen too much evidence towards Mara being female.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr

• Minion

I voted female just so I could be called stupid.

Well, if you guys have ever been to The Disney Gallery recently and you view the paintings of Indiana Jones Adventure, they clearly state that Mara is a female. Next time you go to the Gallery, see for yourself. That's why I put goddess as my vote because it is confirmed by Disney.

• CM for 4 years!

Mara is a female. Look at the "stone carvings" and paintings throughout the queue.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I was thinking goddess until the voice. Then there was a bit of gender confusion. Something about "Don't look in the eyes" makes it feel female, and the image looks a bit fem. But the voice....that would be one gnarly alto.

• white and nerdy

Hindu deity (as Mara is no doubt suppose to be) ARE gender specific though.
    Example: Shiva: male
    Lakshimi: female

a quick browse of traditional hindu gods and goddesses show that there are specific male and female, and that, anatomically, they are correct.

As far as what's in the Disney Gallery, well, if that is there it doesn't mean it's comfirmed by Disney. It means that some cast member wrote it there.

Hidu gods do have femaleish faces, at least according to Western standards, but you can always tell the gender because of how the body is shown. Mara is shown as a man.

• Back After Missing MC

Great debate thejoshualee!

I looked around the internet to see if anyone could definitively state if Mara was a god/goddess and came across the following opinions:
    • Mouseplanet.com - "...where you are warned NOT to look into the eyes of the goddess Mara."
    • TheIndyExperience.com quoting Star Wars Insider #54 - "...that tells the story of the fictitious Indian goddess Mara..."
    • Wikipedia.com - "...After many not-so-subtle warnings to avoid the gaze of the deity Mara..."
    • IndianaJones.com - "...as a lasting tribute to their powerful patron deity Mara..."
    • The New York Times (4/2/95) - "...through the Temple of the Forbidden Eye into an encounter with the deity Mara..."
    • OurLaughingPlace.com - "...don't dare look into the eyes of the angry deity Mara..."
    • HauntedAttraction.com - "...Fifty-five murals painted by show designer Chuck Ballew provide further clues into the myth of the deity Mara..."
    The definition from Dictionary.com for "deity" is the following:
    1. A god or goddess.
    2. a. The essential nature of condition of being a god; divinity.
    b. Deity God. Used with the.

I would have to say my opinion is that it is a deity and that is open to interpretation by each individual based on PumpkinKing!'s post.

However, if forced to go one way or another I would have to agree with those who noted Mara possesses very masculine features (or a lack of dominating female features at the least).

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast