View Poll Results: Should Mr. Lincoln return?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Mr. Lincoln should return after the 50th celebration.

60 71.43%
  • No, Mr Lincoln should not return after the 50th celebration. A new show/attraction is needed.

24 28.57%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Lincoln

• For old time sake

i think it should come back AND I think Disney needs to put the Hall of Presidents in DL too!!! I loved that at WDW when I went oh so long ago!!
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• Sector Two Droid Repair

I remember seeing the Hall of Presidents at the MK. While it was a good show, it wasn't exactly packed. In fact, it looked as packed as Lincoln is. It seems alot of tourists ignore that one too. I'd rather see something totally new (non-movie) put in. The Liberty square idea is good except I wouldn't put in any presidents. A dark ride on american inventors or even history would be cool. Maybe a thrill ride based on the american revolution using the ride vehicles from the Spiderman ride?
    This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
    Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

• dreams do come true

I think they need to remove it, nice show great AA but not a big enough draw to for that space. if the can find somewhere to move it to great if not well sorry but time to move on. Walt would, he removed things even things he really liked.

• CEO

I think that it should be turned into yet another cartoon character attraction like great moments with stitch or great moments with buzz lightyear. just kidding

• Back home :-(

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln is one of my favorite attractions (it's possible that I'm a huge sucker for history though ). I love going into the airconditioned building on a super hot day and just relaxing during the show... it's a nice break from the craziness of Disneyland! I really hope that they bring it back.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    It's true Walt removed things. Like the Viewliner, he loved it but it lasted a year (1958 - 1959).

About Mr. Lincoln: Why should it go in a saloon in Frontierland? Hello it has no relevance there. Nor does Philharmagic on Main Street. I dont really care what happens to Mr Lincoln--if it stays fine, if not don't put it somewhere it doesn't belong.

• Hooterville, USA

When they run out of room at DL, then remove it. Upgrade it first before removing it.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Yes! Return to the old format

Quote Originally Posted by NWRREngineer
    Not only should he return, but they should improve the show by giving him a longer speech, like the one he used to do.
    The new show was lame! The whole big thrill was to see Lincoln stand up and address the audience. In the new show, he sits down. Sitting down is very unimpressive. The show could be reworked with more stage time for Mr. Lincoln. Make it more interactive.

My vote is to upgrade the show, but not close it. An animatronic Walt Disney would be great, as well.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I think it should come back, but with a longer speech like NWRREngineer suggested. I never saw the older pre-headset version, but I was expecting Lincoln to do a longer speech or more than one when I first visited the attraction.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• See Ya Real Soon!

My only problem/concern is if they do not return Lincoln (which I hope they do) that it is going to end up a store not another attraction.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by phruby
    Maybe a thrill ride based on the american revolution using the ride vehicles from the Spiderman ride?
    I think you've just named a new roller coaster! Red, white and blue with a ton of twists and loops: The American Revolution!

(...I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread topic...)
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005

About Mr. Lincoln: Why should it go in a saloon in Frontierland?
    I think he meant Salon. (Although it might be fun to put ol' Abe in the Golden Horseshoe at the bar and present "Great Momentsh Wish Mishter Lincoln.....BURP!")
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

While I voted for its return I would love to see them change the show. Get ridof the audion head sets, while the effects are fun, I do not know what the person using the headphones before me was like (if you know what I mean, yuck!).

But if the 50th history show is good then I say stay with it and update that for awhile.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneychrista
    My only problem/concern is if they do not return Lincoln (which I hope they do) that it is going to end up a store not another attraction.
    Ditto on this statement!! I would not want to see another retail store in it's place. I would either like Lincoln back or a new attraction, no rides, a show!! Or improve these even more with todays technology something can be done with Disney's money.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by felixthequick
    there is no exitement when it comes to mr lincoln. everyone always skips this non attraction.
    I have written elsewhere on the perils of making excitement the standard by which one measures attractions. I like a good thrill as much as the next guy, but I like even more that Walt didn't build his park just to excite. Indeed: Disneyland's cross-generational appeal has depended from the beginning on the availability of sedate experiences in addition to thrills and spectacles.

I'll illustrate with a personal anecdote. Once during my days as a Cast Member, my mother came to visit from out of town. On the last day of her stay, I had to work; she arranged to take the shuttle to LAX from the Disneyland Hotel later that afternoon, I signed her into the park, and we said our goodbyes. Later I learned that she never went beyond Main Street USA that day. Not being a fan of thrill rides, and not wanting to negotiate crowds or lines for anything else, she installed herself in a chair on the front porch of the former unmentionables shop and spent hours quilting, chatting with passers-by, and watching happy vacationers amble up and down the street. To this day my mother insists that she's never had more fun at Disneyland than she did that day.

Had Mom paid fifty-odd dollars to get into the park, she would of course have expected more than a seat in the shade for her money--but she would have wanted that, too. A day at a Disneyland without pleasant atmospheres in which to relax between adventures would frustrate my mother, and folks like her, immeasurably.

Mom won't ride Indy or Big Thunder; Mr. Lincoln moved at her speed. Disneyland still offers many gentle experiences, of course, but we mustn't take that for granted. We've all noticed Disney's inability or unwillingness nowadays to build attractions that aren't either big-gun thrills or milk-toast kiddie rides. That brand of "progress" will ultimately only alienate a huge segment of the paying public: the segment that comes to Disneyland for family fun.

I should say here that Mr. Lincoln's latest incarnation left much to be desired. The Gettysburg Address segment, while reasonably well executed, lacked the power of the composite speech that preceded it; the rest of the presentation suffered from hokey writing; the 3D audio contributed nothing but a flavor of gimmickry; the new actor--bless his heart for trying--couldn't match Royal Dano's stunningly expressive performance of old. I don't want that show back, and since Disney almost certainly won't resurrect any Mr. Lincoln but the most recent version, I'm willing to welcome a new tenant to the Opera House.

Quote Originally Posted by travelmom
    But the problem with Lincoln is todays visitor just doesn't care, and its expense, and precious space being wasted.
    I can't deny that the modern visitor displays an alarmingly low level of interest in the sorts of things that would most benefit him: history, education, patriotism. I understand, too, that Disney, for concrete financial reasons, must beware of under-used real estate. But if no motive higher than profit informs the company's decisions, Disneyland and the rest of the empire will sink inevitably into irrelevance. Today's Disney mines its reserves of historical goodwill and emotional capital to stoke the boilers. If it does not commit itself to the development of alternative energy sources (if I may stretch the metaphor), it will exhaust these fossil fuel stores and die a pitiful death.

Only a foolish company takes dictation from the public. Walt, did it once, when he caved to the pressure to make a sequel to "The Three Little Pigs." After he recognized his error he focused his energies on creating demand rather than responding to it. I once expressed Disney's responsibility as the obligation "to take the high road: to discern what the public needs, not what it thinks it wants; to determine what challenges to its preconceptions the public will accept and in what respects it will demand to stay on familiar ground." I stand by the sentiment.

I don't think today's public is really so debased that it won't respond to excellence. Witness Pixar's continued success. That company does the unexpected, and does it brilliantly, and audiences find themselves gifted with wonderful things for which they hadn't asked. Pay attention, Disney. Pay close attention.

If today's visitor doesn't care a fig for Mr. Lincoln, I can't do anything to change it. But I can stress that in moving forward, Disney mustn't allow itself to be bound by what the public thinks it wants. I can suggest, too, that turnstile clicks alone cannot always tell whether or not a space is wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by phruby
    A dark ride on american inventors or even history would be cool. Maybe a thrill ride based on the american revolution using the ride vehicles from the Spiderman ride?
    I'd prefer to see history left alone than to see it trivialized. The addition of 3D audio to Mr. Lincoln frustrated me for just this reason. Not only did it detract from the show's true value by derailing the narrative for the sake of artifice, but it insulted audiences by suggesting implicitly that we haven't the vocabularies or attention spans to process actual information; that we'll tolerate education only so far as it's "enhanced" with more and more extreme sensory input.

Sure, I'd probably enjoy an American Revolution thrill ride, but we ought to hesitate to travel any farther down this road to the cheapening of our history and the spoiling of our minds than we've already come.

Here ends today's lesson.
    Eric Dean

[Countdown=&day=12&month=5&year=2005&hour=12&min=20 &sec=55]Getting off this dead volcano and back to California in:[/countdown]

"Welcome aboard, friends. This is Captain Collins. Now, first let me assure you that TWA has taken every precaution for your safety during this flight. We're proud of our safety record, and aside from a few brief moments of weightlessness, you'll suffer no discomfort in outer space."
    --from Rocket to the Moon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast