• Pull your "Magic" finger?

Cool Review the reviewers / planners.

With the obvious exception of MiceChat (which absolutely Rocks), what is everyone's opinion of the review books (Unofficial Guide, Birnbaums etc) and other websites dedicated to helping out the newbie or long hiatus visitor to Disneyland.

Please, only Disneyland in CALIFORNIA, or the specific site info on Disneyland CA.

I'll post my opinions later today.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: Review the reviewers / planners.

In my opinion, the Birnbaum Book has basic good Disneyland knowledge that someone who has not been to Disneyland can benefit from. The Unofficial Guide, is a little too cynical. There are not enough good Disneyland guide books out there.

The Passporter People have issued a Disneyland Guidebook, and I just ordered my copy a few days ago. If it is done as well as their Disney World version, it should be very helpful.

I don't believe that you need to plan as much for a trip to Disneyland as you do for a trip to Disney World. Oh, there's still the where should we eat, and where should we stay questions, but other than perhaps having a running list of things that you don't want to miss, vacation planning can be kept to a minimum. That allows one to just be spontaneous and remember to take Disneyland slowand easy and appreciate it's finer points and it's historical signifigance.
    Disneyland Here I Come Again!
    October 1, to October 6, 2015

•   
    • Prefect

Blog Entries

^I agree. Planning for DLR is not in the same ballpark as WDW.

Kevin Yee's books are good for those that want a little more insider trivia, although they aren't planning books. The Birnbaum books are very basic. I'd save the money & check one out from the library. You can also get a free DVD from disneyland.com. Also, for those interested, The Disneyland Passporter is at Costco right now.
    <o>

• Neep meep beep

I found the Unofficial Guide very, very helpful. I highly recommend it.

• Pull your "Magic" finger?

Birnbaum was fantastic 15 years ago. Now all the little insider tips are gone. Less information on hotels and restaurants, and anything OTHER than DL and DCA.

Unofficial: Did they just take their MK book and retitle it? I don't think there was a quote from anyone West of the Mississippi. If all you care about is riding the E-Tickets, you're set. Their website ignores DL altogether. I wouldn't bother bying a new one again.

Websites:
    1) Mouseplanet: not anywhere as good as it used to be. I like the weekly updates. Again, it seems to be WDW focused.

2) Visions Fantastic. Very good, second to Micechat. Great tips like actual menus and prices for in the park.

3) Laughingplace. Needs to be updated more regularily.

Micechat is my fav. I get all the updates I need, and lots of advice from the pros. I think any travel agent selling Disneyland shoud keep aware of what goes on here on at least a weekly basis.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Nanaimobar
    Websites:
    1) Mouseplanet: not anywhere as good as it used to be. I like the weekly updates. Again, it seems to be WDW focused.
    Mouseplanet is generically helpful. I actually think it's gotten better - or at least more organized. I check the weekly updates every Monday.

2) Visions Fantastic. Very good, second to Micechat. Great tips like actual menus and prices for in the park.
    I agree! Very great website to get a general idea of what to see and experience at Disneyland. Full of so much great content!

3) Laughingplace. Needs to be updated more regularily.
    I think I may be one of the only Disney fans that doesn't even ever go to the Laughingplace. I've heard good things, but whenever I go I can never find anythnig on that site. It's the most poorly laid-out Disney website on the web. How it has such a huge following is beyond me - I don't know how it could develop one with such a confusing, mismashed, cluttered, unorganized layout.[/quote]

Also - MouseInfo.com is alright. I find their message boards to be less than savory - people there come off as far too cynical and jaded for my taste. The photo updates on there are great though.

I really like the MouseTimes.com Disneyland photo updates though. Always good stuff in those updates, even if they arent as frequent as I would like them to be

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |