• Official Mice Chat person

Soarin' over California... in HD

The sensation of flying is currently very realistic while riding Soarin' Over California. But just imagine when the ride is eventually refurbished... what if they re-did it all in HD?...Is this even possible for such a huge screen? I think it would definitely be worth it.

• ROFLCOPTER!

Re: Soarin' over California... in HD

Ooooo, that would be awesome! And add 3d goggles! Whooooosh!

Personally all I really need is for them to clean up the film and screens. Flying through California with a big black streak next to your glider is scary. The Nazgul are gonna get me! IEEEE!

...Okay, bad joke, but seriously, some of those blips are really distracting.

• Don't mess with the duck!

Imax has HD. I'm with Trintara, just cleaning up the screens would go a long way. Oh, and getting all scents to work would be the kicker.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDuck
    Imax has HD. I'm with Trintara, just cleaning up the screens would go a long way. Oh, and getting all scents to work would be the kicker.
    That's great that imax has HD. Yes, the screens really do need to be cleaned a bit, that would help a lot. But eventually when/if the ride ever gets a major refurb, they could re-do the scenes in HD. Maybe they could test it at the Florida version first. Wasn't the florida version designed to have different films anyways?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandrocks55
    That's great that imax has HD. Yes, the screens really do need to be cleaned a bit, that would help a lot. But eventually when/if the ride ever gets a major refurb, they could re-do the scenes in HD. Maybe they could test it at the Florida version first. Wasn't the florida version designed to have different films anyways?
    Agreed. Depending on where you sit, the seems in the screen are really quite visible, and there are quite a few spots where the glitches in the film become distracting. High Def would be amazing.

• Don't mess with the duck!

Trust me, I'm all with you on them updating to HD. They just need to spend the money. Digital Projection would be sweet and then they wouldn't have to worry about dirty/worn footage. A lot of crews shoot in HD nowadays, even if the final output is not HD (makes sense to have the highest source and easily downconverting to other lesser formats). Plus, if Disney gets reall buddy buddy with Lucas, he can set it up for them.

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan
    Agreed. Depending on where you sit, the seems in the screen are really quite visible
    Yeah, they need to do something about that. Durring the opening cloud scene especially the seams of the screen are very obvious.

A frame of IMAX film is roughly 10,000 x 7,000. That is WAY higher than HD video resolution. So switching to HD would greatly reduce the picture quality.

I don't think there are any digital projectors that could handle that high of resolution either, at least not yet.

IMAX 70mm is MUCH higher resolution then HD

IMAX is 70mm, WAY WAY WAY higher resolution then current HD digital projection, even at 4K resolution which most digital projections at standard theatres are not even at yet. So the sensation of Soarin in HD with current digital projection would be a serious downgrade in viewing experience. Now if they had a 3-D Imax 70mm presentation of Soarin then we are talking about the next level. Also if the screens were cleaned more frequently and the film was rotated with new prints it would also help alot in the current presentation.

interesting fact about Imax 3D... It's actually twice the "resolution" of their ordinary films. This is due to the fact that two seperate projectors play two seperate films with different polarization and both are "full res" so when they are put togeather by your brain (due to the polarized goggles) you are seeing twice the "resolution". I think soarin would be amazing with 3-D. I have been rather unimpressed with Disney's use of 3D though. Their glasses have terrible, foggy lenses that reduce the viewing quality, I always tend to have bad ghosting(double image) in their theme park attractions, and their newer "disney 3D" i.e.Chicken Little was extremely unimpressive.

• All you need is LOVE

i think hd is great idea i love hd tv