• Ian The Fox

How was the hatbox ghost supposed to work?

Okay, now, without posting pictures, can someone please explain to me how the hatbox ghost animatronic was supposed to work? I'm intrigued about how his head was supposed to get from his neck to the box.
    Woof!

• Shubisha

Re: How was the hatbox ghost supposed to work?

Now you see his head... now you OH MY GOD HIS HEAD IS GONE WHERE COULD IT BE?!? AAAAH IT'S IN THE BOX HE'S HOLDING OMG THAT'S SICK I'M FREAKED OUT NOW AAAHHHH okay out of the attic phew that was scary

• Ian The Fox

Quote Originally Posted by almandot
    Now you see his head... now you OH MY GOD HIS HEAD IS GONE WHERE COULD IT BE?!? AAAAH IT'S IN THE BOX HE'S HOLDING OMG THAT'S SICK I'M FREAKED OUT NOW AAAHHHH okay out of the attic phew that was scary
    I meant how did the mechanism of the animatronic work? In other words, how did they make that illusion happen?
    Woof!

• Basking in birthday love

I thought the whole reason the Hatbox Ghost was never installed was because they couldn't make it work believably. Renders the whole question rather academic.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Easy . . .

The head on the neck was painted with black light responsive paint. The Hatbox was lined with a Theatrical scrim, much like that of the Stretching Room Ceiling. There was a head in both spots. There was a pin blacklight spot on the face that turned off as the pin spot (normal lighting) went on in the Hatbox. The Hat remained Present at all times where it is in pictures. It looked Great at Imagineering where they could have their own little booth with all effects controlled and no interferences, however, the Imagineers forgot to take into account the blacklights scattered throughout the attic. These lights would remain on at all times, so as the pin spot went out, you could still see his face illuminated by the ambient light. This confused riders as to what was supposed to be accomplished, and Marc Davis requested the figure be removed.

Yensidtlaw1969
    www.BrandonHardy-Art.com

https://www.facebook.com/Brandon.Hardy.Art

"The show's called Pirates of the Caribbean, not Boy Scouts of the Caribbean. They're my babies, you know? I hate to see them fool around with 'em."
    -X. Atencio

"Whether I like it or not doesn't matter. Each new generation has the right to come in and do what they feel is right for the show -- and that's what they did."
    ~Alice Davis

• Minion

Yeah yensid basiclly summed it up. I saw it in one of my disneyland dvd's, and it looks pretty darn creepy. I remember when i was little there was a GIANT hatbox or somthing in the middle of the attic with something popping up, am i just imagining things?

• The Twilight Zone

Quote Originally Posted by yensidtlaw1969
    Easy . . .

The head on the neck was painted with black light responsive paint. The Hatbox was lined with a Theatrical scrim, much like that of the Stretching Room Ceiling. There was a head in both spots. There was a pin blacklight spot on the face that turned off as the pin spot (normal lighting) went on in the Hatbox. The Hat remained Present at all times where it is in pictures. It looked Great at Imagineering where they could have their own little booth with all effects controlled and no interferences, however, the Imagineers forgot to take into account the blacklights scattered throughout the attic. These lights would remain on at all times, so as the pin spot went out, you could still see his face illuminated by the ambient light. This confused riders as to what was supposed to be accomplished, and Marc Davis requested the figure be removed.

Yensidtlaw1969
    doombuggyproductions.com right there you beat me to it

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak
    I thought the whole reason the Hatbox Ghost was never installed was because they couldn't make it work believably. Renders the whole question rather academic.
    Sorry, but HBG definitely WAS installed and operating. I saw it myself during HM's opening week in 9/69.

yensidtlaw's summary is correct, but here's a few more details for those who are interested:

1) The two heads did not flicker suddenly back and forth with the heartbeat, but faded back and forth, morph-like.

2) The only thing that moved on the figure was the right hand on the cane, which quivered as if to indicate great age.

3) HBG was top-illuminated by a dull ceiling spot with normal incandescent lighting, which gave him a bit of a theatrical, actor-on-a-stage look, and it also drew attention to him as the attic scene's climax.

4) The original position of the bride and the HBG can be seen in this blueprint of the original attic: http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/PictFra...d/atticmap.gif

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

Quote Originally Posted by pveticket
    Yeah yensid basiclly summed it up. I saw it in one of my disneyland dvd's, and it looks pretty darn creepy. I remember when i was little there was a GIANT hatbox or somthing in the middle of the attic with something popping up, am i just imagining things?
    That was a blast up on wires. It was to the right, just as you entered the attic where the Ambrose Portrait is today.

• Basking in birthday love

Ah, my mistake. I had assumed that it was a proposed effect that had never made it to the mansion. Though it actually makes much more sense that he did appear, if briefly. Good to know...

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."