Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

California Screamin' Scream Track?

Yesterday, my hubby and I enjoyed some liquid refreshment at the Cove Bar and spent a nice time watching California Screamin' go by. As we sat there, he remarked that there is a "scream-track" after the count-down, probably to enhance the experience. I listened carefully as several cars zoomed by but couldn't hear this alleged scream-track. I chalk it up to a sun or, er, "refreshment" induced hallucination. I've never been on the ride myself, since I'm a big chicken, but can anyone here resolve our dispute?

• Banned User

Re: California Screamin' Scream Track?

I know that there is "stand-by" music at the beginning and end portions of the ride. It's used on the launch protion to hold the music over until the train launches and used at the end just in case the train is held in the brake zones before re-entering the load station. It picks up right after the ride soundtrack ends and only queues up if the train waits on the launch for a certain amount of time. That might be what he is talking about. Then of course it depends if the audio is working in any given train or even car.

The "scream track" he is hearing is the sound of the LIMs engaging.. The magnets start spinning before they release the brakes, and when they do, you hear them catch and it sounds like the beginnings of a scream. If you listen carefully, you can hear a similar noise when the chain catches in the middle of the ride.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic
    The "scream track" he is hearing is the sound of the LIMs engaging.. The magnets start spinning before they release the brakes, and when they do, you hear them catch and it sounds like the beginnings of a scream. If you listen carefully, you can hear a similar noise when the chain catches in the middle of the ride.
    I have to agree that this is what it is, it's the sound of the LIMs getting the train moving.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• WFJC Swim Team Captain

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic
    There are no moving parts on a LIM, and there is no chain on the second hill either, the lack of a chain on that hill allows for a smooth transition up the hill.

The noise you hear at the "Launch" is the combination of the electricity flowing through the LIMs and also the train fighting against the brakes on the track since the LIMs engage just before the train is released.

And to answer the original question, No their is no "scream" track and if anyone doesn't belive me then just head on over to the observation deck next to the lauch section while the ride is being brought back from downtime.

• Official Mice Chat person

Sorry, maybe I'm not getting what you are talking about. What's a "scream track"?

• WFJC Swim Team Captain

Not a piece of track, but an audio track.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Actually, a "scream track" throughout the ride would be an amusing idea! Fortunately, as long as there are teen-aged girls on the ride, Disney doesn't have to spend the money.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Regular Newbie :)

ya, there are always some screaming pre-teens yelling to be cool and going on the ride like a 100 times in one visit!!

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by TheCoasterNut
    Not a piece of track, but an audio track.
    Oh, okay, haha.. thats what I thought but had to make sure. If you listen closely to the soundtrack on the California Adventure Official Album, there IS screams durring the part of the music that happens durring the loop. It's very faint, so it would be pretty much impossible to hear 'on' the ride. But if anyone has the audio, listen for it.

• Shubisha

I definitely hear the screams during that part of the music(the loop. not the launch). It's at about 1:15 on the track. Just because it's that low on the cd release doesn't mean it's that low on the ride though.

That's right, no recorded screams are necessary as long as there are teenage girls present--my son likes to mimic their screams, which just adds insult to injury, but it does makes me laugh which is probably why he does it.

• Banned User

The brakes release just seconds before the the actual launch process starts (through the LIM's).

• Neep meep beep

Since these posts are woefully deficient on relevant facts, I'll offer this, for what it's worth. The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland 2006, by Bob Sehlinger, has the following quote (from page 211):

"Speakers play a synchronized soundrack complete with recorded canned screaming."

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Helping build Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    "Speakers play a synchronized soundrack complete with recorded canned screaming."
    Well, that actually is true.

Be sure to listen inside the loop, there's a bit of canned screaming.
    -Monorail Man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast