Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: These acronyms are getting out of hand

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken_Monk
    If it takes people to a few minutes to figure out what a thread is about or what the title to a thread says then... thats a problem!
    It's only a problem when you don't want to adapt to the community you are participating in IMHO.

Speaking only for myself, I didn't learn all of these over night. I quickly picked them up after being a part of another online Disney community. Commenting on it like this isn't going to stop it because it has been going on for years online. Feel free to type out whatever you wish, but please realize some of us will make use of the myriad of abbreviations/acronyms that have been established through the years. I don't do it to confuse people, but for ease of posting. I suspect that is true for others. And yes at times, a new one will pop up...and I have to take an extra second or two to figure it out. And when I cannot figure it out from the context, I ask.

"Prepare your child for the path, not the path for your child."
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I'm not crazy about the over use of acronyms either. They make it very hard for newer Disney geeks to know what is going on and force them to either ask or get frustrated and leave the conversation. However, it is so tempting to use them. Who wants to type Its a Small World when you can just say IaSW?

It is just one of those tough decisions to make. Clarity versus ease of typing. The problems can be easily avoided if the person who starts the thread will at least use the full names in the subject line of the thread and in the thread body. That makes it easier to figure out what is going on in subsequent posts. But in practice, I know that isn't likely to happen.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Frozen lemonade addict!

MandaBella, my original intent when creating this thread was not to change the way that people post on Mice Chat and or the Internet. It was intended for people to see that maybe we are using these abbreviations WAY to much!

There are many acronyms which are Internet wide and are easy to understand. LOL, IMHO ROTFL. There are many which are not, BPB (Block Party Bash)? Again, my post werent meant as a plea to change the way people post on Mice Chat. It was just a personal observation.

"If everyone jumps off of a bridge, does that mean you should to?"
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mugen80/
    http://jjhernandez.smugmug.com

Dusty, you sir rock!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney

• Sock Puppet

You think thats bad? Working at Disneyland has you going with a ton more of acronyms, all cheesy and horrible to remember. Disney's favorite thing to do is come up with acronyms for work.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Is HOME.

MY HEAD HURTS, wheres my DW? (Dole Whip)
    Maybe you could read them easier if you weren't Drunk.

Tee hee- only kidding! You know, your user name? Nevermind.

I also have a hard time figuring out some of them. I still don't know what a few on your list are! Like the last one! I got used to the basic ones when I worked in attractions, but some of them are out of hand. And then sometimes I feel like I should know and don't want to look dumb by asking. <shrug>
    “In a world filled with hate, we must still dare to hope. In a world filled with anger, we must still dare to comfort. In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream. And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.” -Michael Jackson

MandaBella, my original intent when creating this thread was not to change the way that people post on Mice Chat and or the Internet. It was intended for people to see that maybe we are using these abbreviations WAY to much!

It was just a personal observation.
    Understood Drunken_Monk.

I don't care for sentences that are overloaded with them either. However, sentences with one or two aren't too bad.
    Amanda
    Just remember without a well written Disney Villain, there would be no point in the Heroes and the Princesses. Have you hugged a Disney Villain today?

TinkPink, I was waiting for someone to ask what the last one stood for.
    Its My God This Thread Is Out Of Control.

I need another drink...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    I'm not crazy about the over use of acronyms either. They make it very hard for newer Disney geeks to know what is going on and force them to either ask or get frustrated and leave the conversation. However, it is so tempting to use them. Who wants to type Its a Small World when you can just say IaSW?

It is just one of those tough decisions to make. Clarity versus ease of typing. The problems can be easily avoided if the person who starts the thread will at least use the full names in the subject line of the thread and in the thread body. That makes it easier to figure out what is going on in subsequent posts. But in practice, I know that isn't likely to happen.
    AAAAYYMEN to that!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

OIC. IDK, YMMV on IASW IMHO...FWIW IIRC POTC is DOA right now, so I'll BBIAB with some info ASAP. AAMOF Monsters, Inc is ROFLMFAO funny, AFAIC.

BTW - remember...WYSIWYG.
    Happy Anniversary, MiceChat!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Eh, you'll get used to it. Then you can talk in code with your fellow DL geek friends with others around and they'll be all confused...it's fun

Seriously though, if you don't know what something means, don't hesitate to ask. You won't be ridiculed for it

•   
    • Daffy about Disneyland

Blog Entries

Then again, if you use too many acronyms, be prepared to explain what you are saying.
    My Next Disneyland Vacation - ​May 29, 2014 - June 5, 2014

My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12