Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ways to Expand Disneyland

While The Walt Disney Company of late has been reluctant to undertake capital expenditures, expanding Disneyland's capacity is a key to realizing future earnings growth since, clearly, the public's interest in visiting Disneyland has the potential to, itself, expand as the success of the Golden Anniversary celebration demonstrates.

In this thread, you're welcome to freely proffer suggestions for squeezing additional guest capacity from Disneyland and for better utilizing the capacity that currently exists there.

For example, one of my ideas is to enclose a portion of the Jungle Cruise in a show building so that, atop it, a walkway, with attendant guest amenities, may be constructed connecting the current site of the Jungle Cruise exit with the entrance to the Indiana Jones Adventure. Adventureland, the smallest of the four cardinal realms of The Magic Kingdom, needs to allow guests to move through the space in a circular fashion.

• Neep meep beep

Re: Ways to Expand Disneyland

When the Indiana Jones Adventure was under construction, the Jungle Cruise was re-routed, and the final course ended up cutting off five minutes of total running time off a popular attraction.

Under a similar thought, what if the back of Tom Sawyers Island was shortened, and the Rivers of America were shortened to a lesser length? Looking at the park from space, this would save a substantial amount of square footage for new attractions or show space, shops, restaurants, etc. You could still run the Columbia and Mark Twain, and the canoes, still have Tom Sawyer Island as a useable attraction, but would save the room currently occupied by the Fort Wilderness, old Mine Train, and the Indian Village, and "spruce up" a less popular area of the park.

There's a ton of space to the north and northwest of Fantasyland that feels wasted to me. And then from there northwest again outside the train tracks, more space for ride buildings. Toon Town, while great for kids, blocks off any expansion to the due north, west of IASW. I wish they had put that where Videopolis (what's it called now? lol) was.

They could keep the woodsy feel all around ROA and still build out around it, outside the train berm, so that there is a loop walkway from Critter Country to Fantasyland/Frontierland. Then there would be tons of space for something around there, unless the backstage buildings can't be moved. This, however, might make ROA seem less than frontiersy.

Anyway, any of these options seem more realistic than shortening ROA or putting a roof on Jungle Cruise.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

It took sooooo long fior the vegitation to grow in JC. Maybe they could cut into the "shop side" of Adventureland when they rehab the dining areas.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Rock Star Minion

1. There's a great expanse of dead space south of the park.
    (Sorry, standard-issue DCA-hate speech.)
    2. I'm thinking that all of the north-side backstage (TDA building, etc.) might be moved to north of the M&F structure, thus freeing up all of that for whatever can be imagineered. (Except for train and monorail maintenance house, of course.)
    3. The Lion King tram drop-off can be eliminated once the DCA expansion into Timon and Poombaa lots is complete. Maybe a small walking path from the Harbor motels could be kept, or a DCA entrance over there could help (...attendance at DCA - -ooh snap, I DID just say that!). So, Tomorrowland could be expanded beyond the berm. (That's where Space Mountain should have been rebuilt (WDW's Space Mountain is beyond the berm) if DCA weren't already there.)
    4. FastPass could be eliminated, so there is only one guest in line at any given time, freeing up all of the Indy queue, Splash queue, Space queue,...
    5. Better attractions that people want to go in (and off the walkways) would help, too. I'm looking straight at Innoventions here.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Mary Blair Lover

I'm lucky enough to be very familiar with Disneyland, and it is definitely short on space, not just on stage but backstage as well. I'm always attracted to threads about expanding the park, because it is an interesting dilemma. To my knowledge, there are only a few open, undeveloped places within the berm that can still be developed.....

First, as many have already mentioned before, is the space stretching from the RofA to the Big Thunder Barbeque. basically everything west and north of Big Thunder Trail. including the old mine train area and the festival arena. This space to me seems the most obvious. The dilemma there is building something that will blend with those surroundings, and, i would personally like to see something that would keep the woodsy feeling that area still has.

And, as others have also already mentioned, the old motorboat cruise area. Also, (if you want to consider this wasted space) The fantasyland theatre.

I seen suggestions on many threads about expanding beyond the berm. What people forget is that the backstage areas are also extremely tight. The only open area i can think of (and to call it that is a stretch because this area is used for storage, construction walls AND the imagineering bungalow) is the area west of Indy and south of NOS/pirates. (This area is easily viewed on the monorail). But the area would be hard to get to from within the berm. More so than indy, which is already a long walk.

I seen quite a few posts site satellite photos as proof that there is lot's of room backstage. The problem is that people assume that the buildings that are there are just storage or can be moved, but this is not true. Every single building you see backstage has a purpose. Take for example, the buildings west of the the northern part of RofA. Those buildings house the Paint Shop, the Wood Shop, the Sign Shop, the Staff shop, and countless others. And those shops are not just for DL but for the entire resort. This area also contains the harbor where all the Fantasmic watercraft are stored. The area north of the festival arena and west of toontown? That's Circle D and the area where they handle all the resorts garbage. (i forgot what it's officially called.) Every single building you see back there IS something. There are no miscellaneous storage buildings (I previously wrote a post in another thread about the fact that most of the holiday layover in both HM and ISAW are actually stored IN those same respective attraction buildings!) When i worked there, they did the restoration of the carousel horses IN the Circle-Vision theatre, because there was no place else. Heck, even the main street vehicles are stored outdoors in tents, the same kind you and i can buy at Costco.

The only way I see it as a possibility (farther developing outside the berm) is if whole departments were moved to DCA side or off site all together, and that is highly unlikely.

• Mary Blair Lover

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    1. There's a great expanse of dead space south of the park.
    (Sorry, standard-issue DCA-hate speech.)
    I have to agree with you here and also say that i would much rather they invest their money in expanding (and fixing) down there before they do huge expansions to DL.

• Rock Star Minion

Going underground might also be a good place to start. A nice dark ride under Fantasyland, for starters.

There are some buildings behind Big Thunder Ranch. I have no idea what they're used for. Perhaps building some dark ride OVER them -- possibly demolishing the building in order to build the ride AND whatever that building is used for now? Sure, it would be a few years. Sacrifices have to be made.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

I know room is tight.
    I know some rides actually house pieces of other rides when they are under refurb., so there is really no extra buildings in the park that can be demo'd.
    As far as the Rivers of America...that's about it for room. A lot of that is over looked and has become kinda trashy. Walt loved progress, but loves nostalgia too (he wanted it things preserved). However Walt hated one thing, that's trashy. Redo that area.
    Going out of the berm in Tomorrowland...how, it's a big road called harbor blvd. (maybe I'm not seeing the vision...I just see road)
    Revamp fantasyland waters and walkways.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71
    Going out of the berm in Tomorrowland...how, it's a big road called harbor blvd. (maybe I'm not seeing the vision...I just see road)
    I'm thinking SOUTH, not East. Lion King tram (as well as taxis?) stop is there. DCA is also there, so there's not much room anymore. However, if DCA were to expand into Timon and Pumbaa lots, there there would be much of a need for the Lion King tram stop.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71
    TL has two sides on the Berm...Harbor to the East and a huge tram area to the South....

Tram area could be built over or under without too much trouble imho.

Sediment beat me too it
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Mary Blair Lover

I'm thinking SOUTH, not East. Lion King tram (as well as taxis?) stop is there. DCA is also there, so there's not much room anymore. However, if DCA were to expand into Timon and Pumbaa lots, there there would be much of a need for the Lion King tram stop.
    Actually the taxi stop is east of the tunnel to DCA, closer to harbor blvd. All of the hotel shuttles and the CM shuttles stop in that area. The problem is, how would one get to that area from tomorrowland?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by crpeoplemover
    Actually the taxi stop is east of the tunnel to DCA, closer to harbor blvd. All of the hotel shuttles and the CM shuttles stop in that area. The problem is, how would one get to that area from tomorrowland?
    Oh, no, no, no. I've done enough Imagineering, and my head hurts. (Tight ear hat, I think.)
    YOU think of a way. I know, lots tons of buildings in the way. As I said before, the empty space to the south really cramps up the whole resort. That big hotel didn't help, taking up valuable potential second-park space (that was once in the WestCot plans). I'd have pushed that way to the west. Maybe to the parking lot between DTD and M&F (again, on the WestCot plans).
    Anywho, a nicely imagineered queue or ride drop can easily go under the tracks and buildings and Grand Canyon, ... Not as if it hasn't been done before (see Indy or POTC).

• Mary Blair Lover

Oh, no, no, no. I've done enough Imagineering, and my head hurts. (Tight ear hat, I think.)
    YOU think of a way. I know, lots tons of buildings in the way. As I said before, the empty space to the south really cramps up the whole resort. That big hotel didn't help, taking up valuable potential second-park space (that was once in the WestCot plans). I'd have pushed that way to the west. Maybe to the parking lot between DTD and M&F (again, on the WestCot plans).
    Anywho, a nicely imagineered queue or ride drop can easily go under the tracks and buildings and Grand Canyon, ... Not as if it hasn't been done before (see Indy or POTC).
    I don't think i'm up to it either.
    Yeah, the situation over there is a way different than Indy, a lot more to contend with. I'll just say that yes, it wouldn't be impossible to do a ride drop or long queue, but that would practically involve "the big dig" style engineering. That's why I see expansion down there very unlikely. Also, despite how awful the shuttle area looks, it is used. (I think there have been threads on suggestions on how to fix up that area.)

• Rock Star Minion

How about some kind of attraction that starts in Tomorrowland, and then goes underground to the Timon/Pumbaa lot? Maybe half queue, half ride.
    Yeah, it's a long way. That's details. That's someone else's job. I'm the idea guy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast