Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where and what are all the backstage buildings?

With the discussion about how to expand Disneyland and crpeoplemover's quick explanation of some of the backstage buildings, it got me thinking that someone in the know should create an overlay on an aerial photo of DL (perhaps using Google Maps) explaining what all the backstage buildings are for. I'm not talking about the ride buildings but the buildings for storage and workshops and offices, etc.

That would be very interesting and would help in the discussion of how and where to expand DL.

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Where and what are all the backstage buildings?

I'm sure they're all pretty important, regardless of their actual purpose. crp might be able to expound on this, if it's not "classified" info.
    I know where the train and monorail "roundhouse" is. I don't think that could be moved easily. A great use of vertical space, I might add.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Mary Blair Lover

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    I'm sure they're all pretty important, regardless of their actual purpose. crp might be able to expound on this, if it's not "classified" info.
    I know where the train and monorail "roundhouse" is. I don't think that could be moved easily. A great use of vertical space, I might add.
    crp... I like that!

I don't work for the mouse anymore, and i'm not just saying that, i really don't. But, having said that, i would not be comfortable creating a map like that (aside from the fact that the DLR would not appreciate it!) Although, i have seen others do simular maps and pics. Even if i were comfortable, i wouldn't be up to it. (call me lazy all you want!) I suppose if there is a specific building you wanted to know about, i don't mind answering. I'm sure there many others on here who also know the place as i do.

• Minion

Well lets just say there is hardly any room backstage for expansion, what you see in Disneyland is what you have to work with. Making a map like that would not be wise because anyone can access the net and a person up to no good could use that information.
    Jeff Wayne

• Neep meep beep

Use that information for what? Are you saying they'll use it for EEVVVILL? If so, then we need to do full homeland security checks on all cast members, since they mainly all have access to backstage areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    Use that information for what? Are you saying they'll use it for EEVVVILL? If so, then we need to do full homeland security checks on all cast members, since they mainly all have access to backstage areas.
    They already do background checks, I don't know about the FULL homeland check though. This is another reason (aside from keeping the magic alive) that taking pictures backstage simply isn't allowed.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    "Oh, and that next building is where the daily money receipts are kept until exactly 3PM, when the first armored truck, carrying four armed men (including driver). One is riding shotgun, and the other is inside the secured area. The shotgun and one of the secured men get the money. They take a rather circuitous route through the roundhouse and out through building #14 (labeled on map). From there they get into the armored truck, but you'll notice a blind spot right here where none of the gards can see. You can sneak right up and 'talk' to the driver, distracting him while another person takes out the others. Change into their clothes and drive the armored car out.

"Anything else you'd like to know about backstage?"

(Disclaimer: I made that whole thing up in the last five minutes.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Pilot EdForceOne

the 'dont do it' stuff here is blehhh.. labeling buildings doesn't make them any less secure nor will it instigate someone doing something illegal they wouldn't have done on their own!

Wow, I didn't think this would cause such a backlash. I'm just curious where the workshops are, where storage is, etc., not where the money is collected or where the park on/off switch is.

I realize the need for security in and around the park, but evil people bent on causing trouble already know this information, they don't need some simple map on the net.

• Rock Star Minion

Evil people know better. It's the crazy people that you have to worry about.

The on/off switch is in that tiny building next to (west of) the TDA building. There are several switches, actually. There's one for the monorail, one for pirates in POTC, and one to turn on the brains in TDA. From 1995 to 2003, this was taped to the "off" position. Apparently, it would short-circuit if turned to on. CM Matt fixed that.

• love my friends

I have been backstage so many times on the DL side.. and honestly.. I dont know what the buildings are.. I remember once i get over there.. the only thing I DO KNOW is the round house... (close to that is a recording studio and dance studio.. rehersal hall (I think)... I get lost backstage at DL.. at DCA no problem but then I work there

Friends for life

• Basking in birthday love

Yeah, I wouldn't be comfortable specifically identifying backstage buildings. There's a reason that maps of backstage don't exist, and the specific reason is that Disney doesn't want them leaked. I have to be very careful that what I say on this board doesn't get me in trouble (and management could probably identify me pretty easily; the Opera House has a small cast), and this one's a no-brainer. But sediment's right; there's no wasted space backstage at Disneyland. It's all being used for something.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Minion

Paranoia....thy name is cast member

• Basking in birthday love

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95
    Paranoia....thy name is cast member
    Thy name is job security. Being overly cautious about sharing information never got anyone fired, and when a fellow Main Street cast member found out I was also a fellow MiceChatter, he warned me to be very careful about what I said, because he had been coached on some of his postings. The higher-ups do read these boards, you know.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• OM NOM NOM

It is not a surprise that CMs, past and present, wouldn't want to map out backstage. I for one know that Managers read this site, as I was reprimanded once for a comment I made about California Screamin' during its downtime last year.

Also, we all have the "Preserve the magic" sense built into us from the start. From the Million-Dollar Wall to the Massive Costuming Department, we know of the pains Disney has taken to maintain good show, and that a map of backstage areas would render all of their efforts useless.

All of that said, I wouldn't mind pointing out on a map what everything is, but I would refrain from mapping it out, even as an Ex-CM.
    Make something Idiot-Proof, and someone will build a better Idiot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast