Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cast member question

Greetings all.

Long time Disney fan and semi-frequent visitor to the park. (Been to both US Parks both as a child and as an adult)

My own family and I just visited The Happiest Place on Earth in March. (We just HAD to see Pirates one last time before the changes).

My son (4), and my wife and I had an amazing time and it was truly an experience I treasure. My wife grew up in California, (San Louis Obispo) and like any good Californian, worked as a Disneyland CM. When we visited, we saw some things that made us wonder.

Firstly, are cast members allowed to take their costumes home? We saw a few cast members off the clock, waiting to be picked up in the parking lot and they were still wearing their costumes from the rides/lands they worked in. We saw a Matterhorn bobsled CM smoking a cig and waiting for her ride. We saw an adventureland cast member also going home (getting in a car and driving away) still in her costume.

When my wife worked at DL years ago, the costumes stayed at the park and everyone changed in a locker room. It was all about the image and breaking the illusion of the show. Seeing a costumed CM outside of the park (smoking a cig) and/or just being outside the fantasy setting was a bit unsettling.
    Has Disney relaxed it's costume/CM policy?

Curious,
    -Prof. Griffin

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Cast member question

What I read on the board That about four - five year ago Disney have change the costumes policy. For disney to save money in washing the costumes. the pass disneyland president need to save money and start cut every where. When disney add DCA park disney did not think to build a second for the wash and locker and store of the costumes.

that what I have hear.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• Minion

You could now wear your costume home as they don't provide lockers anymore, although I think they still have to uphold the Disney image while in costume outside of the park, like not going to a bar in costume or getting into a fight, although I don't see how they would enforce that.

Actually they do provide lockers. There are plenty of day lockers for people who want to change out of their costume and get a fresh one every day. We are not forced to take our costumes home, it is an option for those who don't want the hassle of going to costuming every day. And for those who do take their costumes home it is also an option to wash them themselves or bring them back to costuming for washing. You are allowed to check out 3 sets of costumes. If you want the company to wash them you just bring them all in when they are soiled and check out another 3 sets. In my department we have permanently assigned lockers but I haven't used mine in 3-1/2 years, I take my costumes home and wash them myself.

• Neep meep beep

Actually I got into a fight with a Frontierland cast member still in costume, at a bar. Or maybe it was one of those pansy Fantasmic cast members...

• Roar!

did you win?

• Basking in birthday love

It does save quite a bit of time; on days when I wear my costume to work (now that I have a car and can, I was never quite comfortable going through the three hour public transit mess in costume), I can plan on getting to the park shortly before my shift starts, so I can be there right when it's time to clock in. If I'm not in costume, I have to plan on getting in 20-30 minutes early to be able to change. However, I don't trust the machines in my dorm, so I bring my costume back whenever I need a clean one.

I will say, though, that I don't think CMs should be using 15 minute parking in costume, and I don't think we're supposed to. I used it a fair amount before I got the car, but the only times I did it in costume were when I could wrap up in my trenchcoat and completely hide the fact that I was even in costume. It's a guest facility and should be off-limits to costumed cast.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• love my friends

yes things have changed.. we can take our costumes home with us.. but arnet allowed to smoke outside the park in costume or even use our cell phones in public view.. I do know some CM's do this.. this is totally againt DL policy

Friends for life

Thanks to all the CMs who took the time to answer my question...(actually my wife's)

Hope everyone has a great summer at Disneyland!!!

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by matterhornmaniac
    did you win?
    Uh, no... those guys are tough. Even with those wimpy yellow 80s windbreakers, I still had my um, hat handed to me.

The doctors say that soon I'll be able to see out of the left eye again, and the scar in the back is less noticeable every night. I go in for my final dental surgery in September.

Anyway, I don't want to talk about it.

You can blame D.C.A. for this change in policy.

Since D.C.A.'s costumes are designed to be part of the contemporary reality of California, I hope that Disney restricts the "Fast Track" program to only those pieces of wardrobe or to any costumes that can be dressed-down or covered.

Seeing a Disneyland host or hostess in costume but not on-stage seriously undermines the believability of the fiction at Disneyland, and seeing a D.C.A. host or hostess that way is just unprofessional.

• Minion

I like being able to take my costume home because of the commute, it saves me time, you just have to hope that most cast members follow regulations outside of Disneyland.
    Jeff Wayne

Well, Disney used to pay for part of the time it takes to dress into costume, and there was no remote parking. So, everyone's experience has been degraded by the opening of D.C.A.

• Basking in birthday love

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    Well, Disney used to pay for part of the time it takes to dress into costume, and there was no remote parking. So, everyone's experience has been degraded by the opening of D.C.A.
    They still do; cast members get a walk time of twenty minutes at the end of their shift.
    And wow, I guess no matter what the discussion is, it can result in DCA bashing. How... charming.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak
    They still do; cast members get a walk time of twenty minutes at the end of their shift.
    And wow, I guess no matter what the discussion is, it can result in DCA bashing. How... charming.
    It's good that Disney continues to pay "walk time", which is mandated by law, but I was under the impression that this amount is compensation for the time that it takes to walk from the entrance to a particular location (7-10 minutes). Disney should be paying for the amount of time a person has to spend at the wardrobe department, itself. I think the "Fast Track" option may have been devised by Disney's legal department as a way to avoid having to pay dressing time.

As for the expansion of 2001, if I took a baseball bat to D.C.A., then, that act would be bashing.

Disneyland doubled the size of its work force with the opening of D.C.A., and the company didn't have the same space for dressing rooms and wardrobe storage to which Disneyland was accustomed. Similarly, the employees had to park in a remote parking area and take shuttles on time for which the company did and still does not pay. So, the opening of D.C.A. did have a serious adverse impact on the experience of Disney employees.

In turn, this situation adversely impacts the experience of guests since they now see Disneyland personnel moving to and from the establishment in costume. D.C.A. was, at least, partially responsible for the implementation of the "Fast Track" program, and that consideration is merely one of the numerous failings of the people in Team Disney, Burbank and Team Disney, Anaheim when they planned the 2001 expansion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast