Essay: Can An Audio-Animatronic Pirate use a Gold Watch?

This essay was written after my last trip to Pirates (in March). Knowing the changes that were coming...

I want to preface this essay by saying I am a great fan of the movie Pirates of the Carribean, and I have nothing but excitement in regards to the new changes to the ride. I just wanted to give a little tribute to a hard working Pirate.

Can an Audio-Animatronic Pirate use a gold watch?
    Or
    What do you give a retiring robotic pirate?
    by
    Prof. Griffin
    Aye…I recall the day as if it were yesterday. April 19, 1967. I was given command of me first sloop, and she was a beauty. The Wicked Wench we called ‘er and she was a magnificent vessel. Fast she was, and as deadly with her guns as any ship that ever sailed. I knew my purpose on this here earth and as Gracey is my witness, I flew the colors of the Jolly Roger proudly since day one.

Oh how I set to work at once. From me first memory of being on ‘er deck, I knew of me goal. The lure of a fabled horde of treasure, the likes of which no man has laid eyes on, was our prize. Me crew (loyal cutthroats one and all) and I were all set to sack a small coastal town in the Caribbean were the secret of the treasure was rumored to be. One of them ‘town elders’ or perhaps even the mayor himself, knew the secret to finding the treasure, and we be aiming to make ‘em talk! Open the rum boys! Prep the cannons! There be squalls ahead!

We set to breaking their defenses…firing volley after volley at the stone wall that surrounded the blasted town. They fired back, with cannons of their own and we took hits. We fired again, and again, and they returned fire. I stood on the deck of the Wicked Wench (were I usually found myself, were I always was) shouting with all my strength, vowing to blast the town to pieces if they did not submit!
    “Strike yer colors ya blooming cockroachers!” “Pound ‘em lads! Pound ‘em!”

On and on the melee raged, but it seemed as though we were just not getting anywhere. Our cannons seemed to have no lasting effect, and the town soldiers taunted back, “We’re going to sink your stinkin’ ship!”
    They didn’t though. Their cannons be as ineffective as ours! I watched as our red cannonballs cooled with a splash in the water around the town, I relished the sound of the wizzing of the hot iron, and the smoke of battle. But the town be a tough one, er to be sure.

After about a month or so of hard fighting, I started to notice the little boats below.

Directly underneath me, and between us and our intended targets, there be little boats floating peacefully by…little boats filled with scurvy land-lubbers, men who looked as though they hadn’t ever seen the deck of a ship, wenches dressed in tarted-up finery and little barnacles too. Lots of wee little ones. I started noticing whole families, uncles, aunts, grandparents, and more, all floating by and staring at me with smiles. A bloomin’ parade of people floating peacefully by in the middle of me battle!

“Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate’s life for me!”

Indeed, this was my life, the pirate’s life and I lived it with ever fiber of me being. I shouted at the town wall, ordered my cannons to fire...bellowed at my men (loyal cutthroats all) and gestured threateningly.
    I waved my cutlass and grimaced with fury, from time to time glancing down and affording a sly wink to the little boats below.
    Ya see mateys, I began to love seeing the faces on the little boats. I couldn’t wait until they started by watching me in all me fury. I was putting on a grand show, and by Davey Jones, I loved it. I could see the joy I was a-bringing. I could feel the excitement from the boat people and (while it’s not in the Pirate code) I started to love my position in my never-ending attack. I truly never wanted it to end.

For almost 40 years now, I’ve stood on the deck of The Wicked Wench, eternally battling the town across the bay. Firing volley after volley, “Give ‘em a broadside!” and threatening the town.
    I gave me all…I was a pirate through and through and as Walt is my witness, I never tired of my post. Never.
    As long as I was the Captain of the Wicked Wench me heart and soul was dedicated to firing upon that town, and making the passengers on the little boats watch, smile and gasp in wide-eyed wonder.

But then one day everything stopped moving and the world was cracked open by the hands of the most powerful crew ever to appear in the Caribbean, The dreaded Imagineers. So powerful were these fabled devils, (these masters of reality) that man and beast succumbed with silence and stillness at their approach. I shuddered as I watched the very ocean water beneath me drain away as if by the hand of the eternal Marc Davis of the sea…I watched as the strangers, the Imagineers, began to destroy everything I knew.
    My boat, my freedom, my beautiful Wicked Wench, was taken away by these demon marauders. I watched with mute horror as they boarded my baby and began to make changes.

Then the cruelest cut of all. I was handled and removed! My gut-wrenched as a great secret was revealed to me… I HAD NO LEGS!! None at all! Should I live to be a thousand, I will never find the noise to express my despair at the concept. I had no sea legs, aye… I had no legs at all.

I was carried by the Imagineers to a large open area and there, laid carefully down. For the first time in almost 40 years, my view had changed. As terrifying as it was, I was strangely excited, and waited for what was to be coming next.

Aye, I discovered that I was not to return to me ship…or any ship. My days as a Captain of me own vessel was at an end. A Captain Barbossa had somehow usurped me standing and had taken control of my crew (back-stabbing cutthroats all).
    My view now is dark…and blurred beneath a sheet of clear material…a wrap of sorts that I’ve been placed in. I prayed that one of the Imagineers would at least have the decency to drive a cutlass into my heart and leave me to die with a Pirate’s pride. Alas. I lay here, legless and alone.

But mateys, I’ll let you all in on a little secret…I can still hear ‘em. Aye, Tis true. I can hear my mates a singing, I can hear the town a-burning, the cannons firing, the water splashing and I KNOW there are little boats sailing by, filled with families, men, women and children, (little barnacles) all smiling, staring and gasping at wide-eyed wonder. It’s all burned into me very being. Etched forever in me soul. Me heart swells at these glorious memory and if one of them wicked Imagineers should ever bother to look…and look carefully at me face, the face of a legless Pirate who for almost forty years commanded the most deadly vessel ever to set sail on the high seas…if they looked, they’d see very real tears.

Aye it’s a Pirates life indeed.

• Back After Missing MC

Re: Essay: Can An Audio-Animatronic Pirate use a Gold Watch?

Wow, that was great! Very entertaining and extremely well written. I love how you kept perspective and really made us see the ride from the pirate's view. Kudos!

• Artsy Fartsy

Loved it. Well done. Thanks

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

• Still lost in Neverland

Only TWO posts and already ye have brought a tear to me own eye. Well done Matey, well done indeed. You are a true storyteller and a right good one at that.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Minion

Wow.....that was awesome. I really enjoyed the essay. Almost brought a tear to me eye.

Thanks for the kind words all.

My intent was not negative. As you can tell, I love the Pirates ride...(the smell, the water, those wonderful fireflies) and look forward to it's new additions.

I just felt a little sorry for that Captain. (I bought the Captain action figure from Pieces of Eight last visit...just to remember the ol' boy.

If you all enjoyed that, I'd be only too happy to post some more essays...specifically on The Haunted Mansion, my absolute favorite place in the park(s) and my second home.

-Prof. Griffin
    Fangoria TV
    http://www.fangoriatv.com

• Minion

Amazing Essay...extremely creative. If I were youre teacher you would have gotten better than an A+ lol

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Thats a great post, they should put the captian somewhere special in the park, and give him some legs too!

• Practically Perfect

that was great! it's so sad, but very well done (it might also interest you to know that I was listening to "One LAst Shot" on the PotC soundtrack and it...was just perfect). I feel strangly sorry for that pirate...may the wind be forever at his sails!

• Senior Minion

Impressive! What a great perspective.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• Back After Missing MC

Quote Originally Posted by ProfGriffin
    If you all enjoyed that, I'd be only too happy to post some more essays...specifically on The Haunted Mansion, my absolute favorite place in the park(s) and my second home.
    Yes! That would be fun

• Still lost in Neverland

By all means, lets see the HM writings. This is certainly not a negative report. It was very well done and I think the tears were because you wrote so well, you made us feel for the Captain. And that's not an easy thing to do. So post away.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples