Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Zurg blaster

Smile Hello Mr. Lassiter!!!

and/or any other WDI members that may see this thread. This request may sound desperate, because it is. We have been planning for our trip to Disneyland since last year. We purposely chose next week to travel as we felt that the Pirates refurb would be completed by then. Alas, it doesn't sound like that is going to happen now. (Stupid movie premiere) My problem is that I have a four year old boy that lives and breathes POC, and we were hoping to catch a soft opening while we were there.

It looks like my only hope will be to make an appeal to start the new "Dreams" campaign early, and sneak us onto the ride. I promise to not take any pictures, sign any type of release form, not talk to anyone outside my immediately family until the 26th, etc....

Any CM help would be greatly appreciated.
    </IMG></IMG>
    Getting Lucky in Kentucky

• Former Epcot CM

Re: Hello Mr. Lassiter!!!

Aw. That is really sweet, and I hate to say it, but if they did that for you, they could do that for anyone and they just can't do that. I'm sorry.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• insufferable know-it-all

I don't think that's in Lassiter's control... he hasn't been in charge of stuff all that long yet.

Now, Castmember Matt, on the other hand...!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

I for one welcome our new Pixar overlord

It's always a bummer when one's favorite ride is closed for refurbishment. I'm always reminded of Clark W. Grizwald in the classic film National Lampoon's Vacation where he takes his family cross country and discovers that Wally World is closed.

The good news is that Disneyland's website (along with a slew of other websites include the one you're on right now) voraciously discuss refurbishments, movie premieres and every other piece of closing/opening minitua. Hopefully next time around your child's "dreams" won't be squashed by another closure.

I seriously doubt Mr. John Lasseter would be able to help, however you can always call, write or e-mail Disneyland's City Hall or guest services to see if they can accommodate you. Just like Tiger Wood's agent Dr. No, I'm sure your call won't be the first request to sneak into PotC before the general public denied (I mean, don't we all want in early!!! ).

Regardless, enjoy your trip. Pieces of Eight is already open. Maybe you could put on a pirate's patch, don a sword, and play Animatronic to appease your kid...

Quote Originally Posted by bauton
    and/or any other WDI members that may see this thread. This request may sound desperate, because it is. We have been planning for our trip to Disneyland since last year. We purposely chose next week to travel as we felt that the Pirates refurb would be completed by then. Alas, it doesn't sound like that is going to happen now. (Stupid movie premiere) My problem is that I have a four year old boy that lives and breathes POC, and we were hoping to catch a soft opening while we were there.

It looks like my only hope will be to make an appeal to start the new "Dreams" campaign early, and sneak us onto the ride. I promise to not take any pictures, sign any type of release form, not talk to anyone outside my immediately family until the 26th, etc....

Any CM help would be greatly appreciated.
    </IMG></IMG>

You need to address that correspondence to the executives at Buena Vista Pictures up at the Disney Studios. They are the ones calling the shots here. It's their movie, it's their movie stars faces on the new animatronics, it's their movie soundtrack playing over the rides new speakers, and it's their movie props sitting in the newly refurbished ride.

The movie folks are behind this project, and they've basically contracted out WDI to do the design/installation work for them. The guys back in TDA are just the operators of the park who make sure the kids run the ride correctly. Neither WDI or TDA has any control over when Buena Vista will allow paying customers into the ride to see all the new stuff from their movie.

At least your not going to WDW; their Pirates ride doesn't open until July 7th, almost two weeks after Disneyland's opens.

Just curious, what made you believe the refurbished ride would open to customers before the movie premiere?

• Rock Star Minion

You'll have to ask Mr. Bruckheimer for this one. He seems to think that his group of A-Listers will simply not ride a "new" POTC if it's been already seen by "people."

Lina: "'People'? I ain't 'people'! I'm a... 'A shimmering, glowing star
    in the cinema firmament. ' Say so. Right there."
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Neep meep beep

Well, the obvious question is, since the Pirates ride has had an announced opening date of the 26th, and if you came to see that attraction in particular, why didn't you take the safe bet and visit on the 26th or later? It's a risk you take if you didn't follow the scheduled opening date -- nothing is guaranteed regarding early opening.

• Rock Star Minion

My advice is to just tell him nonchalantly that it's closed and that sometimes the rides have to be closed and go right to the next attraction.

And try to change the subject if he brings it up, starting now.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

found this on mp in update for Feb 6-13:
    Pirates of the Caribbean closed March 6 June 24, 2006, for major refurbishment and show updates. Must reopen in time for Pirates of the Caribben: Dead Man's Chest in late June (movies opens nationally July 7).

• Zurg blaster

When they first announced the POC refurb, I believe the scheduled opening date was the 18th, this was before they decided to have the movie premiere. So we thought we were playing it safe by making our reservations for after the 18th. And yes I know that refurb schedules change, and I'm not holding anyone responsible and it won't ruin my vacation if POC isn't open, and I think it is too late to write TDA, WDI, and/or Bruckenheimer to make an exception, but I'm getting down to crunch time, and running out of options, and thought it couldn't hurt to make a public appeal.

BTW, will the loop and ninjas be open when POC does open?
    Getting Lucky in Kentucky

• Defying gravity

Sorry, I think you're out of luck. I hope your son won't be too disappointed. However, the refurbishment schedule for DL (including Pirates) has been out for months.

I guess it's too late to cancel/reschedule your reservations....?

•   
    • Minion

You never know... I would not be surprised if it does make an unofficial soft opening... and I would not be surprised if it doesn't... I expect nothing except what they say officially.

I also don't think anyone will know when that soft open will be... I doubt that even Ouimet knows... It will likely happen when it happens... My advice is expect it to be closed, and try not to be disapointed if it is...

But just in case, because it is awfully close, better head in that direction first... (There is always hope...) If closed, send a runner out to Space Mountain's Fast Pass pronto!!!

I don't think it is Buckenhiemer's call - it is likely WDI's call... In fact if it opens earlier all the better and more publicity for the film, says I... you don't want to have a big publicity event and elements of the ride don' work...
    Check out my other blog:

• Neep meep beep

Isn't it always better, for everything in life, to expect the worst, work hard towards the best, and then be pleasantly surprised?

• Minion

If your kid is dead set on seeing pirates theres a really cool pirate themed dinner show a few miles away in Buena Park near Knotts Berry Farm. I've heard it's alot of fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast