Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

•   
    • Prefect

Blog Entries

Re: Smart thinking or line cutting?

Quote Originally Posted by MellyMouse
    I say smart, but when I did this last year, it was the CM who told me I was line jumping and that the first person in the other line was the first person he would help. Put me in my place!
    Quote Originally Posted by ganggreen4jc
    To me, this would only be line jumping if the CM had specifically called out to the "next person in line" and you scurried past them.
    I totally agree with this. If the CM wasn't directing traffic, then there would be no reason for them to get upset at you.
    <o>

I say smart, I would've done the same thing. That's like waiting for the Matterhorn or Indiana Jones where the one line breaks off into two lines. Everytime I go, people don't seem to get it that there are in fact two lines. Even when the Cast Members tell the guests that there are two lines, they don't get it. Then, when I finally "show" them the other line is open, people in the other line become dumbfounded and say,"That line was open?"

To get upset about Haunted Mansion is lame. Yeah, you wait in line to get into the Foyer, then it's all for one. The line stays like that until you get to the marble busts. Same thing with Tower of Terror.

Don't worry ExJungleSkipper95, they were just mad because they didn't think of it first.

• Minion FOREVER!

Easy.... "Smart".

But in a similar situation, in the past, I've gone to the cashier, asked if it's open
    (although I knew it was) and told people in line about it. Thereby letting them get "ahead" of me.

Maybe that was "dumb"....

or maybe I'm too nice?

On the other hand, I've gone right in as well.... I think it all depended on how much of a hurry I was in.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Helps to have that short hair, too.

Back to topic: smart, lucky, quick.
    This is why I prefer one line, with new servicers taking the next in line. It's easier to take a servicer out of service this way as well. AKA, "The bank line method."
    Yup, and despite the longer line, the service is actually faster because of higher
    resource (server) utilization....
    multiple queues always is less efficient and the worst is "queue per server".

mathematically proven... just read any queue analysis book. :-)

• Dumptruck of Information

Overheard on Monday, 6/12/06, at the Jungle Cruise, over the PA. "To all guests waiting for the Jungle Cruise, there are two lines in the queue. One really long line, and one line with no body in it. Both lines are open for all guests to use." It was something to that effect, the line was snaking all downstairs and upstairs.

• That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by migo
    Dear MF-

I have obtained my delicate figure through many many pectoral exercises.

Love,
    The Dog
    Wow, you are super shredded, although it's kind of not fair, you have a cardio advantage with four feet, you can totally do better on the treadmill. I bet I have you beat on the elliptical though. But you can lick your but, so you still win, in the end.... (insert rim shot here please) ((no double entendre intended))

• Who's your DaddyB?

smart.

super smart.

I don't know how many times I've walked up to an empty line before park opening on a Saturday, confirmed with the castmember that it's going to be used as an entrance (they almost always open all the odd numbered gates, or all the even numbered gates on Saturdays), and watched as guests continue to build up the other lines 50 people or more deep, and totally look at me like I'm the crazy one. I can even try to wave a couple people on over when we make eye contact, and... "nope. not budging".

sheep.
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    Yup, and despite the longer line, the service is actually faster because of higher
    resource (server) utilization....
    multiple queues always is less efficient and the worst is "queue per server".

mathematically proven... just read any queue analysis book. :-)
    Really? I should learn some math sometime. Or, in this case, "Operations Research."
    Also, I think you mean that the wait time is shorter. I'm not sure how a queuing strategy can affect the service time.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Yeah, people are definitely in sheep mode when they're at Disneyland. We've noticed it so much in ride lines, especially Haunted Mansion and Thunder Mountain. You were perfectly correct in going to the empty line, but the CM really should have been calling out for the next guest in line rather than just standing there.

• Basking in birthday love

Quote Originally Posted by CaptPhoebus
    Overheard on Monday, 6/12/06, at the Jungle Cruise, over the PA. "To all guests waiting for the Jungle Cruise, there are two lines in the queue. One really long line, and one line with no body in it. Both lines are open for all guests to use." It was something to that effect, the line was snaking all downstairs and upstairs.
    "We're running a special today at the Jungle Cruise: two lines for the price of one!" There's a few different spiels to try and get people to use both sides, that's the only one I know off-hand.

I've noticed that, when the line at a ride splits, it's almost always the left side that moves faster. (Except at Jungle, where the right one is generally quicker.) I guess people just have a tendency to gravitate to their right. (Except, of course, when they're in the walkways during a parade...)

I've used the "two sides open, no guests on one" trick at Star Dinerz a couple of times. If the line is really long, the cashier will usually serve a couple of people before turning to me, but it's still lots faster.

I remember when I was younger and researching strategies for our trip to Disneyland, one website advised that unless one side is blocked by a trash can or chain, both sides are open, and most people tend to gravitate to one side. That was at least six or seven years ago. Kind of amusing that nothing has changed.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    Easy.... "Smart".

But in a similar situation, in the past, I've gone to the cashier, asked if it's open
    (although I knew it was) and told people in line about it. Thereby letting them get "ahead" of me.

Maybe that was "dumb"....

or maybe I'm too nice?

On the other hand, I've gone right in as well.... I think it all depended on how much of a hurry I was in.
    That's like finding a bag full of money and foolishly asking people around you "Hey man, did you loose these thousands of dollars? Oh you did? Wow, good thing I found it for ya!"......maybe it is being too nice, but youre almost asking for people to take advantage of you at that point.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Smart. If you snooze, you lose.

This coming from someone who was stuck in gridlock today, went off roading OVER the curb, over weeds, cans, rocks and dirt, plowed through some political signs, and made my right hand turn while the rest of the cars were waiting to go through the signal. No line cutting. Just blazing a new trail...you know...like the pioneers. After 20 minutes of sitting in line and going nowhere, sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

It may be sucking up some big time gas, but there are times when having an SUV comes in REAL handy!

Roads?
    Who needs roads?

• Basking in birthday love

Where we're going, we don't need... roads.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

• Ian The Fox

You were being smart, there. It's those people's own faults that they didn't realize that another line was available, not yours.
    Woof!

• I Hug My Tapirs

Add my vote for smart. I do that kind of thing myself all the time, especially at the entrance plaza. On more than one occasion I've walked almost right up to the gates when the lines were out into the middle of the esplanade just because I was looking carefully at what gates were open!
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast