Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Dumptruck of Information

Re: Improving Nutrition at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    As a vegetarian who avoids eating dairy and egg products and who prefers whole-grain breads, as well as foods without added oil and sugar, I would like Disneyland to offer healthier menu items that taste good and that show some thought. A few of the current offerings are, indeed, outstanding, such as the Vegetarian Corn Chowder at the Pacific Wharf Cafe
    Not sure if you are aware of this, but the Corn Chowder at the Pacific Wharf is not vegetarian, or at least not to your vegetarian standards. Here's what the menu board says for this soup:

Santa Rosa Corn Chowder
    - Plump corn kernels simmered with potatoes and roasted red bell peppers in a zesty chili bisque, then topped with chives and diced ham.

Not counting the ham, which they add as a garnish, the "broth" it's simmered in is a bisque. Any soups called a bisque have added milk and/or cream. The definition of the word bisque says that it's a thick, rich soup consisting of pureed seafood/fowl/vegetables and cream.

If you are avoiding such uses of dairy, then your better bet at the Wharf is their Vegetarian Chili.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptPhoebus
    Not sure if you are aware of this, but the Corn Chowder at the Pacific Wharf is not vegetarian, or at least not to your vegetarian standards. Here's what the menu board says for this soup:

Santa Rosa Corn Chowder - Plump corn kernels simmered with potatoes and roasted red bell peppers in a zesty chili bisque, then topped with chives and diced ham.

Not counting the ham, which they add as a garnish, the "broth" it's simmered in is a bisque. Any soups called a bisque have added milk and/or cream. The definition of the word bisque says that it's a thick, rich soup consisting of pureed seafood/fowl/vegetables and cream.

If you are avoiding such uses of dairy, then your better bet at the Wharf is their Vegetarian Chili.
    Actually, I've been really impressed with the Pacific Wharf Cafe because it does try to do more than some other restaurants at Disneyland. I don't know if that observation is because of the relationship with Boudin or just because the location seems better managed.

I used to take Metrolink with a manager responsible for the business unit that encompassed the three restaurants in the wharf, and she's the one that directed me to the corn chowder. She showed me the list of ingredients, and the "chicken" stock that is used is vegetarian.

I'm addicted to that soup. It's my favorite menu item in the whole resort.

Disney should do nothing. You should just learn to eat meat because it tastes better than vegetables.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Quote Originally Posted by crazydiamond
    Disney should do nothing. You should just learn to eat meat because it tastes better than vegetables.
    Then you've clearly been eating the wrong vegetables. Try something besides iceburg lettuce.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

A few possibilities (more on the way):

Ethiopian Food (Adventureland)

Ethiopians eat??

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Un-PC, I know.

• For You!

My friend is Gluten intolerant and she just called the disneyland services number and asked what she could eat. An actual chef called her back and told her all the menu items that were available! So, if you're looking, there ya go!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

Ethiopian food is actually quite good. Simple stewed/spiced meats, vegetables, and beans/peas/legumes, eaten with injeera. NUM!
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

• Food & Whine Aficianado

How about a health food and/or spa-cuisine themed restaurant in DCA? Seems very "California" to me...they could poke some gentle fun at hippie/healthy/new-agey stereotypes but still deliver a quality product. I'd eat there, if only to help alleviate my guilt from rampant churro abuse.
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

• Food & Whine Aficianado

...and thanks to my friend in Chicago, the menu's already done: http://www.greenzebrachicago.com/menu.html
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

• Professional Chocoholic

What a wonderful thread! I'm a vegetarian too. I got all complainy on the Blue Bayou thread on just this topic. Basically, when I went there last fall, here's what I ate for the 3 days we were there:

Fruit from the carts

Salad

Nachos without the meat at Zocolo

Specially made pasta primavera at the BB for one meal (it was okay... one of the only things I'm allergic to is mushrooms or I woulda got the portobello thing)

Kid's mac & cheese (blech)

I think they had some kind of Stouffer's veggie lasagna with the creamy white sauce (blech)

Churros (yummy but heavy and I could feel my arteries filling with each bite)

Some kind of dried out kebob thing in Adventureland that needed tons of sauce

Not exactly scintillating choices for the vegetarians, eh? And they used to have Gardenburgers, but those are gone now. I didn't really look forward to mealtimes, frankly. And we didn't spend more than about 4 hours in California Adventure so I have no idea what they sell over there. I guess I should check, it sounds like there may be more vegetarian options... but you know, at the end of a long, footsore day, I really don't want to hoof it all the way across the hot cement to Crappyland just to get something I can actually eat.

I still marvel that a forward-thinking place like Disneyland, located in California, which has millions of guests from Europe and Japan, can't seem to figure out how to offer much healthy/meatless food that actually tastes good and doesn't make people break out in hives for a week (mushrooms are a pretty common food alergy).

I'm thinking of brown-bagging it next year. 8-(((

• Animatronic

I'm not a vegitarian, but I would like to see better themed food and a lot more food choices. I'm really looking forward to the Finding Nemo sushi.

The funny thing is that most of the following that I mentioned was served at one time inside Disneyland and D.C.A.

Aladdin's Oasis had the hummus. The vegetarian chili is currently being served at the Pacific Wharf Cafe. Corn-on-the-cob and a relatively unhealthy cornbread were served at Big Thunder Barbecue. And, the bruschetta was available during the food and wine festival.

The popcorn and the butter should be available separately, and the vegetarian, but high-fat refried beans and canned salsa at Rancho del Zocalo might be easily replaced if the Ortega relationship would allow such a change.

Eating and cooking in a healthy way is not that difficult, and it usually leads to tastier, more flavorful, and more creative dishes that provide lasting energy and put people in good moods.

A few possibilities (more on the way):

Popcorn without Butter or Oil

Hummus with Artichokes or Olives, plus Pita Bread (Adventureland)

Indian Food, such as Potato Bajii and Chana Masala (Adventureland)

Ethiopian Food (Adventureland)

Vegetarian Chili (Frontierland)

Corn-on-the-Cob and Cornbread (Frontierland)

Black-Bean Burritos with Fresh Salsas (Frontierland)

Bruschetta (D.C.A.)

Bruschetta with Olive Tapenade (D.C.A.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pugman
    How about a health food and/or spa-cuisine themed restaurant in DCA? Seems very "California" to me...they could poke some gentle fun at hippie/healthy/new-agey stereotypes but still deliver a quality product. I'd eat there, if only to help alleviate my guilt from rampant churro abuse.
    When I went to D.C.A. for the first time, the only restaurant that was open when my party was hungry was Taste Pilot's Grill, which had zero vegetarian and healthy menu items. But, Farmer's Market, which has since been closed, opened an hour or two later, and that restaurant prominently featured "wraps" and a pretty decent menu with lighter and healthier fare.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

If there is one thing that the members on this board seem to agree on it is that guests leave their brains at home. That includes food purchases. And frankly if the market was there for these items the items would be there.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    And frankly if the market was there for these items the items would be there.
    With all due respect, I disagree because Disney has a captive audience that is forced, for the most part, to eat from the options the company provides, if said audience wants to visit a Disney theme park.

I even look at this situation as Walt Disney might. Why can't healthy food taste as good or better than food that is not healthy? And, why can food that tastes especially good not be healthy?

I can tell you that I don't sacrifice taste when I eat, but the things I choose still are as healthy as most anything else available in restaurants. The food I have has good amounts of high-quality vegetable protein and fiber, so it's both filling and satisfying, as well. Cooks that rely on fat and sugar to provide flavor are either ignorant or uninspired. And, Disney will always offer the high-fat options for those guests who have acquired a taste for rich foods. But, many southern Californians do expect healthy options wherever they go and especially when they have to spend an entire day or several days someplace.

There are some incredible restaurants on the Westside that specialize in great, healthy food, such as The Newsroom in Beverly Hills and Real Food Daily near the Beverly Center. And, it's pretty common, for example, for pizza places here to offer whole-grain crusts and soy cheese.

Healthy and great-tasting, hearty food is, in my opinion, just another part of the Utopian idealism Walt Disney wanted with EPCOT. So much death and disease could be avoided with some simple dietary changes. And, people would look and feel better in the process. Those are the reasons I'm conscious of the nutritional value of the food I eat. I just wish it wasn't as hard as it is to enjoy Disneyland and stay healthy at the same time.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast