Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Neep meep beep

Re: Improving Nutrition at Disneyland

I love the Newsroom! Great choices there, and great bread! And don't forget Good Earth in Westwood and elsewhere in the west side!

Yeah, The Newsroom is probably my favorite restaurant in all of southern California, food-wise. And, almost all the items on the menu are vegetarian.

Disney should be looking at the way The Newsroom designs its menu for some guidance as to what might be done at Disneyland to go beyond the obligatory steamed vegetables and vegetarian hamburgers.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    ...I'm really looking forward to the Finding Nemo sushi.
    I am too, Lore!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    With all due respect, I disagree because Disney has a captive audience that is forced, for the most part, to eat from the options the company provides, if said audience wants to visit a Disney theme park.
    Would you buy more food at Disneyland if they offered healthier choices?

How about the fish served at Ariel's Grotto? What does she care? She's human now.

Les poissons anybody... ? Flounder... ? Stuffed crab... ?

Really, though, a seafood restaurant should probably not be named after a girl who is half fish. It's all just a tad too Hannibal Lechter, especially since the spineless, savage, harpooning fish-eaters happen to also be the patrons.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 06-15-2006 at 11:25 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Uhhhg, poor Marlin >_<

But with that said, if Disneyland had sushi, I'd totally flip. I know they have it in DTD and all, but, eh...I prefer to stay within the park.

• Wishing I was at the DLR!

I'm sure Disney will still cater to the churro crowd. But, over 600,000 annual passport holders are out there, and not all of them want to eat junk food every time they visit Disneyland.
    ...and that's why DL offers healthier menu options now. I think this goes down to supply and demand...

Besides, I really don't think of Disneyland as being part of the same class of establishments that make cotton candy and corndogs a part of their culture.
    Hmmm... Yes, we all know how DL is above the rest...but DL has made corndogs & cotton candy part of their culture, otherwise they would not be selling those items for as many years as they have. How many people make it part of their DL traditions to buy either corndogs, dolewhips, cotton candy, name-your-poison-here, when they are at DL? It's definitely part of DL culture, no matter how un-classy it may be.

Who would have thought that corndogs & cotton candy would be the great equalizer?

Anyway, just my opinion ...(she says, as she snacks on carrot sticks...)

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by Angelica Gracey
    You know it's a nice idea you have.. BUT, the reality of it is that the majority of folks who go to Disneyland, (and other Carnival/Theme Parks ) want the bad food!
    </IMG>
    I thought that was one of the reasons we went.
    I know I eat well for a time period before I go so I can make up for it at Disneyland.
    And to be fair...Disney does have many options for those watching what they eat.
    They may not be perfect, but they do a pretty good job to cater to most of the population. Remember, they look at numbers. If they think it will sell, they'll do it. Disney has a heart, but it does need to stay alive.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Minion

I eat the salads they sell at DL. Most food/fruit carts have some sort of salad.
    So do most restarants, they have many selections at the pizza port for example.

Interestingly, Walt Disney explicitly directed his people to not sell cotton candy and only during the last few years, when Pressler was in charge, did outdoor vending begin selling the stuff.

Also, corndogs were introduced when the Little Red Wagon was added, and this is the only place in all of Disneyland where corndogs are available. So, Disneyland was founded with an operational tone that was different from that of carnivals and other amusement parks, and only recently has this way of operating been subverted by people like Pressler.

The funnel cakes and spun sugar are cheap to make, and Disney can sell this food for high prices. So, the high profit margins are the principal reason this kind of food is available in the parks, now. But, whether or not the presence of such things degrades the Disneyland experience is a subject for another thread. I just want more wholesome and interesting food options available to me when I visit.

• Minion

O.k....here's some menu choices I want to see too

I want some carne asada, with real beans and real spanish rice served, none of this generic Taco Bell crap they currently service. I want the salsa to be freshly made every morning by real mexicans who know what salsa is supposed to taste like. I want the tortillas to be handmade all day everyday like they make them at Chevy's. No, forget that. I want OLD SCHOOL tortillas. I want to see women on their knees, grinding the corn with stones. In fact, I want the corn and all the vegetables to be grown right there at the ranch, along with the meat for my carne asada.

I figure if they are gonna cater to your healthy habits, I want them to cater to my mexican habits

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95
    You can eat all the plants in Tomorrowland because they claim they are all edible. Another healthy alternative is the grass located in most enclosed areas. Grass is good for you! My dog eats it all the time and he's always so thin and healthy and has a shiny coat!
    My cats eat grass but not for their coats. I believe it is to help with their digestive systems.................

• Back After Missing MC

Quote Originally Posted by aerinpegadrak
    It's a vacation destination. Vacation calories don't count. People at Disneyland aren't generally looking for balanced, healthy meals; they're looking for glucose NOW so they have enough energy to get them through a couple more hours. Heck, at the cast cafes we have all sorts of relatively healthy options, but I still get the Cherry Coke and chocolate Donettes before most of my shifts.
    I would have to agree with aerinpegadrak, most people who visit DL are looking for fun food, not healthy alternatives. Vacations are an escape from reality (and diets). It is a time to splurge and eat all those fatty foods you normally would resist.

I am a vegetarian (living in the beef capital I get quite a few raised eyebrows) so I can relate to a certain degree. However, since I have been a vegetarian my entire life I learned to never expect to find "healthy" non-meat options when I go out to eat or go on vacation. In the times I have been to DL I have never had a problem finding vegetarian options. Healthy options on the other hand are on short supply but once again, this is a vacation destination, not the office cafeteria where you eat every day. I try to eat "good" during the week and when I am living my normal life but when we eat out or have the splendid opportunity to take a trip I allow myself to indulge. I understand that there are AP holders who go to the park on a regular basis but once again I feel that is still a special occasion, just like when we go to the movies or attend a hockey game, and it is a time to enjoy yourself and not count calories.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against them offering some healthy options, especially for those who have diet allergies or limitations, but honestly don't feel that they are in high enough demand to merit a large portion of the menus. I am basing this opinion on the number of McDonald's compared to veggie wrap delis across the nation, not any cold hard facts. I could be wrong and there might be an entire health conscious/vegetarian/Disneyland lovers community out there that is totally ignored but from this partially health conscious, totally vegetarian, avid Disneyland lover I am more than happy to indulge in a churro or two and never look back with regret.

Edited to note: As some of the other posts on this thread have noted, some of the menus are based on demand. Proof of what people "demand" can be seen by just taking a look at some of the other threads on this site. For example, the "Favorite Food Purchase at DLR" thread (http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...=favorite+food) which did not list anything remotely healthy (and made me quite hungry as well).
    Last edited by LlamaLover; 06-15-2006 at 12:50 PM.

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

Even though I don't go very often, I'd love it if they had an organic resturant or something of the sort. Don't get me wrong, I love churros (never had a DL one though!) as much as the next schmoe, but it would be nice to have some place where I could eat at that would level off the guilt-o-meter.

And I'm not an AP, but I could imagine that someone who goes quite often can't afford to "forget calories" ALL the time.

Mmmmm.. organic food.... :0)

-Violet

• Banned User

Hmm.. this does make a good point.. not everyone can enjoy the same stuff..

Because of this DL & WDW should introduce other items, which are a different thing. Like sushi for my sister who loves it... (Sell it with the hot dogs in fantasyland at MK.. lol) and add more items that are healthier.. and less fry carts... (but don’t touch figaro fries in Fantasyland's restaurant..)

(Except mostly everyone can enjoy dole whips, add more.... )

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast