Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Back After Missing MC

Re: Improving Nutrition at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by Missviolet
    Even though I don't go very often, I'd love it if they had an organic resturant or something of the sort. Don't get me wrong, I love churros (never had a DL one though!) as much as the next schmoe, but it would be nice to have some place where I could eat at that would level off the guilt-o-meter.

And I'm not an AP, but I could imagine that someone who goes quite often can't afford to "forget calories" ALL the time.

Mmmmm.. organic food.... :0)

-Violet
    Solid point Missviolet. I agree there should be options but to expand on that I feel they should not overshadow or even equal the menu items that are in the highest demand (which are normally not the healthiest items).

I also agree that if you are an AP holder that goes all the time you could not afford (weight and wallet) to eat the majority of the food offered at DL. However, as some of the other posts have noted, there are quite a few options around the park that would offer lower-fat/calories options than the churros for example. If you are an avid AP then you probably know where these options are and would take advantage of them. Power to the people who have more strength than me to turn down a churro or pineapple whip for a salad

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

HA! salad schmalad :0) Although I DO love a good salad... I don't know... you can only eat so many salads during a vacation. :0)

Oh! You know waht would be good? One of those MOngolian BBQ's! Where you pick your veggies and mean (or lack thereof) and noodles and then mix a sauce... Take it up to the big grill thing and the employee cooks it right there. Healthy, veggie, meaty and filling!

*score!* one for me! :0)

<3

Violet

• Back After Missing MC

Oh! You know waht would be good? One of those MOngolian BBQ's! Where you pick your veggies and mean (or lack thereof) and noodles and then mix a sauce... Take it up to the big grill thing and the employee cooks it right there. Healthy, veggie, meaty and filling!

*score!* one for me! :0)

<3

Violet
    That is a great idea Missviolet! I ate at one of those in Chicago and fell in love. We have one that opened up not too long ago here in town that I may have to go try since you have me craving it now!

• Neep meep beep

This board, and it's members, go NUTS over the Monte Crisco ... sorry, "Cristo", Dole Whips, and Churros, and you want to replace them with organic vegetarian options? Wow, good luck.

Let me know when I can visit PragmaticIdealist's VegetarianLand!

Heck no! We're not talking about REPLACING any of those super tasty goodies. Rather, expanding what is available. You can have a Model T and any color as long as it's black? Variety is the Spice of life!!

:0)

• Neep meep beep

So then, you mean ORGANIC vegetarian monte cristos, dole whips, and churros?

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    the vegetarian, but high-fat refried beans and canned salsa at Rancho del Zocalo might be easily replaced if the Ortega relationship would allow such a change.
    It's a vacationers paradise. Get over it and either belly up to the [salad] bar or welcome a few vacation pounds with the rest of us.

The funny thing is that your posting constantly that these items used to be there and they aren't anymore. Wonder why that could be? Perhaps that it's not that they haven't tried, but there wasn't any real response that made them worth continuing?

With the way Disney foods is going right now, I'll take less expensive food over healthier food.

Corn dogs and cotton candy might not be part of Disneyland culture, but fritters and the monte cristo sandwich is. Welcome to your vacation.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 06-15-2006 at 03:24 PM.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Why, sounds a lot like something familar...

Now we just need to figure out how to get it duplicated out here!

• Neep meep beep

Ethiopian food is great. I used to have it a lot in Washington DC, and there a a number of nice restaurants in South West Los Angeles also. Good times and healthy cuisine.

They could probably do organic cristos, but I don't know about the other two. I'm not saying get rid of the greasy, tasty food, just maybe have one or two places where you could get some pasta (I know BB has a kids pasta, but ..no) or maybe a sub shop (by the nemo subs, perhaps) where you can put what you want on your sub (a la Quiznos?) ... make it a veggie sub (with or without mushrooms :0) or a hulking meat sub... just something in addition to greasy pizza, cristos, popcorn, churros, funnle cakes and ect. no one was suggesting taking away the classics, just adding to the menu. Maybe the could have nutrition pamphlets telling you what's good for diabetic, low fat, low salt, vegitarian, vegan, glueten-free diets.
    Just becasue it's a vacation doesn't mean that EVERYONE can eat what they want. Some people are allergic / against certian things... even if it is a vacation.

See the Mongolian BBQ is like this

Just my thoughts. :0)

<3

• Neep meep beep

And great thoughts they are. But they already have handouts at City Hall for people that have specific diets, on what they can eat. So what would we be changing, really?

JUst more of a variety, I guess.

• Dumptruck of Information

With all due respect, I disagree because Disney has a captive audience that is forced, for the most part, to eat from the options the company provides, if said audience wants to visit a Disney theme park.
    Disney does not have a captive audience for it's Disneyland guests. Disney World, maybe (but that's another discussion), but not Disneyland. There's literally hundreds of restaurants within a 5 mile radius of Disneyland. There are all types of cuisine, so I'm sure one could find something that they could eat. One just has to do a little research and planning to figure it out. There are plenty of restaurants featuring more california cuisine, vegetarian/vegan, and ethnic foods (check out Little Saigon) that are more on a healthier tone.

With dietary restrictions (self imposed or not), one has to seriously plan out ahead of time on restaurants/food selection, especially on a vacation (Disneyland or otherwise). Just like all other aspects of vacation planning, food selection should be a big part. If individual eats a certain way, does one expect the rest of the world to eat like that one person?

In regards to Disneyland, it's a business first. Its main drive is to generate profits. If their bottom line is not aversely effected, why should they change? Food costs are expensive, and desicions are based on what the majority of people eat. It's a give/take situation, would one rather have fresher food products thats recycled within a couple days, or food that's been sitting in fridges and serving lines for days, even as long as a week (if it's not discoloring/growing mold, don't toss it)? The menus at Disney are set up to be streamlined and able to service guests quickly (well, in theory that is). Hence why one tends to see more burgers, fries, pasta, soups, pizza and salads.

But in all fairness to Disneyland, they do try to accomodate those with special dietary needs whenever possible. City hall and restaurant leads/managers/chefs will be able to assist you in identifying possible dietary problems, if one had any questions. Call ahead of visits to guest relations (714) 781-7290 and one will be surprised on how willing they will be to work with that said person. I believe they go as far as creating custom meals for a person, as long as one gives them a few days notice. What food they offer now is still a vast improvement in healthier eating choices than 10 years ago. There are now choices like grilled chicken sandwiches and turkey sandwiches (okay, they're not vegetarian, but hey, it's an improvement to having just hamburgers).

I just wish it wasn't as hard as it is to enjoy Disneyland and stay healthy at the same time.
    There's much more to being healthy than just eating the "right" foods. Excercise is just as vital to keeping healthy. And there is plenty of exercise to be had at Disneyland, lots of good cardio done by just walking around. One can easily walk a couple miles in a day (more if you like to cross lands when going from attraction to attraction). Can even add some strength training by pushing a wheelchair or stroller (yes I said stroller).

As to eating "healthy" at the park, consider packing food from home and using the picnic area. Not only is it cheaper, but one also controls just what exactly they are eating. Also, talk with City Hall about the dining choices, use the suggestion cards. They do take every suggestion seriously, but just don't expect to see a change overnight.

• Tourist

Eating and cooking in a healthy way is not that difficult, and it usually leads to tastier, more flavorful, and more creative dishes that provide lasting energy and put people in good moods.
    We like to get to the park as soon as it opens, and what always gives me energy and puts me in a good mood is caffein and sugar, followed by a creative dish of "Mickey Mouse Pancakes" at the River Belle Terrace. If I need an energy boost after that, I get a churro and a Dole whip.

Heck, I put myself in a good mood by just thinking about it..

• Zero Blockout Dates

http://www.mouseplanet.com/drr/drrkosher.htm

Dining at the Resort
    Diet and Kosher Meals
    Vegetarian Diets
    The 2001 expansion of the Disneyland Resort brought a wealth of food types to the area, and many more choices for vegetarians. Sadly, there is not a standout anywhere in the resort for vegetarian eating, and true vegans will have an even harder time. You can find salads almost anywhere, of course. The Plaza Inn can make you a vegetarian cobb salad, for one. Any restaurant is willing to alter standard dishes to your liking, provided you can wait (I'm thinking here of the pizza salad at Redd Rockett's Pizza Port).
    Be very wary of "hidden" meat products or by-products. Most of the sauces and dressings are not dairy-free. If in doubt, and it's important, ask that the lead or manager double-check with the chef, who should know.
    In general, the Disney Resort Hotels have offerings which are much more vegetarian-friendly. Don't forget to check out soups also as options!
    Within Disneyland, you might also try the Veranda's vegetable gumbo in a breadbowl, or garden burgers at Hungry Bear, or Garden sandwiches on Main Street.
    Lo-Carb Diets
    If your diet calls for no carbohydrates, you are in for an inconvenient time at the Disneyland Resort. The best options here are the meat and/or vegetable skewers at the Bengal Barbecue. You may of course elect to get a burger or sandwich and not eat the bread, but this is expensive, messy, and ultimately not satisfying enough. A better option is the sit-down restaurants, where you can order a plate of food (usually meat, vegetables, and potatoes) and request extra veggies in place of potato.
    With the popularity of controlled carb diets increasing in recent months, the restaurants seem more aware of low-carb options, and won't blink when you request a modification.
    Food Allergies
    Those Guests with specific food allergies (or gluten-free requirements) may have a very difficult time at the Resort; plan on mealtimes taking twice as long as they would otherwise.
    Contrary to myth, City Hall or the DCA Guest Relations Lobby do not stock folders with all ingredients for all menu items (that would be a lot of work).
    Your best option is to speak with the hourly manager ("lead"), assistant manager or chef at the restaurant. Simply ask for one when you first arrive at the restaurant of your choice. In general, you will find chefs most available if you visit buffeterias or table-service locations.
    Tell the chef/manager/lead what your restrictions are, and ask if they are willing to prepare something special for you. Know that you won't save any money this way, and you will likely have to wait thirty or so minutes for it. But, and this is important, DO NOT TAKE "NO" FOR AN ANSWER. They can make something. You will find much less of this attitude if you visit when the restaurant is not normally busy (so avoid busy lunch and dinner hours).
    For very severe allergies, you may want to coordinate with Disneyland guest relations. With enough advance planning, the park chefs can help you to plan your meals and discuss your options.
    Kosher Meals
    There are no kosher meals available at the moment at Disney's California Adventure.
    At Disneyland Park, prepackaged kosher meals can by purchased for $11.39 (excluding tax and tip) at the Plaza Inn on Main Street and at The Blue Bayou in New Orleans Square.
    Meal choices:
    Salisbury Steak
    Oriental Chicken
    Chicken Mediterranean
    Stuffed Cabbage
    Linguini
    All meals come with a drink and a piece of fruit
    Kosher meals can also be purchased at all Disneyland Resort Hotel restaurants (except for Yamabuki's at The Paradise Pier Hotel) for $21.95 (excluding tax and tip). At Goofy's Kitchen at The Disneyland Hotel the price is the same as the cost of the buffet.
    Meal choices:
    Roast Turkey
    Roast Chicken
    Salisbury Steak
    Broiled Salmon
    You can let the reservations agent at the Disney Dine Line know you need a kosher meal and/or you can inform the check-in host/hostess at the restaurant. It will likely take 15 to 20 minutes, minimum, for your order to be ready. They will provide you with the meal and its original packaging as proof of the meal's kosher value.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast