Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Improving Nutrition at Disneyland

As a vegetarian who avoids eating dairy and egg products and who prefers whole-grain breads, as well as foods without added oil and sugar, I would like Disneyland to offer healthier menu items that taste good and that show some thought. A few of the current offerings are, indeed, outstanding, such as the Vegetarian Corn Chowder at the Pacific Wharf Cafe, but some variety would be nice. After all, vegetarians comprise about ten percent of the population, and, when they are at Disneyland, they don't have many alternatives.

I'd also like to see Disney make available ingredients and nutritional information, including amino-acid profiles, so that guests can make better decisions regarding the food they ingest.

Does anyone have suggestions as to the different kinds of healthy menu items Disneyland can offer in certain areas?

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Improving Nutrition at Disneyland

Fried Chicken Dinner at Plaza Inn, hold the Fried Chicken. Get Mashed potatoes, green beans.
    All a veggie has to do is ask, and there are plenty of options.
    For someone who won't eat anything (wheat, dairy, peanuts, etc.), there is a simple solution: don't eat anything. There.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

10% of the population for vegetarians seems a little high to me. I'm betting a vegetarian organization came up with that statistic.

And the average theme park customer, consumers of Big-American-MegaCorporations who drive their non-hybrid car into Mickey & Friends Parking Structure and likes Disney and Coca-Cola and General Motors and Chevron often doesn't fall into the same demographic as the hard-core vegan that makes up part of that 10%. I'd be willing to bet the percentage of Disneyland customers that are vegetarian is in the 5% to 7% range on any given day.

But even if they are 10% of the population at Disneyland, then about 10% of the menu items should be vegetarian. And I think Disneyland meets that quota with their current veggie offerings, in addition to the ability to alter or omit certain meat items from existing non-vegetarian menu offerings.

Disneyland shouldn't revamp entire menus to satisfy a very small percentage, say 10%, of the paying customers. That wouldn't be a good business decision.
    Last edited by TP2000; 06-14-2006 at 02:45 PM.

• Minion

Talking Re: Improving Nutrition at Disneyland

You can eat all the plants in Tomorrowland because they claim they are all edible. Another healthy alternative is the grass located in most enclosed areas. Grass is good for you! My dog eats it all the time and he's always so thin and healthy and has a shiny coat!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000
    10% of the population for vegetarians seems a little high to me. I'm betting a vegetarian organization came up with that statistic.

But even if they are 10% of the population, then about 10% of the menu items should be vegetarian. And I think Disneyland meets that quota with their current veggie offerings, in addition to the ability to alter or omit certain meat items from existing non-vegetarian menu offerings.

Disneyland shouldn't revamp entire menus to satisfy a very small percentage, say 10%, of the paying customers. That wouldn't be a good business decision.
    What's next? Kosher menus? Menus for Muslims? Where does this madness end?!

• Minion

If they're going to start changing menus in order to feel specific requests, then they need to do something with the "Gumbo" they serve in NOS. It's anything but...

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95
    You can eat all the plants in Tomorrowland because they claim they are all edible. Another healthy alternative is the grass located in most enclosed areas. Grass is good for you! My dog eats it all the time and he's always so thin and healthy and has a shiny coat!
    My dog eats grass, too, but only when she's sick and then she throws it all up and seems fine afterwards. I don't think I want to eat grass.

A few possibilities (more on the way):

Popcorn without Butter or Oil

Hummus with Artichokes or Olives, plus Pita Bread (Adventureland)

Indian Food, such as Potato Bajii and Chana Masala (Adventureland)

Ethiopian Food (Adventureland)

Vegetarian Chili (Frontierland)

Corn-on-the-Cob and Cornbread (Frontierland)

Black-Bean Burritos with Fresh Salsas (Frontierland)

Bruschetta (D.C.A.)

Bruschetta with Olive Tapenade (D.C.A.)

• Ian The Fox

10% doesn't seem too high for me. In fact, here in California, the numbers might be higher. I have several vegetarian friends.

For food, I could see where DIsneyland could do a bit better. A lot of the more upscale places (such as the Blue Bayou) offer vegetarian options if you ask for them.
    Woof!

• Wishing I was at the DLR!

You know it's a nice idea you have.. BUT, the reality of it is that the majority of folks who go to Disneyland, (and other Carnival/Theme Parks ) want the bad food! Yes we know it's bad for us, but it's our vacation, and we can afford to eat Popcorn with oil *and* butter. When we go back home we can behave... When I'm at DLR, I want the Corndogs, fries etc... all the items I don't eat at home. I look at it as splurging.. I think it's part of the Carnival/Theme Park culture. I mean where else can folks buy gi-normus lollipops, and turkey legs and eat them proudly as they do in the park? You don't see this outside the parks... at least I don't.

I myself choose to not eat refined sugar, yet I wish DLR offered sugar-free/no sugar added deserts! I do buy the sugar-free/no sugar added chocolates they do offer. If they offered sugar-free/no sugar added ice-cream I'd eat that too! Gosh, I'm all of sudden feeling like Templeton the rat from "Charlottes Web" at the Carnival...

Anyway, it's a nice idea, but I don't think many folks will jump on the bandwagon for a healthier menu, unless of course there is some buttered popcorn popped in oil on that wagon...
    </IMG>

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Schmielsen
    My dog eats grass, too, but only when she's sick and then she throws it all up and seems fine afterwards.

Perhaps this should become a menu for Bulemics!

We're talking "specialty menus" here after all!

disclaimer: I know Bulemia is a serious disease, but
    people were making religious comments before too...
    please see the HUMOR in this post and don't flame me
    in PM and/or Reputation!

I'm not sure how popular some of those food choices you listed would be. I don't have any diet limitations--but I still try to be careful about what I put in my body and I do think Disneyland has introduced healthier options over the years. I've seen lots of salads offered at the various restaurants and they have fruit and vegetable carts that at one time would have been unheard of. I think they're trying to offer healthier selections that at the same time appeal to a great number of people.

I'm sure Disney will still cater to the churro crowd. But, over 600,000 annual passport holders are out there, and not all of them want to eat junk food every time they visit Disneyland.

Besides, I really don't think of Disneyland as being part of the same class of establishments that make cotton candy and corndogs a part of their culture.

The California Food and Wine Festival had a few items that were a little more sophisticated and nutrition-conscious.

I'd like to see parts of that festival made permanent, in fact.

• Basking in birthday love

It's a vacation destination. Vacation calories don't count. People at Disneyland aren't generally looking for balanced, healthy meals; they're looking for glucose NOW so they have enough energy to get them through a couple more hours. Heck, at the cast cafes we have all sorts of relatively healthy options, but I still get the Cherry Coke and chocolate Donettes before most of my shifts.

Cinderella IV: The Bloodening

"It's okay, Beaker, we're scientists. We get paid to fail."

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast