Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Desert Inn and Suites

I am taking my son to DL the last week of September because he has a random day off of school. (Staff learning day???) I have decided to stay at the Desert Inn and Suites. It is directly acrosss the street from the main gate. Anyone stay there? Should I stock up on Lysol? I looked at a room on their website, and yes calling it a "suite" is pushing it. I don't really care as long as it's easy access to Disney, and clean. I just don't want total dump.

anyone?

jan
    Janette

• Minion

Re: The Desert Inn and Suites

It was a few years ago, a really clean place with excellent housekeeping, its only drawback being a rather ugly inside pool and hot tub.

It is passable now, but not what it was.
    Concentrate on the great location you have!
    It couldn't hurt to take the lysol, for your own piece of mind.

I've never stayed there, but my next door neighbors have stayed there a few times this year and absolutely love it! The kids came back raving about the hot tubs.

Have fun!!

JULIE

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Its a decent place. Only complaint I've had about it is that the mattresses on the hide a way beds are really thin.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• That Guy

Is this the place that is JUST next door to Denny's and has an indoor pool/spa? IF so, RUN for the hills, it is a flaming piece of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer
    Is this the place that is JUST next door to Denny's and has an indoor pool/spa? IF so, RUN for the hills, it is a flaming piece of crap.
    I hope not. According to trip advisors it rates a Pretty Fair/ok. I read the trip advisors on ALL the hotels and this one seems to have the least complaints.

jan
    Janette

• Ian The Fox

I heard that it wasn't so bad, but then again, I've never stayed there, so I wouldn't know.

Most hotels/motels should be okay. You might want to pick up an AAA Southern California book which rates all the hotels in the area with diamonds, so you sorta know what you're getting into before you get there.
    Woof!

• Minion

Don't panic-

Its a basic ** hotel

Its not a flaming piece of crap, and its not close to a ***.

You will have a great time!

• That Guy

No, but seriously, can anyone tell me if that is the hotel right next to the Denny's (on the side closer to DLR)

If so, that hotel is really a motel and it really does indeed suck and I would never, ever stay there again. I stayed at that hotel (the one next to Denny's) for three nights and it sucked so bad. Dirty carpeting, nasty rooms, bed sheets with like 10 thread count (AKA sand paper) it really, really sucked) I'm not one to say that lightly. I read reviews about places all the time, where people are super picky and I get to the hotel and I am surprised that the place is actually nice. This is NOT the case with that dump. It was dirty, loud, uncomfortable, et al.

The only good part was when we got to check out, that part was great!! Seriously, I agree that when staying somewhere while visiting DLR, you just need a nice, clean, basic room, but you will not get that at this establishment.

• Drunk On Disney

I stayed there last year and liked it. The rooms were clean and the "suite" part wasn't bad (an extra room off the main room with a couch and TV.)

I thought it was amazing for the money and close enough to Disneyland (I drove there because I have a AP with parking.)

I never went to the pool, so I can't vouch for it in any way.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• Banned User

I stay there all the time and haven't really had any problems. I don't really care about the place I stay at though as long as it's right across from my beloved Disneyland

[quote=Max Fischer]No, but seriously, can anyone tell me if that is the hotel right next to the Denny's (on the side closer to DLR)

I called and asked and they said it was right next door to Denny's. I'm gonna give it a try anyway, if it is unbearable I will move to the Candy Cane inn.

thanks for the info
    jan
    Janette

• That Guy

Jan,

It's possible that I might have had the Pet Cemetary room, where everything is wacky. I'm sure you guys will have a great time!

Best of luck.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Stayed there about 10 years ago. Something about the room (ventilation? not sure) got me sick. I was there only because of a group rate, and the experience kind of taught me something about taking up group rates.

However, that WAS 10 years ago, so if a new owner came in and brought some serious cleaning supplies through, it could be better. I think the Desert Palms (used to be the same owner, don't know now) is the one with the indoor pool. They are next door to the Candy Cane Inn.

• I Love Disneyland!!

Quote Originally Posted by Max Fischer
    No, but seriously, can anyone tell me if that is the hotel right next to the Denny's (on the side closer to DLR)
    Yes, The Desert Inn and Suites is the one on the side of Denny's closest to the crosswalk. The Del Sol Inn is behind the Denny's (you have to pass through the Denny's parking lot to get to the motel).

I would concider them both motels! They have doors that open up to the street (unless you are on the higher floors, then they open up to the outside walkway). I have stayed in both of these properties and they are fine for the money and excellent for the location. The continental breakfast consists of juice, toast and maybe a dainish. The rooms are fairly clean (but I had a horrible incident at the Del Sol Inn a few weeks ago where the bathroom was used! We checked in at 2:30am and we had to wake up the guy in the office to get a new room!)

The rooms at the The Desert Inn and Suites are smaller than the Del Sol Inn but if I were to describe them to anyone... I would say they are on the same lines as a Motel 6. Clean but basic. If you aren't used to MOTELS, I would not recommend either.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    I think the Desert Palms (used to be the same owner, don't know now) is the one with the indoor pool. They are next door to the Candy Cane Inn.
    Just an FYI - I stayed at the Desert Palms last month and I liked it a lot! They were clean. Indoor corridors and clean lobby area. Nice beds and nice family suites. Its worth the money to stay there but you would have to walk into the Timons parking lot and catch the tram. (about 2 city blocks worth of walking... not bad).
    I'm addicted and I don't care!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast