Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Little trip report about KBF and my comparison of it to Disneyland

I went to KBF (Knott's Berry Farm) yesterday as a award for being in my school choir. Let me tell you this: What shocked me was HOW crowded the park was. It took two and a half hours to ride Silver Bullet (probably because they were running only ONE train) and all the eateries were packed.

I think it was all the school's being there because, by 6, the park was EMPTY!

But of course we had to leave at 7, so I could only ride Ghostrider once.

Now for the comparison part:

You know I'm going to say Disneyland is better, but Knott's has good points too - Knott's Chicken Dinner restaurant and a few select rides. I, after hearing what you guys said about the Boardwalk on MC, I really did check it out, and your right - it's ugly.

The great thing about Disneyland is that is has the Hub, which really distinguishes itself from Knotts, sets all of its "lands" apart - I adore that aspect of Disneyland.

Knott's in itself is a mix-match of different themes - Western old town, Boardwalk, Main Street (??) and Camp Snoopy.

Ghost town and Camp Snoopy are under their own areas - but the Boardwalk really has no logo or anything.

But the thing that shocked me was that I actually saw DISNEY merchandise on their shelves (at the Victoria store outside). It was really funny.

But Knott's was fun, just DL is a lot better in many aspects.

DL is amazing to look for while on the freeway, I saw for a few glances the ToT, Matterhorn, MaliBOOMer, and one of the hotels.

It was fun - the best part of the trip!

Any ideas on what you guys think of Knott's and Disneyland (when you compare)?
    Last edited by A Disney Dreamer; 06-15-2006 at 01:33 PM.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Re: Little trip report about KBF and my comparison of it to Disneyland

Knott's has some great coasters. And it's cheaper than TDR so it always seems packed these days. We APs for Knott's too but usually end up at TDR even when we set out for Knotts. They OWN Halloween though. Scary Farm is a hoot if you avoid radio promotion nights (call cutomer services)
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Banned User

True - I have heard Halloween there is a blast!

Never seen it though. I think it would be neat if they developed some sort of FP system.

But everytime at 6 at night, Knott's IS EMPTY OF PEOPLE - it's the weirdest thing.

• Neep meep beep

I think you might want to consider buying a Knotts annual pass and staying there more often!

• Neep meep beep

And you have a good point regarding the hub - this is one of the things that "bugs me" about the design of California Adventure. Nothing like the radial spoke design of disneyland. And Disney could learn a thing or two about knotts chicken dinner - it's been successful for longer than Disneyland has been even thought of!

• Neep meep beep

Funny thing is, according to other sources, Knotts makes more money during October than all the other 11 months of the year combined, because of the halloween theming.

This is great, since October is a really slow month for theme parks, because everyone is in school.

• I'm your huckleberry.

I lost interest in Knott's after they took out the SoapBox Derby.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by a_hyperbole
    I lost interest in Knott's after they took out the SoapBox Derby.
    Word!

If you think teenagers are bad at DL, man, you have no clue! Knott's is more like a middle school hang out. I remember hanging out there all the time in middle school.

I still like that so much of the park has historical value, but they're really butchering the place by adding roller coasters and attractions with so little theming. Ghost Rider is great and it really matches the Ghost Town feel, but Silver Bullet? WTF? Nothing is silver! Here you are surrounded by lots of wood and iron, and BOOM, giant red/yellow/orange/etc. roller coaster supports jutting out from the ground.

I can't spend more than half a day at Knott's anymore.

But the biscuits at the Chicken restaurant are to DIE for!

• Banned User

we went to knotts for the very first time in 2003 we loved it, and will go back some day.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

I'm pretty sure Knotts its a lot smaller than Disneyland is. I remember it not taking as much time to walk everywhere

I enjoy the log and mine rides. KoD was fun, even when they put it into "educational mode." I truly enjoyed Knott's Berry Tales as a ride through and the 360 degree Rocket Jet's attraction: XK-1. I'm glad the gold panning is still there, although it's in a much smaller location. The Haunted Shack was funny and added character, as did the Melodrama.

Ultimately, I have the same fondness for Knott's past as I do for a pre-1998 Tomorrowland. A lot of what I enjoyed is/was dated, but it's still better than many of the newer addtions. Xcellerator is great, but like many others I'd still trade it for the Soapbox Derby.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    I enjoy the log and mine rides. KoD was fun, even when they put it into "educational mode." I truly enjoyed Knott's Berry Tales as a ride through and the 360 degree Rocket Jet's attraction: XK-1. I'm glad the gold panning is still there, although it's in a much smaller location. The Haunted Shack was funny and added character, as did the Melodrama.

Ultimately, I have the same fondness for Knott's past as I do for a pre-1998 Tomorrowland. A lot of what I enjoyed is/was dated, but it's still better than many of the newer addtions. Xcellerator is great, but like many others I'd still trade it for the Soapbox Derby.
    They got rid of it unfortunately

• Life is Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto
    Funny thing is, according to other sources, Knotts makes more money during October than all the other 11 months of the year combined, because of the halloween theming.

This is great, since October is a really slow month for theme parks, because everyone is in school.

in addition to being the original hount, the main reason they make so much bank in october is the haunt is a seperate admission. we try to go at least twice each season(i made it 3 times last year) also they make a lot of money by cram packing it full which is why we try to go early in the month and on a thurs or sun instead of the last 2 saturdays of the month.
    {:
    MCDA - A Healthier, Happier Me!

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by MAXandBELLESmom
    in addition to being the original hount, the main reason they make so much bank in october is the haunt is a seperate admission. we try to go at least twice each season(i made it 3 times last year) also they make a lot of money by cram packing it full which is why we try to go early in the month and on a thurs or sun instead of the last 2 saturdays of the month.
    {:
    Wow. That must be a fantastic attraction if you take your small children to the crowded park in October not once, not twice, but three times! I've actually never been, but maybe I'll take my little one this year.

• Life is Great!

i dont take my kids, its not reccommended for i believe ages 13 and under. we get a sitter. i do try to take the kids during the day on a weekend in october to go to camp spooky. by "we" i meant me and my hubby. its way to scary for little kids.
    {:
    MCDA - A Healthier, Happier Me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast