Disneyland Hotel vs Paradise Pier for December

We're going to Disneyland a week before Christmas and are trying to decide where to stay. I've stayed at the Disneyland Hotel before and like it. Is it worth an extra $140 for 3 nights at the Disneyland Hotel than the Paradise Pier? It is just DH and myself, so kids aren't a factor. What do you think and why? Also, isn't the Monorail closed at that time, so that is not a perk for the DLH for our trip.

• Closed Account

Re: Disneyland Hotel vs Paradise Pier for December

Quote Originally Posted by stampinshauna
    We're going to Disneyland a week before Christmas and are trying to decide where to stay. I've stayed at the Disneyland Hotel before and like it. Is it worth an extra $140 for 3 nights at the Disneyland Hotel than the Paradise Pier? It is just DH and myself, so kids aren't a factor. What do you think and why? Also, isn't the Monorail closed at that time, so that is not a perk for the DLH for our trip.
    Well if you consider your main purpose of going to DL and DCA is for the parks and not the hotel, the PPH would be cheaper. If you already stayed at the DLH, try something different.

As far as I recall from last Xmas, all the hotels are decorated the same and pretty much have the same ambiance.

If you plan on staying in your hotel room more than the park may I recommend staying at GCH!

• no flash photography...

even if the monorail is closed it's still closer than the paradise pier. I usually opt for the cheaper hotel..reason...I don't liek spending extra for a room a hardly use. I usually sleep and shower and I'm outta there.

I've stayed at both. I do not like one over the other. They are both nice.

• Disneyland Addict

If you have a costco card try their travel booking, it links you to the Disneyland travel company and they have 4th night free just like all the other sites, plus they give you a free character breakfast for everyone in your party, admittance to the Toontown Morning Madness and one $20 gift card for the exact same price as booking just through Disney Destinations website. We just booked for November that way at the Disneyland Hotel, so you know my choice of hotel now.

Quote Originally Posted by aliasdisney
    If you have a costco card try their travel booking, it links you to the Disneyland travel company and they have 4th night free just like all the other sites, plus they give you a free character breakfast for everyone in your party, admittance to the Toontown Morning Madness and one $20 gift card for the exact same price as booking just through Disney Destinations website. We just booked for November that way at the Disneyland Hotel, so you know my choice of hotel now.
    We do have a Costco card, but I just called them and they don't do the AP packages. We already have a pass, so we just need the hotel and by doing the AP package makes it so we can get a night free.

We'll be staying at the Grand Californian for the first time in September, so in December we want to book something else. Of course, we may get back in September and decide that we have to stay at the GCH again.
    Last edited by stampinshauna; 06-15-2006 at 12:49 PM.

• Banned User

paradise pier, hands down. use the extra money for goodies.....

• Food & Whine Aficianado

PPH is a bit more of a walk, but if you cut through GCH and into Downtown Disney it's not bad at all. And, really, it's not that much further at all unless you plan on doing lots of back-and-forth trips to the hotel.

I just came back from 3 nights at GCH and 2 at PPH and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by PPH...especially for $189/night (std view) vs. $422/night (premium theme park view). The icing on the cake was that they upgraded my room at PPH to a premium high-floor view of the whole resort for no charge. The room was actually bigger at PPH and the bed seemed equally comfy. The furnishings and bathroom weren't as nice, but still perfectly acceptable.

If you can score a semi-decent deal on a room at the Grand, however, go for it. Even though you will have just been there, you'll want to go again. But between the DIsneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier, I'd simply go for cost. Have all the rooms at the Disneyland Hotel been refurbished recently? I was warned by a friend to stay away because she said the rooms were lousy, but I think she may have been a few years behind the times.
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

• Banned User

look, do you plan to spend a bunch of time in your room? if not go PP, if you plan to stay in your room having fun and want style flair blah blah go for the other fancy places. I stayed at the PPH and I loved it. the bathroom was awsome, the beds were awsome and the whole place was awsome. and I saved a mint.

Pugman, you just have too much bloody money to spend on a hotel.

• Food & Whine Aficianado

Quote Originally Posted by taylorta
    Pugman, you just have too much bloody money to spend on a hotel.
    I don't see why my finances are any of your concern. Someone asked a question and I answered.
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Heck, if money is the concern, I'd stay across the road the the HoJo and spend the money saved on merchandise and food.

Really, at the end of the day if you have four walls and a ceiling over your head, and you can get to the gates fairly quickly, then you are sweet. As others have said here, if you are going somewhere for a holiday, chances are you will be spending more time outside your hotel room than in it. There is something a bit special about staying in a Disney Hotel - and I'll be doing just that in Hong Kong in September - but we are really only talking about minutes saved here, not hours. The price on the other hand, is something that is substantial...

I REALLY just wanted to chime in and say "thanks" so far to the contributors, as I am having a similar debate for my next visit. I might actually save the pennies at DL because I want to stay at one of the nicer hotels in WDW at the tail end of the next trip (Contemporary or something on the Monorail system). It is all a balancing act between having a good time and not returning home broke and destitute.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Thanks to everyone for their tips & advice. We booked our stay for the Paradise Pier, because it is cheaper and it's something new to try. That way next time we go we will have tried all of the DL on-site properties and we can decide what we want.

Also, on another board someone told me that the 4th night free can be booked through Expedia (as a room only), so this is what we did. It can also be part of an AP package booked throught Disney (but was $40-60 more depending on the hotel) or as a regular package booked through Disney or Costco if you need passes.