Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Can Offering Pay-per-Play Options Save Disney Theme Parks?

American amusement parks, in general, and Disney's, in particular, are faced with low earnings growth, so, unwisely, executives like Paul Pressler looked to cut costs in order to find additional growth.

There is, in my opinion, the potential for enlarging Disneyland's capacity and filling it better, but to do so will require ongoing capital improvements, which Disney is reluctant to undertake for a myriad of reasons, not the least of which is that new attractions do not necessarily increase attendance over the long term. So, the solution is fairly obvious to me in that it's a return to something quite old: the "A"-"E" ticket system.

Now, I'm not suggesting that the unlimited-use passports be discontinued, and I wouldn't want the "A"-"E" system to return in the same form. But, I think offering limited-use admission media as an option to guests would go a long way towards getting Disney out of this strategic planning conundrum in which the company has found itself while also helping to keep Walt Disney Imagineering intact.

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Can Offering Pay-per-Play Options Save Disney Theme Parks?

Sounds like a reasonable idea to increase capacity. It would put guests in queues more according to the price of the attraction, instead of now where price is not a consideration.
    Don't think it's reasonable to have two methods of payment per ride, though. That requires more thinking by queue CMs.

We could start by making the park itself less unequal in entrance fees for all.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist
    American amusement parks, in general, and Disney's, in particular, are faced with low earnings growth, so, unwisely, executives like Paul Pressler looked to cut costs in order to find additional growth.

There is, in my opinion, the potential for enlarging Disneyland's capacity and filling it better, but to do so will require ongoing capital improvements, which Disney is reluctant to undertake for a myriad of reasons, not the least of which is that new attractions do not necessarily increase attendance over the long term. So, the solution is fairly obvious to me in that it's a return to something quite old: the "A"-"E" ticket system.

Now, I'm not suggesting that the unlimited-use passports be discontinued, and I wouldn't want the "A"-"E" system to return in the same form. But, I think offering limited-use admission media as an option to guests would go a long way towards getting Disney out of this strategic planning conundrum in which the company has found itself while also helping to keep Walt Disney Imagineering intact.
    Save the Disney Parks! you make it sound that they are ready to shut the place down. as for a stragic planning conundrum, what is Disney doing that really is so bad that the parks need saving?
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Hmm, wasnt aware that Disney Parks needed saving. Guess these record crowds must be flukes.

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries

What you need to consider is the overhead that comes into play. You need new ticket booths, ticket sellers and tickets. Would the slight increase in capitol exceed the cost of implementing and maintaining the system?
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Cool Re: Can Offering Pay-per-Play Options Save Disney Theme Parks?

this sounds like an interesting idea. It is a double edged sword though, especially if both methods are being used. This would flood Disney with greenbacks because many people would be able to walk in the park for free, like before (Datenight at Disneyland anyone?) and buy food and souvies...but on the other end of the sword is a huge crowding problem such a stategy would create.

Back in the days of ticket books Disneyland used to heavily promote the fact that Disneyland could be a cheap and fun place to take a date during the Summer. Conceivably you could stroll into Disneyland and as long as you didn't buy anything inside have a free date (excpet parking of course). But of course people are going to buy food and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

I'm sure there is a reason they got ride of the tickets.
    I'm sure w/ cost of printing tickets, someone to take tickets etc....
    many rides not getting the full attention by guest because they didn't want to waste money on it.
    And just the fact the park will be full of people because they want to hang out if there was no admission fee or a small fee. I think we'd see merch. pricing go up and food too.

then again, I wasn't around then to say why the did it... but I would GUESS there is a good reason.

And does Disney really need saving. I'm sure they bank account for Disney is doing very very well.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLFreak71
    ...many rides not getting the full attention by guest because they didn't want to waste money on it...
    Nowadays, the monetary component is time.
    The beauty of the ticket book system was that you received tickets for all levels of attractions, so instead of "wasting" the tickets, guests would ride the main street vehicles, go to see Mr Lincoln, ride Dumbo, etc.

I don't minds crowds so much, if they're not in MY queue.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Zero Blockout Dates

UGGGGHHHH The A-E Ticket system. Talk about Yesterland. If Disney were dense enough to try this I know I'd rethink our family outings to someplace not as stupid.

Oh look, Knott's Berrry farm, one admission covers all rides, and look they have REAL rollercoasters that whomp anything Disney offers except for ToT and they got one of those too...it's just higher and outside a show building.

Oh look SixFalgs MM one price all rides...oh yeah and they have REAL rollercoasters not those sweet enough for your 90 year old granny to ride coasters.

See ya, Rat. Hello Warner Bros. Looney Tunes.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Nowadays, the monetary component is time.
    The beauty of the ticket book system was that you received tickets for all levels of attractions, so instead of "wasting" the tickets, guests would ride the main street vehicles, go to see Mr Lincoln, ride Dumbo, etc.

I don't minds crowds so much, if they're not in MY queue.
    Bull ... my mom STILL has a drawer full of A-D tickets.Literally HUNDREDS of them. I keep telling her to put 'em on eBay. You know someone will "want" them.

For us it was ALWAYS about the E-Ticket attractions. We never wasted time riding the trolley and only I saw Mr. Linciln when I had to do a report on him (mom pulled us out of school and took us to the Lincoln Library In Redlands and then zoomed out to DL....<warm happy memories moment>)
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by BDBopper

Back in the days of ticket books Disneyland used to heavily promote the fact that Disneyland could be a cheap and fun place to take a date during the Summer. Conceivably you could stroll into Disneyland and as long as you didn't buy anything inside have a free date (excpet parking of course). But of course people are going to buy food and stuff.

Isn't that what Downtown Disney is for now?
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

So would you rather eat at a stuff your face until your full restaurant rather than someplace nice that had an ala carte menu?

The way it is now is not fair. It forces people who are not riding every E-ticket attraction 6 times to subsidize those who are.

It also makes it difficult for Disney to justify the little attractions that by themselves are not much but helped make the place so much more magical back in the day. Anyone really think the Skyway, motorboats, and peoplemover would have really been axed if we still had A-E tickets?
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati
    Bull ... my mom STILL has a drawer full of A-D tickets.Literally HUNDREDS of them. I keep telling her to put 'em on eBay. You know someone will "want" them.

For us it was ALWAYS about the E-Ticket attractions. We never wasted time riding the trolley and only I saw Mr. Linciln when I had to do a report on him (mom pulled us out of school and took us to the Lincoln Library In Redlands and then zoomed out to DL....<warm happy memories moment>)
    Sorry, last I checked, one data point does not create a trend.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati
    UGGGGHHHH The A-E Ticket system. Talk about Yesterland. If Disney were dense enough to try this I know I'd rethink our family outings to someplace not as stupid.

Oh look, Knott's Berrry farm, one admission covers all rides, and look they have REAL rollercoasters that whomp anything Disney offers except for ToT and they got one of those too...it's just higher and outside a show building.

Oh look SixFalgs MM one price all rides...oh yeah and they have REAL rollercoasters not those sweet enough for your 90 year old granny to ride coasters.

See ya, Rat. Hello Warner Bros. Looney Tunes.
    Seems that DL and DCA were not built with you in mind. Some other 14 million people instead.
    I don't know why you go to DL at all. With or without ticket books, the other parks seem to have what you prefer. Have a good time.

• More Than Meets The Mouse

Maybe they could use the ticket books as front of the line tickets? Almost like a FastPass, but buying a ticket book with 2 tickets per A-E ticket rides, gives the holder of that ticket an automatic trip to the front of the line for their respective rides. Everything else stays the same, just an added extra that can be purchased if so desired. Also, given away as incentives for out of town travelers to purchase certain travel packages or to stay at certain hotels at or around Disney.
    Disneyland is the right of all sentient beings.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast