Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• #1 Spin and Marty fan

MBC?

I say remove the tracks - make way for someting new. As much as I loved the PM, it is gone. I never had the opportunity to do the Rocket Rods.

I just wish that Tomorrowland would get a makeover that made it look clean and futuristic rather than the "Jules Verne vomits DaVicni" look that is there now.
    Last edited by hornplayer; 04-16-2005 at 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling errors

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    I went to disneyland march 2001, around like 12, 13, 14 15 etc.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    I think the next logical step would be to design a ride vehicle that could run on the tracks. If the tracks need to be replaced, so be it. But don't rip it out completely. The problem with the Rocket Rods was that the cars were poorly designed. So design a vehicle that can actually do what you want it to do, one that can have variable speed, higher capacity, and less breakdowns. Once you have a car that works, you can modify the track any way you need to.
    Last edited by dramaqueen; 04-16-2005 at 05:07 PM.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Evan: You went MArch 2001 and they were working on the tracks? Boards and stuff? Tell me more.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    I think the next logical step would be to design a ride vehicle that could run on the tracks. If the tracks need to be replaced, so be it. But don't rip them out completely. The problem with the Rocket Rods was that the cars were poorly designed. So design a vehicle that can actually do what you want it to do, one that can have variable speed, higher capacity, and lees breakdown. Once ypu have a car that works, you can modify the track any way you need to.
    Lets not forget among the talent stable at WDI are artists painters story people and ENGINEERS.

As Dramaqueen notes, give them specs off what you need and what needs to be done with the track and budget it.

The basic "right of way" ie the 'route' the pm / rr track uses, is too integrated into all of Tomorrowland for it to go away forever. I'm sure WDI and Disney Co. execs have fond memories of a ride that gives guests a full tour of Tomorrowland. I'm sure City Hall gets a lot of questions about why theres not a TTA here or what happened to the old People Mover.

[QUOTE=hornplayer]MBC?

QUOTE]

Motor Boat Cruise

• Official Mice Chat person

The next logical step is definatly NOT TAKING THE TRACK OUT! Do you realize what tomorrowland would look like without it? I come from an artistic background, and having the track gone would ruin the land. It's a piece of art in it's self and it's design. Even the way it's pylons are shaped is awsome. The peoplemover track needs to be there, the purpose of the track above the heads wasn't ONLY for a trip around tomorrowland! The look and shape of the track and it's supports (mainly in the entrance area of TL) is Art! If it were gone the land would be off balance. The shape of the pylons (the "V" shaped ones towards the entrance of the land) are designed to have alook of kenetic energy, they have a futuristic kenetic feel to them. So what I'm trying to say is that with the track gone, it would only degrade tomorrowland more.

The next logical step (to me anyway) is to rip out the mechanics of the rocket rods track and put in something new for a re-designed slick new peoplemover. Rocket rods is unlikely, if the cars go really really fast than you can't have as much trains running on the track. With slower trains you can have much much more trains and even a higher capacity per train.

Just my humble thoughts and opinions. :-D

• CM for 4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandrocks55
    The next logical step is definatly NOT TAKING THE TRACK OUT! Do you realize what tomorrowland would look like without it? I come from an artistic background, and having the track gone would ruin the land. It's a piece of art in it's self and it's design. Even the way it's pylons are shaped is awsome. The peoplemover track needs to be there, the purpose of the track above the heads wasn't ONLY for a trip around tomorrowland! The next logical step (to me anyway) is to rip out the mechanics of the rocket rods track and put in something new for a re-designed slick new peoplemover. Rocket rods is unlikely, if the cars go really really fast than you can't have as much trains running on the track. With slower trains you can have much much more trains and even a higher capacity per train.

Just my humble thoughts and opinions. :-D
    I come from an artistic background myself.... in fact, I'm in college and busy majoring in it, but I also have a PRACTICAL background. And removing the PM track if they don't plan on using it would free up a lot of walkway, especially since that area in front of TM is so DAMN crowded.

If you came from an artistic background, you'd think the gold moutains or whatever in front of the land are hideous and the bubbly construction of the Astro Orbiter is ridiculous, and definitely far from futuristic.

"Round" is SO 1998!! :wink: I mean, look at the cars from that year-- all the Fords looked like bubbles. It looks silly and unfuturistic entirely. Square cut is the look of the future, because it's SLEEK!

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by melmel

If you came from an artistic background, you'd think the gold moutains or whatever in front of the land are hideous and the bubbly construction of the Astro Orbiter is ridiculous, and definitely far from futuristic.

Oh, I totally agree!! I never said they wern't hideous!! The bubbly construction of the astro orbiter was meant for the jules vern theme which should have never come to TL in the first place. The look of the astro orbiter and the rocks work great in Paris, but not in California. Paris's theme fits with them. The rocks should be removed and The astro orbiter needs to be re-done, or moved, it doesn't match anymore. And it takes up WAY more usefull space than the peoplemover track does. The Jules Verne theme died after a year or 2, especially once rocket rods were gone.

I come from a practical background too, and how is taking the track out practical? Sure it frees up some space at the entrance, but is it really worth it? :confused: It would cost a lot of money too, renevating the track 'might' be cheaper, or it might be more expensive, but overall having a ride would be better than having no ride, and I say that's practical! I guess it's all up to matt in the end. I'm not trying to fight or anything.
    Last edited by Disneylandrocks55; 04-16-2005 at 09:25 PM.

How much does anyone want to bet that the imagineers are thinking of a way to bring in the round monorail cars from the Incredibles movie? Of course they would have to redesign the entrance and exits for the buildings but if there is a will there is a way since it would help in the new Pixarization of Tomorrowland.

• Minion

>>It's a piece of art in it's self and it's design. Even the way it's pylons are shaped is awsome. <<

You mean like this:

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/View...900&p=71522369

>> I come from an artistic background myself.... in fact, I'm in college and busy majoring in it, but I also have a PRACTICAL background. And removing the PM track if they don't plan on using it would free up a lot of walkway, especially since that area in front of TM is so DAMN crowded.<<

I don't think the supports .. and the planters within the supports are as bad as the completely useless Star Tours Fastpass machines .. not to mention the diagonal rock formations standing right in the way of entering Tomorrowland. AND the ring of planters in what is left of Cosmic Waves. All these things create a heck of a lot more clutter than the PM track can. Talk about being PRACTICAL .. If Disney was practical they wouldn't have (also) moved the Rocket Jets/Astro Orbitor down to the center at the entrance.

Plus I think there is some exageration going on here about the stresses that Rocket Rods put on the track. I don't think it's as bad as some say ... and why would it be so difficult to take care of any repair work? In this world we build skyscrapers, and freeways .... This isn't so difficult - In the grand scheme of things.

Why would a new Peoplemover be so bad?

Put your mind at ease with those clunky boxy 4 train cars that were designed in 1965/66. (they demolished nearly all 62 trains anyway .. except one in the back at the TDA entrance).

.... It's 2005 ... you all don't think something so totally cool wouldn't knock your socks off ... and come off as a completely new and DIFFERENT attraction? Come now.

I still have faith in the guys and gals who created magic at Tokyo DisneySea .... Practically the only place on the globe that still shows that "Disney" magic is still just as mind-blowing and imaginative as ever.

So ... those tracks are so integrated into Tomorrowland ....... it's not just a ride to ride .. but it's ride to also behold from any vantage point in the land .. as it serves as "architecture" as if it were a Tomorrowland building.

I'm keeping my thoughts on a completely new system.

No more 1 and 2 minute thrills that families can't ride, please.

Rocket Rods was not just a mechanical fiasco .. it was a fiasco on so many other fronts.

The future is "More Family Attractions" for Tomorrowland. I hope.

• #1 Spin and Marty fan

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandrocks55
    The next logical step is definatly NOT TAKING THE TRACK OUT! Do you realize what tomorrowland would look like without it? I come from an artistic background, and having the track gone would ruin the land.
    Let's not forget that the tracks did not appear until 1967. Does this mean that the land was ruined before it even started? LOL
    Last edited by hornplayer; 04-17-2005 at 07:13 AM. Reason: spelling

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by hornplayer
    Let's not forget that the tracks did not appear until 1967. Does this mean that the land was ruined before it even started? LOL
    No, but pretty much every structure built after 1967 incorporates PeopleMover into its building somewhere. The most notable example of the continued need for PeopleMover is the Star Tours queue. It looks and feels awful with this big gaping track running through the middle of it. Yet, removing the track wouldn't work either, without a complete queue redo.

And of course, there's the issue of Rocket Tower. Tomorrowland needs a Weenie, now more than ever. But take out the PeopleMover track, and what do you do with that middle floor?
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Vehicle rotating backward

I think they should demolish the track that isn't part of the main thoroughfare of Tomorrowland. Leave that track to the hub and back behind and see if you can't get something mechanical running up there. Last time we had this thread, I suggested a fictional highway of futuristic vehicles to give you the impression that the place is busier and give you the feeling that the land is alive even when you're not here. The other lands have that feeling, TL does not.

Chevron won't like it, but alternative energy IS the future. No matter what method Disney uses, having Autopia cars running on something other than pure crude would make that ride interesting and more fitting to the theme than ever before.

• Banned User

They could just repopen the Peoplemover for the same money it would cost to totally remove the Peoplemover track

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast